Options

The constant furore surrounding the 'N word'.

Aura101Aura101 Posts: 8,327
Forum Member
Does anybody really care THAT much when they hear it?
Or is it just a media frenzy?

Looking at the cases of Jeremy Clarkson and Justin Bieber for example. They said a word which is spouted constantly in pop music, yet have been treated like serial killers .
(Though Justin's joke was obviously offensive but it was years ago and he was a child)

And the most hilarious thing about it is, the 'outrage' never seems to last more than a week.

What is the meaning of the 'N word' now in the 21st century?
Its a word which is used regularly in hip hop .
Recent examples where its used heavily, Nicki minaj: Nicki Minaj - Lookin Ass (Explicit): http://youtu.be/2mwNbTL3pOs She says the dreaded word god knows how many times! And she has a huge fan base of kids, so why is this acceptable?

Why is it acceptable for Jay Z and Kanye to use the word in a song title which was successful all over the world?

Surely the constant use of the word in popular music means its going to appear more acceptable to use the word.

Basically I don't get it, and an explanation would be nice :cool:

Is it OK to listen to these songs in earshot of other people who might hear 'the word!' ?

Comments

• Options
    UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not this crap yet again.

My advice is not to say it and there won't be any furore.

Unless you feel you have a burning need to say it in which case I'd have to wonder why.
  • Options
    kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    It's just fashionable to pretend that it's the worst thing ever, that it makes your ears bleed and that you need to take a bath if you've heard it.
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I hear it, I just think "that won't go down well" and move on.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm actually starting to miss the atheist threads.
  • Options
    semimintedsemiminted Posts: 3,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Media frenzy
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are hundreds of articles, blog posts, threads, explanations and books about this subject, and you still don't get it?

smh.
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZImSdnanWhs&feature=kp

Let it gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo....................................:(
  • Options
    davordavor Posts: 6,874
    Forum Member
    UKMikey wrote: »
    Not this crap yet again.

My advice is not to say it and there won't be any furore.

Unless you feel you have a burning need to say it in which case I'd have to wonder why.

I think that wasn't the point OP was trying to make. He was asking how come the N word is acceptable in music and nobody complains about it, but when people say it, it is a big deal.
  • Options
    Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    It's a word with huge historical baggage, especially (but not only) in the US.

Essentially it was used as a term of degradation by one racial group to another at a time when slavery was acceptable, and afterwards when it was still deemed as acceptable to discriminate and mistreat people on the basis of race in the most basic of ways. It seems obvious why it is therefore inappropriate for the racial group who used it in such a way to continue to use it.

There is an argument to be made around the racial group that was subjected to the term empowering themselves by reclaiming itand using it themselves, and I expect that is what the people you name would claim to be doing. That is a point which everyone doesn't agree on, but it doesn't mean that it is difficult to understand.

Play it safe and just don't use the word. It's not that hard really.
  • Options
    Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    davor wrote: »
    I think that wasn't the point OP was trying to make. He was asking how come the N word is acceptable in music and nobody complains about it, but when people say it, it is a big deal.

It's usually black musicians using it though isn't it. Perhaps that's where the difference is.
  • Options
    UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People who make those kinds of records regularly call women bitches and ****. Do you think that's acceptable in everyday language as well?
  • Options
    technology_lovetechnology_love Posts: 3,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The reason that people go nuts about it is because it has been used in a racist context or to insult.

Take the P world that describes a person from Pakistan. It's seen as racist because of how it has been used.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,800
    Forum Member
    ...clarkson's an arse...so him being pilloried for using it is ok by me..but it's sad that a pompous,ego maniacal,middle aged adulterer so craves attention he's prepared to put himself out there as a closet racist..
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm pretty sure "not this crap again" applies to that too...
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,269
    Forum Member
    This again? Just don't say it. It's not hard.
  • Options
    AOTBAOTB Posts: 9,708
    Forum Member
    Raquelos. wrote: »
    It's a word with huge historical baggage, especially (but not only) in the US.

