EE Lee Carter: what's the plan for him?

_elly001_elly001 Posts: 11,937
Forum Member
✭✭
I have to admit I'm really confused about the whole Lee situation on EE. He comes into it for a few episodes, seemingly as nothing much more than a potential suspect in the Lucy storyline, then gets sent away again.

Danny-Boy Hatchard who plays him has recently been cast as a main character in a film which is due to come out in the autumn, so he presumably won't be doing much filming between now and then. However he has been on set recently filming something according to a Leo Richardson tweet (which he promptly deleted suggesting that Lee's return is meant to be a secret.) I'm sure that I read a while back that Lee is meant to be a regular character, not a recurring, yet at the moment he very much feels like a recurring character.

So I suppose my question is what do people want to see from Lee in the future? Is he even needed in the Carter clan now they have so much other stuff going on, does he work best as a recurring character that returns home occasionally, will he turn out to be Lucy's murderer meaning his stint on the show will probably end in February next year, or does he have long-term potential with a permanent home in the square?

Comments

• priscillapriscilla Posts: 34,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope he doesn't return.
  • DanslinkDanslink Posts: 8,365
    Forum Member
    He's my least favourite Carter. I love the Mick/Linda/Johnny/Nancy dynamic. The inclusion of Lee is superfluous.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm still not convinced that there was really any need to create this character.

Nancy and Johnny were perfectly fine as it is, and now with Lee on the scene, all three will be competing for minimal screentime. And it is too much of a stretch to believe that Mick and Linda would be parents of three adults. Two grown up children I can swallow, but three, nah!

I'm really liking Nancy and Johnny so far, but I'm not really keen on Lee at all.
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the only reason Lee was created is because he is the killer of Lucy. Once its revealed the family is then ripped apart and Lee can exit from the show. I think its very telling that in all the promo and continued promo its only Danny, Kellie, Sam and Maddy together. Danny Boy Hatched has done no promo with them as a family member. Even last weeks Heat magazine only focused on Sam and Maddy being the Carter kids.
  • _elly001_elly001 Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked Lee for the short amount of time he was in it but I do agree with people here that he appears a bit superfluous. Perhaps if they'd brought him in a bit further down the line when the Carters were going through a quiet patch he might have been able to integrate a bit better. As it is, I can't help thinking he was brought in purely to link the Carters to the Lucy storyline. I really can't see any other reason why he was brought into the show and I think it's a shame as I do think Danny-Boy is a good actor who I'd have liked to have seen settle into things a bit more.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the only reason Lee was created is because he is the killer of Lucy. Once its revealed the family is then ripped apart and Lee can exit from the show. I think its very telling that in all the promo and continued promo its only Danny, Kellie, Sam and Maddy together. Danny Boy Hatched has done no promo with them as a family member. Even last weeks Heat magazine only focused on Sam and Maddy being the Carter kids.

But has that been a purposeful decision or is it just that Danny-Boy hasn't been around when they've been doing promo? Surely he was only on set a couple of weeks to film the short stint he did, which may mean he's been doing other things when the other Carter actors have been doing promo.
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    _elly001 wrote: »
    But has that been a purposeful decision or is it just that Danny-Boy hasn't been around when they've been doing promo? Surely he was only on set a couple of weeks to film the short stint he did, which may mean he's been doing other things when the other Carter actors have been doing promo.

Perhaps but I get the impression the show know he wont be a long term fixture so are putting more effort into Sam and Maddy.

The creator of Midsomer, the show DTC started his career on, said in an interview the best way to keep a killer secret is to keep them off screen. Out of sight, out of mind. Lee fits that view.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps but I get the impression the show know he wont be a long term fixture so are putting more effort into Sam and Maddy.

Maybe. With Sam and Maddy, they may just be more in demand because they've become well established in the show, hence the Heat interview and stuff like that. At the moment they've got much a higher profile than Danny-Boy so it follows that they're going to be given more opportunities for promotion. But it could suggest, like you said, that he isn't going to be a long term fixture. I really don't know, to be honest!
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
  • boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    _elly001 wrote: »
    I have to admit I'm really confused about the whole Lee situation on EE. He comes into it for a few episodes, seemingly as nothing much more than a potential suspect in the Lucy storyline, then gets sent away again.

