Options

Lost: Simple question

Why was the island shown underwater at the start of the series?

Thanks for the knowledge,

Phil

Comments

• Options
    tommyd1258tommyd1258 Posts: 6,923
    Forum Member
    It's up for debate but the most logical explanation I've heard is that it was just to illustrate that in the alt-universe/afterlife the island did not exist.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    Yes you could argue, that it was both there and not there in the afterlife, acting as a benign / malign influence.
  • Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it was just a cheat/red herring to make you think the bomb sunk it and we were in an alt. universe.
  • Options
    Weeping DreamsWeeping Dreams Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tommyd1258 wrote: »
    It's up for debate but the most logical explanation I've heard is that it was just to illustrate that in the alt-universe/afterlife the island did not exist.

It did exist. Ben and his father talked about it over breakfast.

You could surmise that it was under water many years in the future after the protector failed to protect it and the cork was removed again but this time not replaced.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You could surmise that it was under water many years in the future after the protector failed to protect it and the cork was removed again but this time not replaced.

And the world ended? It was certainly implied that the world would end (or at least really nasty things would happen) if the island wasnt protected.

Maybe thats why there were all dead :D
  • Options
    Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Which was why they never crashed on the island in the alt universe/purgatory.
    Lizzy11268 wrote: »
    And the world ended? It was certainly implied that the world would end (or at least really nasty things would happen) if the island wasnt protected.

Maybe thats why there were all dead :D

Who knows, just one of the many questions they left unanswered. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    BuboBubo Posts: 110
    Forum Member

Was this ever explained? Are we to assume Ben and his dad had had a memory flash at some point previous? How come Ben didn't recognise Alex/Locke/Russou/Anyone?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bubo wrote: »
    Was this ever explained? Are we to assume Ben and his dad had had a memory flash at some point previous? How come Ben didn't recognise Alex/Locke/Russou/Anyone?

Probably not. They seemed to feel as if they neednt bother. ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 328
    Forum Member

Yes, the island could have sunk (died) at any time in the future, even millions of years and showed up in the afterlife/purgatory universe along with losties who also died as it was important to their lives.
  • Options
    trollfacetrollface Posts: 13,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it was just a cheat/red herring to make you think the bomb sunk it and we were in an alt. universe.

This.
  • Options
    carnoch04carnoch04 Posts: 10,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You all seem to be missing the point that the "flash-sideways" was created by the imagination of the losties. It wasn't real so the Island never sank. Same as Jack didn't marry Juliet and have a son and Sawyer wasn't a cop!
  • Options
    circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    carnoch04 wrote: »
    You all seem to be missing the point that the "flash-sideways" was created by the imagination of the losties. It wasn't real so the Island never sank. Same as Jack didn't marry Juliet and have a son and Sawyer wasn't a cop!

it was made in their sub coincious so maybe they subconciously created an imaginary universe where the hydrogen bomb did go off and the island did sink to the bottom of the sea, allowing their purgatory world to exist how they wanted it without the island?

what doesnt really make sense is juliet sacrificing herself was all for nothing? as the island didnt sink
  • Options
    carnoch04carnoch04 Posts: 10,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    whedon247 wrote: »
    it was made in their sub coincious so maybe they subconciously created an imaginary universe where the hydrogen bomb did go off and the island did sink to the bottom of the sea, allowing their purgatory world to exist how they wanted it without the island?

what doesnt really make sense is juliet sacrificing herself was all for nothing? as the island didnt sink

As Islands don't tend to sink, even after a nuclear explosion it was a bit of a long shot.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Why doesn't that make sense? They thought setting off the bomb was going to save them all - the fact that she was wrong doesn't make it nonsensical. No one expected it to sink anyway.
  • Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bubo wrote: »

They left when Ben was still a kid, giving him time to get his doctorate in European History. Way before Rousseau arrived on the island (presumably never happened), Alex was born, etc.
  • Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

