Options

time to axe pensioners bus passes?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 386
Forum Member
Normal bus fares have rocketed since these were introduced. The poorest people in society, the young, are now being priced out of busses. As well as homes and jobs.

The age of these bus passes has now gone up to 68 so young people now will probably not get them unless they live to over 128.

These passes are just a bribe to get away with a low state pension. Would rather a sustainable amount was paid than bribes to try and fool people.

Comments

• Options
    Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can I just clarify your first sentence ? Are you saying bus prises have gone up because of bus passes ? It does read that way but could also read that this has happened inspire of them.

Also, if they were introduced as a bribe then what happens if they are removed ?
  • Options
    barky99barky99 Posts: 3,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the free bus passes are funded by us getting some money back from EU that UK has paid in
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sniffle774 wrote: »
    Can I just clarify your first sentence ? Are you saying bus prises have gone up because of bus passes ? It does read that way but could also read that this has happened inspire of them.

Also, if they were introduced as a bribe then what happens if they are removed ?
    Yes I am, several times when the bus prices increase one of the reasons given is the reduction in the substudy paid for pensioner and disabled bus passes.

The point is they cant remove the bribe as they are scared of pensioners and don't care for the young.
  • Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    Yes I am, several times when the bus prices increase one of the reasons given is the reduction in the substudy paid for pensioner and disabled bus passes.

The point is they cant remove the bribe as they are scared of pensioners and don't care for the young.
    you do know that Concessionary Travel Passes are not new they have been going that i know of for over 40 years my be longer as i remember my grandparents having then it was tokens
  • Options
    Forum Member
    tim59 wrote: »
    you do know that Concessionary Travel Passes are not new they have been going that i know of for over 40 years my be longer as i remember my grandparents having then it was tokens

I'm talking about the free bus passes brought in by labour in 2008ish.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I could have had a free bus pass in 1996 when i became disabled, these passes are not new they have been going for years for people over working age and over the years in was extended to disabled people.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I could have had a free bus pass in 1996 when i became disabled, these passes are not new

The nationwide pensioner free bus pass is new end of.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The nationwide pensioner free bus pass is new end of.
    The only real difference is that before you could only use your pass to travel in the boundry of your on city or town, the new pass is universal for the uk and allows it to cross over to a different county
  • Options
    dosanjh1dosanjh1 Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member
    Normal bus fares have rocketed since these were introduced. The poorest people in society, the young, are now being priced out of busses. As well as homes and jobs.

The age of these bus passes has now gone up to 68 so young people now will probably not get them unless they live to over 128.

These passes are just a bribe to get away with a low state pension. Would rather a sustainable amount was paid than bribes to try and fool people.

Some people know the cost of everything but the value of nothing.

Getting the elderly in our society out and about is good for them and you, it keeps them social and active potentially staving off many of the afflictions that come with old age, as my old auntie says "It keeps my blood going round and my head clean." what of the ancillary savings to the NHS, GP visits etc. Loneliness is reakoned to be one of the countries biggest killers - the free bus pass gives social interaction.

Also I think kids on busses are more likely to behave if there are elderly people on it which makes a more pleasant journey for all!
  • Options
    nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought that bus fare increases were mainly caused by such things as rising fuel prices and other operating costs.

If pensioners didn't use buses during the off-peak hours how many services would simply be cut because they weren't economically viable?

I don't think I'd want a service which only ran 1 bus an hour.
  • Options
    JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member
    How much does it cost us each year?
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    barky99 wrote: »
    the free bus passes are funded by us getting some money back from EU that UK has paid in

What?

Free bus passes are funded by the UK, Scottish and Welsh governments generally through funding provided to local government - nothing to do with the EU. We probably are paying for free travel passes in some member states though - with our taxes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    JB3 wrote: »
    How much does it cost us each year?

The freedom pass scheme in London - which is of course far more generous as it covers the tube/rail as well - costs about £320m a year. I think the overall cost nationally isn't far off £1bn.

Of course they could scrap the outside the area concession - so you only get free travel locally. Not sure for example why a pensioner from Dorset coming to London for a weekend away/theatre trip gets free travel on London buses?
  • Options
    TeeGeeTeeGee Posts: 5,772
    Forum Member
    I have a bus pass and it is totally useless. No buses of any convenience either by time or destination. If however you have one in London or Greater Manchester they are worth their weight in gold with all the available options.