Essentially it was used as a term of degradation by one racial group to another at a time when slavery was acceptable, and afterwards when it was still deemed as acceptable to discriminate and mistreat people on the basis of race in the most basic of ways. It seems obvious why it is therefore inappropriate for the racial group who used it in such a way to continue to use it.

There is an argument to be made around the racial group that was subjected to the term empowering themselves by reclaiming itand using it themselves, and I expect that is what the people you name would claim to be doing. That is a point which everyone doesn't agree on, but it doesn't mean that it is difficult to understand.

Play it safe and just don't use the word. It's not that hard really.

I'd say this sums it up perfectly.

I genuinely fail to see how people still get confused over what is a pretty basic thing to comprehend.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't like when it is used to abuse someone but there are too many sensitive non ethnic people who take offense at the use of the word when using it in a non abusive context.

I felt sorry for Emily when she got booted from Big Brother because she used the word in a 'street' sense.
  • Options
    davordavor Posts: 6,874
    Forum Member
    UKMikey wrote: »
    People who make those kinds of records regularly call women bitches and ****. Do you think that's acceptable in everyday language as well?

No, absolutely I don't. I think both to be unacceptable, especially in music that has such profound influence on young people. Someone said that it's usually black musicians using the N-Word in music. So what, should it be more acceptable if they are black? Lots of young people and teens who are not black are influenced by their music. Black people get offended when someone who isn't black say the n-word, yet black musicians themselves are using the word,setting a bad example to young people of any race and colour.
  • Options
    swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not just about the 'N' word. It's about whether that word ends with an -a or an -er.

The connotations behind each word is different.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,800
    Forum Member
    I don't like when it is used to abuse someone but there are too many sensitive non ethnic people who take offense at the use of the word when using it in a non abusive context.

I felt sorry for Emily when she got booted from Big Brother because she used the word in a 'street' sense.

...is it possible for a white person to use n*gger in a non abusive manner though ?...that's like saying motherf*cker is ok as long as it's not abusive..n*gger is derogatory whatever way a white person says it...this,i meant it in a street sense bollocks,is just nonsense..
  • Options
    shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Context.
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    kippeh wrote: »
    It's just fashionable to pretend that it's the worst thing ever, that it makes your ears bleed and that you need to take a bath if you've heard it.

Yeah, this really.

Think of it as blasphemy reinvented for the secular age and you won't go far wrong.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    Banning things only ever gives those things more clout. Black people, in reclaiming the word to now mean something endearing have blurred the lines where the lines were once strong. This give impressionable youths freelance to imitate their rap idols and start spouting the word as if it was the latest trend. Then what we have are confused faces of people who don't think the word should be used at all, in any context, yet it is a word so widely used and with so many different meanings that it all becomes a bit of a headache. The best outcome possible in this scenario is, when in doubt don't use the word. It is hardly rocket science.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    ...is it possible for a white person to use n*gger in a non abusive manner though ?...that's like saying motherf*cker is ok as long as it's not abusive..n*gger is derogatory whatever way a white person says it...this,i meant it in a street sense bollocks,is just nonsense..

Yes it is possible for anyone to use it in a non abusive sense. Such as talking about the character in Huckleberry Finn.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This seems to be a common debate and I genuinely can't understand the difficulty some people have with it . To personalise it My own experience as a white man is when I had a mixed race girlfriend how it felt for someone to use that word directed at her and it made me as angry as I've been in my life and I've also heard it used by others and im honest enough to say thar prior to having relationships with people who that word is 'aimed' either directly or indirectly I don't think I appreciated just how offensive it is . I knew it was offensive don't get me wrong but its hurt and damage is more understandable when your directly involved.

It's a horrid nasty offensive word designed to hurt , descriminate and dehumanise so best avoided surely ?