Options

Need a cheap, thin and very quiet keyboard

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,396
Forum Member
✭✭✭
My laptop keyboard isn't working properly and I can't afford to replace it yet (I've only just got the screen replaced and now the keyboard and my charger port is playing up! It's been problem free since I had it and 3 problems in one come along, just my luck...)

I want the keyboard anyway just as a backup. I'm borrowing one right now but it's really loud and chunky, it's in the way of the bottom part of my screen so my start menu is 3x it's normal size so I can see the buttons haha.

Which cheap keyboards are really quiet to type on and flat/thin?

Comments

• Options
    Mr DosMr Dos Posts: 3,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So you're using a keyboard ON TOP of the LT keyboard? Holey moley - if the LT ain't broke it soon will be. Put the replacement keyboard on the desk, then you will be able to see the task bar. Since the LT is on the way out, do you really need a LT ie do you carry it to college/work etc? If you just need a home pc, a desktop will give better performance per £ spent.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My laptop keyboard isn't working properly and I can't afford to replace it yet (I've only just got the screen replaced and now the keyboard and my charger port is playing up! It's been problem free since I had it and 3 problems in one come along, just my luck...)

I want the keyboard anyway just as a backup. I'm borrowing one right now but it's really loud and chunky, it's in the way of the bottom part of my screen so my start menu is 3x it's normal size so I can see the buttons haha.

Which cheap keyboards are really quiet to type on and flat/thin?

Make sure the lunk who replaced the screen hasn't borked the charge port or left the kb connector only part connected.

Might be less of a coincidence than you think.
  • Options
    alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    Cheap, thin and quiet - think you may not find anything like that...thin, quiet and more expensive then maybe!
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The charger port is probably a fiver to fix plus the dismantle/reassemble time normally for a DC jack and a lot of keyboards are dirt cheap on ebay and some are just one screw and it gets released for replacement but that assumes it is those parts not the mainboard and at that point its......ouch
  • Options
    chappiechappie Posts: 299
    Forum Member
    you can get a rubber keyboard for less than a fiver on E Bay, thin ,quiet & cheap.
  • Options
    s2ks2k Posts: 7,421
    Forum Member
    shhftw wrote: »
    Make sure the lunk who replaced the screen hasn't borked the charge port or left the kb connector only part connected.

Might be less of a coincidence than you think.
    I was thinking the same thing. Could be the ribbon wasn't seated right when he/she put the keyboard back after working on the screen.

OP, what is the make and model of the laptop? If you are confident we might be able to talk you through removing the keyboard. Even if it is broke then a replacement can usually be had on fleabay for ~£20 or so depending on the model.
  • Options
    and101and101 Posts: 2,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chappie wrote: »
    you can get a rubber keyboard for less than a fiver on E Bay, thin ,quiet & cheap.

I have tried those rubber keyboards, it is like trying to type on a ZX Spectrum. They work if you need a keyboard that is waterproof but won't get a lot of use but not much good for using everyday.