Options

Programmes Missing From Bbc/itv Player

JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,103
Forum Member
This morning I notice that the 7.30 episode of Coronation Street from last night is not on ITV Player but the 8.30 episode is. Also on BBC I player there is no sign of The Graham Norton Show. But both are on the online I players. So what is going on? I was hoping this would be a reliable catch up service. My recording of Graham Nortom failed last night so I thought no problem I can catch it on the new BBc I player. But its not on there. And as for itv player. Why have one episode of a soap but not the other?

Comments

• Options
    KesterKKesterK Posts: 3,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JEFF62 wrote: »
    This morning I notice that the 7.30 episode of Coronation Street from last night is not on ITV Player but the 8.30 episode is. Also on BBC I player there is no sign of The Graham Norton Show. But both are on the online I players. So what is going on? I was hoping this would be a reliable catch up service. My recording of Graham Nortom failed last night so I thought no problem I can catch it on the new BBc I player. But its not on there. And as for itv player. Why have one episode of a soap but not the other?

The graham norton show is there now, corrie still missing.
  • Options
    fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Several HD versions missing from last nights iPlayer as well.

Still, it's better than the woeful selection of programmes that Demand 5 has. We only really use Channel 5 for their kids shows, and none of them are on there. Luckily, we have the Xbox 360 and iPad versions which are infinitely better.
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Wednesday's Michael Palin arrived in HD yesterday.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Channel 5's catch up service on Sky is pretty dire.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Channel 5's catch up service on Sky is pretty dire.

I think that's a pretty generous appraisal. Last Saturday and Sunday brings up NO programmes whatsoever.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    derek500 wrote: »
    Wednesday's Michael Palin arrived in HD yesterday.

Jesus, what takes them so long? They've only just got last nights HD shows on there. Are they serious about this service or not?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that's a pretty generous appraisal. Last Saturday and Sunday brings up NO programmes whatsoever.

I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt lol it may get better but i'm not holding my breath. Besides, calling it utter shite will probs bring down the wrath of the Demand 5 lovers (all 2 of them)
  • Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jesus, what takes them so long? They've only just got last nights HD shows on there. Are they serious about this service or not?

is that directed to bbc or sky?
    the content comes from bbc afterall and bbc manage the process it seems (based on discussions elsewhere), maybe there is a delay at bbc end.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chenks wrote: »
    is that directed to bbc or sky?
    the content comes from bbc afterall and bbc manage the process it seems (based on discussions elsewhere), maybe there is a delay at bbc end.

Both of them. They are working in partnership to deliver this service. Sky want as many people as possible using their On Demand service. The BBC want as many iPlayer requests as possible. Wherever the problem lies, the other party should be kicking their arse to get content out to viewers as quickly as possible.

Having iPlayer on my Sky box is hugely convenient and my first port of call. But if I can't get the content I want ( like HIGNFY in HD this morning ) I'll get it elsewhere.
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Still, it's better than the woeful selection of programmes that Demand 5 has. We only really use Channel 5 for their kids shows, and none of them are on there. Luckily, we have the Xbox 360 and iPad versions which are infinitely better.

One good thing about Demand 5 on the Sky box is that sometimes they preview episodes a week early. The first episode of the new series of The Mentalist was available in HD several days before its debut on Channel 5 last night. Impressive.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I find that BBC iPlayer populates the programmes for the day far quicker than the other players. By 7pm yesterday I noticed the schedule of downloadable shows was up to date for several channels. ITV Player, Demand 5 by 7pm barely got past the afternoon...if at all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having iPlayer on my Sky box is hugely convenient and my first port of call. But if I can't get the content I want ( like HIGNFY in HD this morning ) I'll get it elsewhere.

It's there now!!

Perhaps they look at BARB figures and realise that the vast majority who have availablilty of BBC One HD and BBC HD, still only watch the SD channels, and prioritise the upload of SD content first?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's there now!!

Perhaps they look at BARB figures and realise that the vast majority who have availablilty of BBC One HD and BBC HD, still only watch the SD channels, and prioritise the upload of SD content first?

