Options

How many interviews did it take you to get your first job and your latest job?

2»

Comments

• Options
    MoonyMoony Posts: 15,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My first job - 0.5 of an interview (I essentially walked up to the manager of the store and asked if he had any jobs going. He told me to come back next week and start work).

My latest job I didn't have an interview. I was offered the contract by a previous boss who already knew my credentials and suitability for the role.
  • Options
    LushnessLushness Posts: 38,170
    Forum Member
    For my first job it was the very first time I was interviewed, and I got it! I remember being so happy! Bless, the money was so crap as well! :D

Only the one interview to get my current job too.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    When I was young it was far easier to get employment.

I wouldn't like to be starting now:(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    When I was young it was far easier to get employment.

I wouldn't like to be starting now:(

Me as well. I only failed to get a job with one interview. I was with my last employer 30 years and passed each promotion interview.
  • Options
    n1guyn1guy Posts: 1,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My first job 1 interview, In fact most jobs I went for an interview for I got up until the last year or 2, My current job took me 4 interviews however its not right for me and have been for 8 interviews since with no luck, these days even getting called for an interview is a major success in itself
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    emnat wrote: »
    Many you should aim higher?

I had an interview with a board of directors which lasted nearly 4 hours long! It was for a pretty senior position but it pretty much left me feeling cold about the position and company. I turned it down before they could respond.
    Some businesses forget that they have to appear attractive to potential employees too!
  • Options
    Alan1981Alan1981 Posts: 5,416
    Forum Member
    I walked right into my first job without even having an interview back in 1998. It was an employee's market back then.

Since then I have had an interview with a panel of 3 which was nerve wracking. The worst by far though for me was this group interview I attended. We were made to make silly noises, build a tower out of paper and generally act like performing seals.
  • Options
    Alan1981Alan1981 Posts: 5,416
    Forum Member
    emnat wrote: »
    Many you should aim higher?

Maybe you should proof read your statement before posting.
  • Options
    DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For my first proper job I had to do a copy test, an interview and a further copy test, then a the-job's-yours-just-come-in-and-meet-the-boss-as-a-formality thing.

Second job, my mates hired me so no interview or anything.

I've only had two grown-up jobs.
  • Options
    ianxianx Posts: 9,190
    Forum Member
    I got my first job through shameless nepotism, and since then I've always moved job by being poached away by customers of the company I was working for, I've never had a job interview.
  • Options
    MidnightFalconMidnightFalcon Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never been to an interview and not been offered the job. On the other hand I don't change jobs very often.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alan1981 wrote: »
    I walked right into my first job without even having an interview back in 1998. It was an employee's market back then.

Since then I have had an interview with a panel of 3 which was nerve wracking. The worst by far though for me was this group interview I attended. We were made to make silly noises, build a tower out of paper and generally act like performing seals.

The worst type of interview! When are employers going to learn that these panel interviews and tasks do not bring out the best in people!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The worst type of interview! When are employers going to learn that these panel interviews and tasks do not bring out the best in people!

I hope I don't have one any time soon! Interviews with two people are stressful enough. How well they think you can do the job should be a factor in you getting it, not how well you cope in front of a panel of people. :o

I didn't get the job I was interviewed for I found out today btw. Meh.
  • Options
    AnitaSAnitaS Posts: 4,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope I don't have one any time soon! Interviews with two people are stressful enough. How well they think you can do the job should be a factor in you getting it, not how well you cope in front of a panel of people. :o

I didn't get the job I was interviewed for I found out today btw. Meh.

Oh that's a shame, best of luck for the next one. Maybe the interview process you've been through will be useful for the next application? Did they give you any feedback as to why you weren't selected?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AnitaS wrote: »
    Oh that's a shame, best of luck for the next one. Maybe the interview process you've been through will be useful for the next application? Did they give you any feedback as to why you weren't selected?

They said they liked me as a person but the successful candidate had previous direct experience in a similar company. :p
  • Options
    designer84designer84 Posts: 12,087
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whilst doing work experience I had an interview for Junior Designer at Zoo Magazine. I didn't get the position but they offered me freelance. That lasted 6 months on and off, then freelanced at a couple of other magazines. The Art Director of Zoo had left in this time and started work elsewhere. He remembered me and contacted me for a 3 week stint at the company. He showed me what to do, went on holiday for 3 weeks and was so impressed with me, I've been working with him for 7 years this year. He's now Creative Director and I design 2 magazines at once. I guess that even though I didn't "pass" the interview as such, it was just one ongoing "interview" that resulted in a job. Before that I was doing bar work for my parents. No interview required. lol
  • Options
    General LunacyGeneral Lunacy Posts: 735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In the old days I would get them on first or second attempt.

These days one of the other 962 applicants beats me to it.
  • Options
    Raring_to_goRaring_to_go Posts: 20,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One interview for my first job and only one interview for my last job, I then later received a telephone call from Saudi Arabia offering me the job.
  • Options
    malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,642
    Forum Member
    The most interviews I've had for one job, 2.

The job I'm in now, not even 1 interview really - more like a 20 minute chat where we didn't really even talk about the job on offer!