Options

Is £200 too much to pay to go to a concert?

Comments

• Options
    culturemancultureman Posts: 11,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you feel that at £200 Madonna is exploiting your fandom? If Yes, how much do you mind,not enough to still allow yourself to be exploited?

As a wider point, the cost of anything is irreconcilably related to your ability to afford it. If you're rich £200 might as well be £2. If you're poor £200 might as well be £2000.
  • Options
    DEADLY_17DEADLY_17 Posts: 9,262
    Forum Member
    Its worth if your dedicated and love her and would love to see her live imo. If you can afford it why not she puts on a fantastic show.
  • Options
    Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anne Droyd wrote: »
    £200 quid. Are you having a laugh?:rolleyes:

I paid £250 to go and see Leonard Cohen a couple of years ago so...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am not a fan of her new song but as an entertainer she is second to none. her shows are fantastic and energetic. We are going dressed as 80's Madonnas. I can not wait!!
  • Options
    Anne DroydAnne Droyd Posts: 1,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I am all for watching Rising Damp but £250 to go and see him. YOu must be mad:rolleyes:

and he is dead:(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AnnaliseZ wrote: »
    I do - and I LOVED the superbowl performance - she just gets better and better.

I just don't know if I can actually justify going to see her for £200 - I might not get a good view - and I HATE queuing!!

Driving to work on Monday listening to Heart FM. Their news round-up covered the fact that she'd done the Superbowl.

That was it. They didn't even report the result of the global event she was a bit part player in.

"NFL final supports Madonna gig......" FFS.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am all for watching Rising Damp but £250 to go and see him. YOu must be mad:rolleyes:

and he is dead:(

Haha - well then there are quite a few mad folks around cos he sold out a world tour.

I wouldn't pay anything like that kind of money for anybody else though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Funny.

How many cd's do you have amazing memories of?

I've got loads! Many an amazing moment in my life has a sound track to it because of what CD (or cassette) was playing at the time.
  • Options
    RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In my youth...

I saw Eric Clapton, Jean Michel Jarre, Frankie Goes To Hollywood, Prince, Bobby Brown and Live Aid in a field in Derbyshire with a big screen.
    Oh and Party in the Park and a couple of out of the way festivals..
    (Fairport Convention Reunion)

Not all to my taste but cracking events. I do remember them 20 years later. :)

I also remember they didn't seem to cost that much. But times have changed.
  • Options
    MicroSmurfMicroSmurf Posts: 1,463
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    £200 I think is outrageous for any gig, I haven't been to a gig for years because of the spiralling cost. I used to be a big concert goer back in the 80's and 90's, maybe do 2 or 3 a week and never paid anything like what they are now.
    Looking through my old ticket stubs the most expensive was £36 for Roger Waters in 2002, but most were about £6.50 or thereabouts, £8.50 for Pink Floyd at Wembley stadium in 1988. Even Donington festival was cheap and the most expensive one I have is £17.50 for 1988.
    Even with inflation I think fans are being exploited, it seems that artists are using cheap CD's to promote massively expensive concerts whereas in years past it was the other way round where the concerts were cheap and used to promote the CD etc.
  • Options
    netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I paid a couple of hundred to see him a couple of years ago, he sang for 3hrs and was worth every penny.
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've heard that the fact she can't really sing shows in her concerts, so you might be wasting all that money. Unless the show she puts on is more important.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I paid a couple of hundred to see him a couple of years ago, he sang for 3hrs and was worth every penny.

You weren't at the O2 were you - July 17th ? Stoatie was there too although we didn't hook up.
  • Options
    netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You weren't at the O2 were you - July 17th ? Stoatie was there too although we didn't hook up.

I saw him at Liverpool and Manchester. I paid that cash twice :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw him at Liverpool and Manchester. I paid that cash twice :eek:

Oh my !! Twice. Wow you lucky thing.
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    £200 for a Concert seems a lot. Sign of a very greedy artiste.:rolleyes:

I've never paid more than £75 for a Concert ticket (Paul McCartney who i'd imagine is a far bigger commercial draw than Madonna and could easily command higher...but doesn't).

£45 got me right at the very front for Shania Twain in Hyde Park. Brilliant concert and uninterrupted view throughout.
  • Options
    culturemancultureman Posts: 11,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In my youth...

I saw Eric Clapton, Jean Michel Jarre, Frankie Goes To Hollywood, Prince, Bobby Brown and Live Aid in a field in Derbyshire with a big screen.
    Oh and Party in the Park and a couple of out of the way festivals..
    (Fairport Convention Reunion)

Not all to my taste but cracking events. I do remember them 20 years later. :)

I also remember they didn't seem to cost that much. But times have changed.
    I believe I paid 50 pence to see Blondie.
  • Options
    AnnaliseZAnnaliseZ Posts: 3,912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ginger Nut wrote: »
    Driving to work on Monday listening to Heart FM. Their news round-up covered the fact that she'd done the Superbowl.

That was it. They didn't even report the result of the global event she was a bit part player in.

"NFL final supports Madonna gig......" FFS.

it was brilliant - I wasn't even a little bit interested in the superbowl itself zzzzzzzzzz
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wings Venus and Mars. The amount of C i scooped off that mother would carpet Gillingham.

Wings????!

Oh please... :p:p:p
  • Options
    BrunoStreeteBrunoStreete Posts: 7,180
    Forum Member
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    £200 for a Concert seems a lot. Sign of a very greedy artiste.:rolleyes:

I've never paid more than £75 for a Concert ticket (Paul McCartney who i'd imagine is a far bigger commercial draw than Madonna and could easily command higher...but doesn't).

£45 got me right at the very front for Shania Twain in Hyde Park. Brilliant concert and uninterrupted view throughout.

Paul McCartney is no way a bigger commercial draw than Madonna.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depends how decaded you are to the artist etc

MicroSmurf wrote: »
    £200 I think is outrageous for any gig, I haven't been to a gig for years because of the spiralling cost. I used to be a big concert goer back in the 80's and 90's, maybe do 2 or 3 a week and never paid anything like what they are now.
    Looking through my old ticket stubs the most expensive was £36 for Roger Waters in 2002, but most were about £6.50 or thereabouts, £8.50 for Pink Floyd at Wembley stadium in 1988. Even Donington festival was cheap and the most expensive one I have is £17.50 for 1988.
    Even with inflation I think fans are being exploited, it seems that artists are using cheap CD's to promote massively expensive concerts whereas in years past it was the other way round where the concerts were cheap and used to promote the CD etc.

In this digital download era it is the concerts where the money is now made.
  • Options
    BrunoStreeteBrunoStreete Posts: 7,180
    Forum Member
    MicroSmurf wrote: »

Album sales have dropped tremendously since those days, now there is very little money in physical sales for most artists so touring is the way they make their money.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He's a fantastic singer - but I think £250 is bordering on greed... It's partly why I'm in two minds about my madonna tickets
  • Options
    Killer GorillaKiller Gorilla Posts: 3,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would not pay £200 to see anyone sing. I think concerts are about the most overrated thing ever.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AnnaliseZ wrote: »
    He's a fantastic singer - but I think £250 is bordering on greed... It's partly why I'm in two minds about my madonna tickets

To be fair that was for two tickets. And it would have been cheaper if I had gotten them earlier direct from the venue. Ended up having to go through a ticket agency though. And I paid for my sister's ticket as well since she is not a huge fan like me.