They should be paid for and offer similar facilities country wide.
  • Options
    JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    The freedom pass scheme in London - which is of course far more generous as it covers the tube/rail as well - costs about £320m a year. I think the overall cost nationally isn't far off £1bn.

Of course they could scrap the outside the area concession - so you only get free travel locally. Not sure for example why a pensioner from Dorset coming to London for a weekend away/theatre trip gets free travel on London buses?
    That doesn't sound an awful lot, considering the numbers of people over 60, I think it's going up to 65 soon.

I suppose you could tinker at the edges of it and not let pensioners in Dorset travel for free to London, but it's not going to amount to a whole heap of beans , is it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dosanjh1 wrote: »

Getting the elderly in our society out and about is good for them and you, it keeps them social and active potentially staving off many of the afflictions that come with old age, as my old auntie says "It keeps my blood going round and my head clean." what of the ancillary savings to the NHS, GP visits etc. Loneliness is reakoned to be one of the countries biggest killers - the free bus pass gives social interaction.

Also I think kids on busses are more likely to behave if there are elderly people on it which makes a more pleasant journey for all!

Gosh talk about being selfish.

Gone are the days when pensioners were the poor people in society. The poorest by far are the young. No jobs, can't afford a house and face working for their entire life.

The people that can least afford the bus end up paying for rich pensioners to use it.

There is no nationwide scheme to get even reduced bus travel for job seakers, outside of London.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Gone are the days when pensioners were the poor people in society. The poorest by far are the young. No jobs, can't afford a house and face working for their entire life.

The people that can least afford the bus end up paying for rich pensioners to use it.
    Have the bus companies had to put their prices up because of pensioners using their free bus pass, because that is what you were claiming
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hang on.........I've just got the application form to apply for my Freedom Pass in a few weeks time !

Give us a chance !

It's not clear how they work out the 'cost' because those tubes and buses would presumably be running anyway.......and of course there's no guarantee that old folk would make (and pay for) the same number of journeys if they didn't get a card
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Have the bus companies had to put their prices up because of pensioners using their free bus pass

Yes. And already discussed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes. And already discussed.

No because it is funded by the government, The government pay the bus company so the bus companies are not losing money.
  • Options
    MadamfluffMadamfluff Posts: 3,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There is no nationwide scheme to get even reduced bus travel for job seakers, outside of London.

On the Isle of Wight Job seekers get 1/2 price travel on buses, AND reduced travel on the hover (with the ferries looking to start a scheme of their own) I am sure other posters from other parts of the UK can tell your about JS reduced travel in their own areas
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dosanjh1 wrote: »

Why are pensioners more important than the young?

Have you ever thought about the health affects of people who are still living at home in their 30s, can't afford a car, huge uni debt and can only get a low skilled job?
  • Options
    Forum Member

Exactly - in London the freedom pass covers zone 1-9 and includes 24 hour travel on the buses, trams, DLR and tube with free travel on national rail after 9am. If you had to buy the equivalent ticket it would cost over £3,000 a year - equivalent to 60% of the state pension a year. Its an incredibly generous concession - and a lot of London pensioners have massive housing wealth (average house prices now over £400k) and good pensions so aren't what one might call all exactly poor.

Since last year all over 60s living in London get the pass - unlike outside London where age eligibilty is linked to the state pension age. So you can have a 60 year old city banker or high court judge getting free travel to work - whereas a 25 year old cleaner on £12,000 has to pay full fare.

Who am I to say what is fair?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No because it is funded by the government, The government pay the bus company so the bus companies are not losing money.

Wrong. These passes have pushed up the cost for others as they reduce the amount they pay, the bus companies said so.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Madamfluff wrote: »
    On the Isle of Wight Job seekers get 1/2 price travel on buses, AND reduced travel on the hover (with the ferries looking to start a scheme of their own) I am sure other posters from other parts of the UK can tell your about JS reduced travel in their own areas
    Well good for them, but in the UK I think its only London that offers half price. Glasgow have just ended their scheme.