The reinvention of Iain Duncan Smith: is he the man to save the Tories?

Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/feb/15/iain-duncan-smith-tories-universal-credit
As I watched Iain Duncan Smith on The Andrew Marr Show, it occurred to me that the very humility and placidity that so unsuited him to the leader’s job are precisely what make him such an asset to his party at this specific moment, in this specific campaign.

For starters, IDS incarnates the simplicity of style, calmness of countenance and visible sincerity of motive that elude many of his colleagues. Privately petulant though he can be, he is never smug. And, with less than three months to go, the Tory party badly needs comprehensive desmugification.

The tax avoidance scandal has been the first punctuation mark of this general election campaign, and one that Conservative strategists would dearly like to put behind them. In particular, they hope the issue will at least be smudged into neutrality by claims of Labour donors aggressively avoiding tax and Ed Miliband himself limiting inheritance tax liability on his parents’ home in 1994.

What will not do much damage is the charge of hypocrisy. Different parties have different vulnerabilities. The voters fear that the default character of the Tories is avarice and indifference to the vulnerable – just as they fret that, in office, Labour’s benign intentions will be eclipsed by fundamental incompetence. If Miliband fails to become prime minister in May, it will not be because he and his family once used a deed of variation.

Em...

Comments

• CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shaking hands with IDS will be like shaking hands with the devil.
  • JillyJilly Posts: 20,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He did have a good interview, came over well and answered Marr's questions well. The same cannot be said for Balls, floundering and incoherent.
  • phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's the tory minster, who....more than any other...has singlehandedly alienated hundreds of thousands, perhaps millions, of potential tory voters. And he's the man to SAVE the Tories???

Er....
  • Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The bloke just tells untruths all the time.
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WHAT REINVENTION???
    he's still the same slapheaded inbicile as ever
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's just the Guardian doing that new form of journalism, "trolling the readership".

We aren't supposed to take it seriously. The article, or the Guardian.

You just know when this article was being created everyone involved was giggling.

As I understand it the ghost of Margaret Thatcher is to be guest editor of the Observer next week.
  • Mr PerksMr Perks Posts: 1,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My abiding memory of IDS will be him laughing, with panomimic hysteria, while a Labour MP recounts a story of a constituent dying, their death aided and abetted by benefit cuts. Quite why Labour are not using such an image, there are at least two to my memory, is beyond me.
    As regards the article, it was written by Matthen D'Ancona, who is usually an inhabintant oif the Tory house newspaper, the Telegraph - pinch of salt time, I think.
  • MesostimMesostim Posts: 52,864
    Forum Member
    Aren't we supposed to disavow all Guardian links? Oh wait... it's positive to the Tories... carry on all.
  • gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    He's the tory minster, who....more than any other...has singlehandedly alienated hundreds of thousands, perhaps millions, of potential tory voters. And he's the man to SAVE the Tories???

Er....

what benefit scroungers are potential tory voters?

turkeys and xmas
    Forum Member
    Mr Perks wrote: »
    My abiding memory of IDS will be him laughing, with panomimic hysteria, while a Labour MP recounts a story of a constituent dying, their death aided and abetted by benefit cuts. Quite why Labour are not using such an image, there are at least two to my memory, is beyond me.
    As regards the article, it was written by Matthen D'Ancona, who is usually an inhabintant oif the Tory house newspaper, the Telegraph - pinch of salt time, I think.

yep and then the tories will counter with

a picture of outgoing chief secretary to the Treasury Liam Byrne wrote a letter stating 'I'm afraid to tell you there's no money left.'
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only way IDS could be "re-invented" is if he was somehow given a soul.
  • tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    what benefit scroungers are potential tory voters?

turkeys and xmas

Well saying more hard working people are now needing to claim benefits, and these hard working people are now being attacked by IDS the tory party are attacking ANYONE claiming benefits is going to backfire on them. As there are millions more hard working people needing to claim benefits than a few benefit scroungers. Or are you saying anyone claiming benefits is a scrounger. First IDS came for the unemployed, then the sick, then the disabled, now is is attacking the low paid workers.
  • bozzimacoobozzimacoo Posts: 1,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Er....

