Options

What is the cheapest holiday you've had?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,396
Forum Member
✭✭✭
For any reason. :)

For me a trip to Holland this year was really cheap thanks to the Megabus and friends who live over there!

Comments

• Options
    BMRBMR Posts: 4,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had a couple of Sun and Mirror cheap holidays, and both were fine, although we spent much more than the base price on days out,and, in the case of one of the holidays a ferry to the Isle of Wight.
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Camping trips.
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Free. Got a mate who works for Thomson and she would phone up every now and again asking if any of us could take a few days off work as they had unfilled plane seats and hotel rooms if anyone wanted them. But it was always leaving the next day
  • Options
    RooftopcowboyRooftopcowboy Posts: 7,242
    Forum Member
    About 10 years ago we got a special offer for being a regular Going Places customer (yes we used to go to the travel agent back then!) and got a holiday for Majorica for £99 each for a weeks b&b, the hotel was actually quite nice and far from the worse we have stayed in!
  • Options
    d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A week in Haven in Scarborough one October many years ago. It was (unsurprisingly bloomin' freezing! Never again)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I had an 8 month old baby, I got a free week in a gite in France in return for decorating it. Oddly enough, it was one of the best holidays I ever had. We just didn't do much except go for little walks in the French countryside, feed the horse down the road, and watch our daughter crawling about exploring while we painted. She was enchanted that the outside of the house was almost covered with a giant grape vine full of purple grapes, and ate so many that I thought she would be ill, but she never was, only her nappy was full of pips.
  • Options
    Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Been on a few of the Sun's £9.50 holidays. Great value, stayed in almost brand new caravans on more than one occasion. On one of the holidays we stayed in a lovely wooden lodge type thing.
  • Options
    EStaffs90EStaffs90 Posts: 13,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Like BMR and Miss XYZ, mine would be a £9.50 one from the Sun.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Apart from spending money a week in Tenerife cost the two of us NOTHING.

We got free accommodation for simply attending a time share presentation, which was held at a local hotel here, and at the time there was the Hoover free flights deal and I was in the trade at the time and so managed to wangle a couple of tickets :)
  • Options
    Wbc-WorkerWbc-Worker Posts: 815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blondie X wrote: »
    Free. Got a mate who works for Thomson and she would phone up every now and again asking if any of us could take a few days off work as they had unfilled plane seats and hotel rooms if anyone wanted them. But it was always leaving the next day

I know what you are on about as I also had a friend who worked in the IT department of Thomson Holidays so would get the call every so often.

Sometimes we would know the date and Airport but we did not know the destination so we would show up at some desk and they would hand out boarding cards.

Sometimes we would not find out where we were staying until the flight arrived although it was flight and Hotel only so there was no free meals.

This is long before there was any Air Passenger Duty and long before you had to be at a airport many hours before any flight so sometimes we had to race to the boarding gate with only seconds to spare.

It was mainly midweek flights so we had to watch out we did not waste our Holiday allowance so there was many times we would turn it down if it ran though a weekend.

I was amazed at how many free flights there was - we went to Paris for a few days and there was over 20 of us staying at the same Hotel who had a connection to Thomson Holidays.

One thing for sure we did not do - was tell anyone our flights/hotel was free just in case it would start a riot.
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saas Fee (Switzerland)
    4 Night Skiing Trip
    5* Hotel - Half Board
    Flights with Swiss Air
    Transfers, Ski Hire, Ski Tuition

£49.00

Further afield

A weeks all inclusive in Jamaica £199.00

A week touring Australia (Sydney, Melbourne, Alice Springs & Ayers Rock) - £199.00

Or the best one a small group tour for 7 nights in Zimbabwe, upgraded to Business Class on the way out - Cost: FREE
  • Options
    Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had a winter holiday in Tenerife for about £130 a few years ago.
  • Options
    TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EStaffs90 wrote: »
    Like BMR and Miss XYZ, mine would be a £9.50 one from the Sun.

Same here regarding the Sun hols, had several and no real complaints about any of them.

Did get a free week many years back, as the hotel we were booked into had a flood and some of our clothes and my camera were ruined. The owners sent us down the coast to one of their other hotels, and they replaced the clothes and camera straight away.
  • Options
    lea_uklea_uk Posts: 9,648
    Forum Member
    Do the ones my parents paid for count?
  • Options
    PpuncherPpuncher Posts: 294
    Forum Member
    I was in dubai for work and for one reason or another was given three weeks off. In nice hotel on expenses. I was on my own so not a family holiday but free none the less. In fairness dubai is pretty boring pretty quickly.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 403
    Forum Member
    Goa. Skyscanners provide cheaper than cheap flights and a couple of adults can easily get by on £30 a day.
  • Options
    NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Three weeks in Pensacola, cost me nothing but food and drink.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 237
    Forum Member
    £600 for a two week holiday is Spain, it was one of them holidays where you don't know where your going until you are there.

When we got there they said we had a villa with a pool.
  • Options
    BlofeldBlofeld Posts: 8,233
    Forum Member
    I was sent to Switzerland for 2 weeks with work to do a course. That was quite hard going, so wasn't a holiday itself.

However, on the weekend in between the courses my company paid for us all to have 1st class, unlimited train travel across the entire country. We could go literally anywhere we liked inside Switzerland, including boats, coaches, mountain railways and the famous panoramic train routes. Anything! All food and drink paid for as well for the whole weekend, as well as the hotels too. Switzerland isn't that big so we saw a hell of a lot of it that weekend for absolutely nothing!

In terms of holidays I've actually paid for myself. I once got Ryanair flights to Germany (Bremen) for £12 return (all in). I stayed with a friend so all I ended up paying was about £50 for some food while I was there and train tickets to get to where she lived!
  • Options
    BlofeldBlofeld Posts: 8,233
    Forum Member
    Ppuncher wrote: »
    I was in dubai for work and for one reason or another was given three weeks off. In nice hotel on expenses. I was on my own so not a family holiday but free none the less. In fairness dubai is pretty boring pretty quickly.

I had a 2 day stop over in Dubai on my way to China in June. I was never too fussed about seeing the place, really, but it knocked about £170 off the air fare compared to just changing planes there. I found A cheap hotel too, so decided to just go for it. I arrived late at night and didn't venture out until the morning. I did the Dubai Mall, Creek and the Burj Khalifa and various other attractions but after that it became quite a boring place to be. There is nothing there apart from expensive shops, expensive hotels, expensive desert excursions, expensive waterparks. I failed to find anything authentic. Oh well, live and learn!

Would use the airport again, but unless I had to I would avoid the city completely!
  • Options
    barlowconnorbarlowconnor Posts: 38,120
    Forum Member
    One from the sun.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Took the kids to the sea side last year for 2 nights and stayed in Premier in, £25 per night :(
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A colleague of mine had just done a weeks holiday in Jamaica staying at Sandals, got upgraded on the last night to a butler suite for the cost of £199.00.

I did weeks cruise from Venice down the Adriatic & into Greece for £149.00 at the end of August plus flights with Ryanair (approx £60.00 return).
  • Options
    LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2 weeks housesitting for a friend who had a lovely house in a beautiful part of Somerset (cost of petrol only)and 10 days in Gascony staying in my friend's sister's massive house.

My friend wanted to go to visit her parents, who were living in the sister's annexe, and wanted someone to share the driving. Cost me absolutely nothing.

Apart from that, camping trips.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,944
    Forum Member
    A week in Corfu last year, booked on the Monday, went on the Friday. £89 each for named accomodation.