Interesting point...... But the content is coming through a Sky+HD box..... Surely anyone can view the HD content on iPlayer, even if they don't have an HD subscription, or indeed an HDTV?? Plus, the use of progressive downloads means users are less affected by slower connection speeds. If that is the case, then why bother with the SD versions at all? Wouldn't it make much more sense to prioritise the HD versions?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    I find that BBC iPlayer populates the programmes for the day far quicker than the other players. By 7pm yesterday I noticed the schedule of downloadable shows was up to date for several channels. ITV Player, Demand 5 by 7pm barely got past the afternoon...if at all.

Listen here. I have a hangover, am very grumpy, and just wanted to watch HIGNFY in HD this morning. Don't be coming on here with you considered, rational, sensible views. The Internet is not the place for that kind of talk. :p:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Listen here. I have a hangover, am very grumpy, and just wanted to watch HIGNFY in HD this morning. Don't be coming on here with you considered, rational, sensible views. The Internet is not the place for that kind of talk. :p:D

Bwahahahaha!

HIGNFY missing from iPlayer is God's way of saying don't watch it and bring back Angus! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting point...... But the content is coming through a Sky+HD box..... Surely anyone can view the HD content on iPlayer, even if they don't have an HD subscription, or indeed an HDTV?? Plus, the use of progressive downloads means users are less affected by slower connection speeds. If that is the case, then why bother with the SD versions at all? Wouldn't it make much more sense to prioritise the HD versions?

It would be interesting to to see SD/HD breakdowns of catch-up downloads. I expect SD will win easily, as on all the services SD seems to be the default.

On iPlayer, all the main icons; Featured, Most Popular, Comedy etc. etc. link to SD content only. HD has to be sought out.

Why on a 100% HD platform this is the case, I don't know. Less stress on servers perhaps?
  • Options
    dazbdazb Posts: 3,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Channel 5 content on iplayer is just awful,
  • Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dazb wrote: »

awful? i'm amazed that there would be Channel5 content on iplayer in the first place!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would be interesting to to see SD/HD breakdowns of catch-up downloads. I expect SD will win easily, as on all the services SD seems to be the default.

On iPlayer, all the main icons; Featured, Most Popular, Comedy etc. etc. link to SD content only. HD has to be sought out.

Why on a 100% HD platform this is the case, I don't know. Less stress on servers perhaps?

HD takes up more space on my box when I record shows from the channels. It's only with downloading that I'm able to fit programmes on when there's limited space.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dazb wrote: »

They put content on? That's unusual for them! :D I'd call the choices sparse if there was more stuff!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just noticed something else, not sure how much significance it holds.

On Sky, the SD episode of HIGNFY has credit squeezing and continuity voiceover suggesting it was copied from the BBC One feed as it was broadcast. However, the HD version on Sky doesn't, suggesting it was uploaded from the original material.

So if HD and SD files are coming from different sources, it could go some way to explaining why they are appearing at different times. Not that it helps the viewer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just noticed something else, not sure how much significance it holds.

On Sky, the SD episode of HIGNFY has credit squeezing and continuity voiceover suggesting it was copied from the BBC One feed as it was broadcast. However, the HD version on Sky doesn't, suggesting it was uploaded from the original material.

So if HD and SD files are coming from different sources, it could go some way to explaining why they are appearing at different times. Not that it helps the viewer.

From the basic iPlayer Q&A's:-
    Some programmes – particularly those in HD format or recorded live – can take several hours to appear in BBC iPlayer. Programmes which will be available to download and/or watch in the future will state Coming Soon.

http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/help/prog_availability/

Also, worth noting, the DOG on Sky's version (HD content anyway) is in a different position to the online version.

Higher and lefter, and anyone with overscan enabled would almost certainly lose most of it.
  • Options
    RestorerRestorer Posts: 2,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From the basic iPlayer Q&A's:-

http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/help/prog_availability/

Also, worth noting, the DOG on Sky's version (HD content anyway) is in a different position to the online version.

Higher and lefter, and anyone with overscan enabled would almost certainly lose most of it.

Quite the opposite for SD content where it floats practically in the middle of the screen :eek:. Way further in than the online or TV app versions :(.
  • Options
    Dansky+HDDansky+HD Posts: 9,806
    Forum Member
    Wish we could hide all SD where there is a HD version of same programme
    and all progs are shown like online but greyed as not available in full original broadcast order

Hope that makes sense.

Regards?

Dan.
  • Options
    swillsswills Posts: 4,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I would not have thought it is Sky's fault, the content is sent down the line from the BBC, so it's them surely ?