None of them remember the island/bomb though, apart from Daniel who was pretty sure he had set off a nuke.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why doesn't that make sense? They thought setting off the bomb was going to save them all - the fact that she was wrong doesn't make it nonsensical. No one expected it to sink anyway.

yeh true it can be explained with it just not working as they wanted,its just the s6 opening made it seem it worked

obviously now we know that wasnt the case but i think writers could have done a bit better job explaining that
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    paulbrock wrote: »
    None of them remember the island/bomb though, apart from Daniel who was pretty sure he had set off a nuke.

subconsciously...dont have to remember it

i mean if island didnt go down in real life and you say it didnt go down in purgatory land either that means the s6 opening shot is just completly fake and pointless...i dont think thats the case persoanlly
  • Options
    SXTonySXTony Posts: 2,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    precession wrote: »
    Why was the island shown underwater at the start of the series?

Thanks for the knowledge,

Phil

Not quite the simple question you thought, eh? :D
  • Options
    jessicatjessicat Posts: 202
    Forum Member

I also agree with this.

The writers had quite a lot to say about what they were up to after the season 6 premiere aired (full interview here):

As Damon Lindelof explains:

"We knew that the ending of the time travel season was going to be an attempt to reboot. And as a result, we [knew] the audience was going to come out of the “do-over moment” thinking we were either going start over or just say it didn’t work and continue on. [We thought] wouldn’t it be great if we did both? That was the origin of the story....

...Should you infer that the detonation of Jughead is what sunk the island? Who knows? But there’s the Foot. What do you get when you see that shot? It looks like New Otherton got built. These little clues [might help you] extrapolate when the Island may have sunk. Start to think about it. A couple of episodes down the road, some of the characters might even discuss it."

So according to the writers, the intention of that shot was to make the audience think about why and when the island got sunk.

I remain unconvinced that they had even planned to make the flash sideways some form of afterlife/ purgatory from the start of the season.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yeh im with you...i dont think they knew where they were heading at the time
  • Options
    Mr.LavigneMr.Lavigne Posts: 923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yeh im with you...i dont think they knew where they were heading at the time

They knew.

Rose said to Jack "you can let go now"
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr.Lavigne wrote: »
    They knew.

Rose said to Jack "you can let go now"

yeah i noticed that; after watching back LA X, I am pretty sure they knew exactly where they were going with the 'flashsideways' then
  • Options
    Danny_GirlDanny_Girl Posts: 2,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe I've got it wrong but wasn't the 'flash sideways' where we saw the island under water really the 'world' that all the characters created in order to allow themselves to meet in the afterlife before they moved on. Given that then it should more acurately be described as a 'flash forward' as the characters could only meet there after the last person had died, presumably one of the survivors of the island e.g. Kate who had died many years later. If you've followed this and are with me on it then 2 theories:
    1) Something really happened to the island in the subsequent years that put it under water. We'll never know what it is, just another of those Lost curve balls.
    2) The island isn't really under water, it's just that in the world the characters have created they have chosen to see it under water to help them move on to the next life/heaven.

Does that make sense?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Danny_Girl wrote: »
    Maybe I've got it wrong but wasn't the 'flash sideways' where we saw the island under water really the 'world' that all the characters created in order to allow themselves to meet in the afterlife before they moved on. Given that then it should more acurately be described as a 'flash forward' as the characters could only meet there after the last person had died, presumably one of the survivors of the island e.g. Kate who had died many years later. If you've followed this and are with me on it then 2 theories:
    1) Something really happened to the island in the subsequent years that put it under water. We'll never know what it is, just another of those Lost curve balls.
    2) The island isn't really under water, it's just that in the world the characters have created they have chosen to see it under water to help them move on to the next life/heaven.

Does that make sense?

It does make sense. You could also say that the Island had to "die" and the light go out before they could all meet up. In fact you can make up anything you want. You could say that sometime in the future a group along the lines of Dharma went there and started breeding Kangeroos. The population of the Roos got out of control and all the jumping up and down sunk the island.
    Until the writers give a definitive plot line no one can say you're right or wrong.:)