• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hope it's named "Joanna Lumley's Lady Garden"
  • bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AnnaliseZ wrote: »

(From the article: "The Government's infrastructure plan also pledged a further £50 million to redevelop the railway station at Gatwick Airport". £50m for a station; you could probably build at least 500 houses for that.

I know there's a bit more to a station than a raised platform next to the track, but how can it possibly cost that much? And what's wrong with the station now? It seems to work!)
  • Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Will you have to pay to walk over it? Reading that article I got the impression that you would have to pay to walk and view the gardens.

I'm sure that it will be lovely and beautiful, however it's going to cost £150 million!!! I know that a lot of that money has come from private donations and £4 million of it is is coming from Transport For London. However, there's still a lot of tax payer's money going into that. I'm not sure how I feel about all that money ebign spent on a garden bridge. I think there are a lot more important things that the money should be spent on.
  • AnnaliseZAnnaliseZ Posts: 3,912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will you have to pay to walk over it? Reading that article I got the impression that you would have to pay to walk and view the gardens.

I'm sure that it will be lovely and beautiful, however it's going to cost £150 million!!! I know that a lot of that money has come from private donations and £4 million of it is is coming from Transport For London. However, there's still a lot of tax payer's money going into that. I'm not sure how I feel about all that money ebign spent on a garden bridge. I think there are a lot more important things that the money should be spent on.

£30 million from the government as part of a £375 billion investment in UK infrastructure. So yes it's huge but comparatively not so much, and the majority is being funded privately.

What kind of differences would you expect this kind of thing to have on the mood of people who live in built up areas of London (if any). I've lived in both the city centre and far out in the countryside, and I couldn't believe the difference having green space around me had on my mood. And then what are the knock on effects of that... It doesn't work for everyone I'm sure but I believe there are real benefits of being outdoors - which largely gets overlooked as we lead increasingly busy lives. So when I see a project like this, it feels like a step in right direction to me.
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member

People probably said the same when things were built years ago that we still use today so I guess it will be money well spent.
  • CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    luba wrote: »
    As much as I love trees and shrubs, I just can not accept £30milion being spent on it.
    In London again I see, why not York or some other city in the North which has rivers?

Because they don't need a new footbridge linking two transport hubs with each other, which is what this bridge is being developed for I would suspect.

I think it's a great idea, providing they also ensure it's well kept and there's decent enough CCTV (or similar) to make it a safe walkway to use at night.
    Meilie wrote: »
    Sheffield, Leeds and York don't need a garden bridge when they're surrounded by countryside.
    I think people are missing the point here, inner London is a lot of tarmac and concrete. York is already very green.

Also true :) the area around the River Ouse as it goes through York is lovely in most parts with a lot of riverside walks and pubs.
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    OOOOOOO!!! i love it!!!
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    Hope it's named "Joanna Lumley's Lady Garden"

[HIGHLIGHT]HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!![/HIGHLIGHT]
  • JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member
    Yeah, we really, really are. I would call one trillion pounds in debt pretty skint. We're just trying to live it large on someone else's money.
    We are also in the top 5 nations for our defence budget.
  • PrincessTTPrincessTT Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It looks great... I look forward to making use of it when it's here.