Options

Anyone else bored with The Chase?

Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I am speaking as an ex fan who watched this quiz for two years, but is now finding it boring and want to know if other people have gone off The Chase. I'm starting to find, like a lot of other afternoon game shows, it doesn't have a break any more, when there are no new shows, ITV throw out old repeats, Bradley Walsh's comments are becoming unfunny, the banter with the Chasers is predictable usually involving the Governess's weight, and some of the contestants are trying to become celebs by acting up. I'm not saying scrap the show, but maybe cut it down as overkill destroyed shows like The Weakest Link and Millionaire.

Comments

• Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No - now pointless that's another matter.

What's wrong with the existing The Chase thread for this?
  • Options
    BryanandLucBryanandLuc Posts: 1,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They could do with some more Chasers
  • Options
    zackai48zackai48 Posts: 800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find it unwatchable when The Beast is the chaser- but other than that it is a great quiz. Bradley is a fine host.
  • Options
    eye3eye3 Posts: 2,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. I've stopped watching. Same with Deal.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tbh yes and I wouldn't have said that not long ago. Problem is, as has been said, it's on all the time. I thought this new game show, 1000 Heartbeats might have replaced it to give it a break but no such luck. I think give it a break, let it breathe and replace it, for now, with something else till summer or something. Maybe a new chaser or two to freshen things up to
  • Options
    PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes i agree 1000 heartbeats is much better. /end sarcasm
  • Options
    davie1924davie1924 Posts: 2,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not at all, love it, I even watch re-runs on Challenge tv.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes i agree 1000 heartbeats is much better. /end sarcasm

Not saying it is, am just saying it could have been used to give it a break!
  • Options
    Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    The Chase seems to have been going forever! Does it ever have a break?
    I find it quite a bore these days - I prefer Dishy Ben and Tipping Point TBH!! That's more my type of entertainment - simple and fun! (but that's just me!)
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Glenn A wrote: »
    I am speaking as an ex fan who watched this quiz for two years, but is now finding it boring and want to know if other people have gone off The Chase. I'm starting to find, like a lot of other afternoon game shows, it doesn't have a break any more, when there are no new shows, ITV throw out old repeats, Bradley Walsh's comments are becoming unfunny, the banter with the Chasers is predictable usually involving the Governess's weight, and some of the contestants are trying to become celebs by acting up. I'm not saying scrap the show, but maybe cut it down as overkill destroyed shows like The Weakest Link and Millionaire.
    I got bored with The Chase and Pointless and now only watch the celeb specials.
    I do that as it's easy to choose an episode. I know I could just randomly download a regular episode from during the week but waiting for the specials makes the choice for me.
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I got bored with The Chase and Pointless and now only watch the celeb specials.
    I do that as it's easy to choose an episode. I know I could just randomly download a regular episode from during the week but waiting for the specials makes the choice for me.

I think The Chase needs a break, so does its big rival Pointless. It's not a bad show by anyone's standards, the questions can be tough, but now ITV are running it into the ground in the same way BBC One did with The Weakest Link.
  • Options
    mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member
    Bored with all the quiz shows, pointless, same banter, countdown, why are channel four still showing it, must get no viewers in its time slot, dond, great show but no break either last year. Agree BBC destroyed the weakest link showing it so much, likewise for all these shows, why not have a three month break. They are even repeated on challenge!
  • Options
    Benjamin SiskoBenjamin Sisko Posts: 1,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still think the Chase is by far the best gameshow ITV currently has to offer, but in fairness they do seem to be hammering it into the ground a bit. Not to mention the human element of the fact that Bradley and the Chasers have to deliver the goods for about 150 (30 weeks, not including repeats in half term!!) episodes a series which is an extraordinary amount for any show.

Smaller bursts like 60 episodes a series (12 weeks) would benefit the viewers and the crew and allow more room for fresh blood for ITV.
  • Options
    TheManWhoLaughsTheManWhoLaughs Posts: 7,271
    Forum Member

Smaller bursts like 60 episodes a series (12 weeks) would benefit the viewers and the crew and allow more room for fresh blood for ITV.