Danny-Boy Hatchard who plays him has recently been cast as a main character in a film which is due to come out in the autumn, so he presumably won't be doing much filming between now and then. However he has been on set recently filming something according to a Leo Richardson tweet (which he promptly deleted suggesting that Lee's return is meant to be a secret.) I'm sure that I read a while back that Lee is meant to be a regular character, not a recurring, yet at the moment he very much feels like a recurring character.

So I suppose my question is what do people want to see from Lee in the future? Is he even needed in the Carter clan now they have so much other stuff going on, does he work best as a recurring character that returns home occasionally, will he turn out to be Lucy's murderer meaning his stint on the show will probably end in February next year, or does he have long-term potential with a permanent home in the square?

Id like him to be killed or maimed in action, so that the show can explore the issue of injured soldiers or grieving Forces families.
    The only problem is that the Beales have cornered the market in grieving families at the mo.

Having gotten used to the rest of the Carter clan he seems like a bit of a spare part.
  • machobobmachobob Posts: 649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well it's more realistic, isn't it? He's in the army, can't be popping back every other weekend.
  • curvybabescurvybabes Posts: 13,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He,s back soon I read
    we find out more about his problems in the army
    I,m sure he,s a regular
  • Scorpio2Scorpio2 Posts: 5,632
    Forum Member
    Maybe he's only a guest character.
  • Marcus_SmithMarcus_Smith Posts: 3,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He doesn't even look like he went back to the army what with the recent pic of him outside the vic with the rest of the carters his head no longer shaved he now has hair and styled with gel.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s2/eastenders/news/a575842/eastenders-see-the-new-carter-family-photos.html?utm_source=twt&utm_medium=snets&utm_campaign=twitter#~oGDKaet7kRXAZY
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm guessing that Danny-Boy hasn't had a plaque before and that's why he's tweeted it....meaning he hasn't had his own dressing room? I assume that will mean he's a regular character now?
  • DanslinkDanslink Posts: 8,365
    Forum Member
    Didn't warm to Lee last time. Don't think he tessellated with the Carter clan well.
  • Broken_ArrowBroken_Arrow Posts: 10,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I wouldn't be at all surprised if you're right about this.

A Carter family of 4 with Stan coming in later (no Lee, no Aunt Babe and no bloody Tina and Shirley) would work just fine. We still haven't seen a whole lot from Linda, Nancy and Johnny.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked him and wanted him more

Isn't the actor doing a film at the moment, so i don't think he will be a regular just yet
  • vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lee and Babe are both regulars - as we saw from the brand new cast pic of the Carter's last week. Like Laurie Brett who plays Jane both Danny Boy & Annette have other Acting commitments to tie up before they join the cast permanently.
  • JoshyxJoshyx Posts: 287
    Forum Member
    Lee will return to the square as an undercover agent for the FBI in an attempt to find out who killed Lucy. It will be revealed that Lee's work leads him to none other than BOBBY BEALE and JANET MITCHELL!!!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Danslink wrote: »
    Didn't warm to Lee last time. Don't think he tessellated with the Carter clan well.

Ah see I disagree with that. I thought in his scenes with his family he fitted really well and had a nice rapport with them. The issue I had was more about the fact that they shoved him straight into the Lucy storyline (with the Whitney angle to it) which weakened things for me. I get that they had to do that in order to make him a suspect but I think that's generally why he wasn't received that well, he was too obviously a plot device.
  • gv6lgv6l Posts: 604
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He doesn't even look like he went back to the army what with the recent pic of him outside the vic with the rest of the carters his head no longer shaved he now has hair and styled with gel.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s2/eastenders/news/a575842/eastenders-see-the-new-carter-family-photos.html?utm_source=twt&utm_medium=snets&utm_campaign=twitter#~oGDKaet7kRXAZY

I'm not sure what it says when Shirley is the most stylish among the ladies in the family :)
  • vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lee is my least favourite Carter.
  • Collins1965Collins1965 Posts: 13,912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked Lee during his short stint and I also thought he fitted extremely well into the family - the sibling relationship with both Jonny and Nancy was totally believable. my only grip is that Linda and Mick don't look old enough to be his parents imo.

I would like to see him as a regular. He will probably leave the army because of his PTSD, which works fine for me. His getting caught up with Lucy and Whitney didn't annoy me, he is a fit young man, why wouldn't he?!!

I'm very much in the minority here I know but I preferred him to Jonny. I find Jonny quite insipid, tbh.
  • GeekInfectedGeekInfected Posts: 6,372
    Forum Member
    I think the purpose of Lee was so that he could be passed the mantle of head Carter after Mick.