More Chasers would be a bit of a compromise, at least - some new blood would liven things up in terms of the "banter" at least, even if the format wasn't much different.
  • Options
    Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you are bored of it don't watch it, and then when you are ready, start watching again!

Nobody is forcing you to watch every night.

You can guarantee if The Chase was taken off, by one minute in, there would be a thread here demanding that the new quiz was dire and that they should bring back The Chase. The ratings for Pointless, which is on much more often than The chase would then shoot up.

They could bring in a 5th chaser to freshen it up a bit though.
  • Options
    mklassmklass Posts: 3,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am not bored with the programme but what I am bored with is some of the questions!....... And the fact that the contenders don't really stand much of a chance of winning!..........

I consider myself quite an intelligent person but some of those questions you would have to be a brain of Britain to answer, or work in particular fields to have any knowledge of what they are even talking about!........

I know they cant win all the time but I wonder what the ratio is of winning and losing!..... it would be interesting to know!........
  • Options
    Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
    Forum Member
    Andy23 wrote: »
    If you are bored of it don't watch it, and then when you are ready, start watching again!

Nobody is forcing you to watch every night.

You can guarantee if The Chase was taken off, by one minute in, there would be a thread here demanding that the new quiz was dire and that they should bring back The Chase. The ratings for Pointless, which is on much more often than The chase would then shoot up.

They could bring in a 5th chaser to freshen it up a bit though.

That's what I do with very repeated shows, watching every day would be too much but watching it every once in a while is enjoyable and because it's always there it's always possible to do that when you want to, the Weakest Link also got very repetitive after a few viewings.
  • Options
    MicrokorgMicrokorg Posts: 2,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoy it, like the format, but agree it needs more/different chasers & a little break
  • Options
    Sifter22Sifter22 Posts: 12,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's definitely lost its spark. Needs a break and some new chasers.
  • Options
    allafixallafix Posts: 20,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mklass wrote: »
    I am not bored with the programme but what I am bored with is some of the questions!....... And the fact that the contenders don't really stand much of a chance of winning!..........

I consider myself quite an intelligent person but some of those questions you would have to be a brain of Britain to answer, or work in particular fields to have any knowledge of what they are even talking about!........

I know they cant win all the time but I wonder what the ratio is of winning and losing!..... it would be interesting to know!........
    Errm, I think that's the idea. If it was won more often the chaser's offers would have to be lower. I think the balance is about right.

Sorry, I hate to be a punctuation critic, but !........ after every sentence? :o

===================================================

If you watch The Chase every afternoon you may well get bored with it. I watch it sometimes and it remains fresh. Same with Pointless.
  • Options
    P.RamleeP.Ramlee Posts: 684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd like to see some new chasers be brought in to give the show a fresher look but definitely keep Bradley as host.

The format of the quiz itself is fine.
  • Options
    LyceumLyceum Posts: 3,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not me. Love a bit of The Chase.

I don't even want new Chasers. I like the four we have and think that's more than enough.

I quite like Pointless but find the actual question format boring if that makes sense? I like the hosts and the banter but the questions take too long to answer and they often pause for dramatic effect, dragging it out even more. So I tend to get bored half way through and switch off.
  • Options
    mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member
    Seems the money has dropped a lot. Mark used to give loads of dosh away. Maybe they could go with the american format. Offering 100.000 for just one step away from the chaser once in a while when they had a really good contestant.
  • Options
    shirlt9shirlt9 Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    I like the fact it's quick fire questions. .Most of the fun of quiz shows to me is playing along. .its on at tea time. .everyone at home (some days) it's easy to join in..can't stand longwinded waits on quiz shows. .millionaire used to make me feel frustrated because it was so slow. .this and eggheads can keep going as long as they like for me.
  • Options
    JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have stopped watching but at least for people to win something it needs skill, unlike Deal or No Deal. Tipping Point also relies too heavily on luck for my liking.