He has tainted anything Tory, some of the things they did do re: tax threshold and apprenticeships were Lib Dem ideas anyway.
    Forum Member
    tim59 wrote: »
    Well saying more hard working people are now needing to claim benefits, and these hard working people are now being attacked by IDS the tory party are attacking ANYONE claiming benefits is going to backfire on them. As there are millions more hard working people needing to claim benefits than a few benefit scroungers. Or are you saying anyone claiming benefits is a scrounger. First IDS came for the unemployed, then the sick, then the disabled, now is is attacking the low paid workers.

nice try but no sale

my point was that people who are low paid unskilled and mostly dependant on state benefits dont vote tory , turkeys and xmas

so no loss
  • Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nice try but no sale

my point was that people who are low paid unskilled and mostly dependant on state benefits dont vote tory , turkeys and xmas

so no loss

I Know some professionals that have to claim working tax credits i.e. benefits.
    Forum Member
    I Know some professionals that have to claim working tax credits i.e. benefits.

so what? theyre not DEPENDANT on them so prob a potential tory voter pissed off with very high taxes to pay for those that are eg 50% tax under labour

you do know haw election campaigns work right?
  • iwearoddsocksiwearoddsocks Posts: 3,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nice try but no sale

so no loss

Your point also seems to be that such people are 'scroungers'.

Nice little insight into the working man's champion, the 'peeples army' there....

The mask slips. It doesn't take much to make it do so. ;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so what? theyre not DEPENDANT on them so prob a potential tory voter pissed off with very high taxes to pay for those that are eg 50% tax under labour

Are they not do you know some of my friends then.;-)
    Forum Member
    nice try but no sale

so no loss

Well saying 25 million people in the uk claim 1 or more benefits. Then thats a lot of voters. Attacking them could just well backfire on the tories, and OAPs are being attacked as well dont forget alot of them claim benefits as well, and have been hit hard though the back door social care budget slashed by 42%
    Forum Member
    Well saying 25 million people in the uk claim 1 or more benefits. Then thats a lot of voters. Attacking them could just well backfire on the tories, and OAPs are being attacked as well dont forget alot of them claim benefits as well, and have been hit hard though the back door social care budget slashed by 42%

but the dont vote, they just moan about just like the under 25s

the wrinklies do vote however

so they get winter fuel payments and pension bribes sorry pensioner bonds

this is the way the parties work at election time

surprised that people are shocked by this
    Forum Member
    but the dont vote, they just moan about just like the under 25s

the wrinklies do vote however

so they get winter fuel payments and pension bribes sorry pensioner bonds

this is the way the parties work at election time

surprised that people are shocked by this

Well i do believe millions more will vote in this GE, people who might not have ever botherd before will vote this year. Sorry pensioners are not so easy to bribe they are not daft. pensioners call for £62 a week rise in state pension
    http://welfarenewsservice.com/pensio...-older-people/. Pensioners are calling for £62 a week rise in the State Pension as part of a “grey manifesto” ahead of the 2015 general election, the Morning Star has reported.

The National Pensioners Convention (NPC) will tomorrow (17 June 2014) call for the state pension to increase from £113 a week to £175, in a bid to help lift older people out of poverty.

1 in 6 pensioners in the UK are currently living below the poverty line, according to Age UK, despite the introduction of the coalition government’s ‘triple lock guarantee’, which guarantees an annual rise in the basic state pension in-line with earnings, prices or 2.5% – whichever is higher.

According to Age UK, pensioners are ‘the biggest group of people on the brink of poverty with 1.2 million on the edge’.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well i do believe millions more will vote in this GE, people who might not have ever botherd before will vote this year. Sorry pensioners are not so easy to bribe they are not daft.

No pensioners are not daft.

A list of bribes by various parties.

Spare rooms paid for IE No spare room implications for pensioners.

Free Bus passes.Pensioner bonds.

Heating allowance.I think pensioners are very easy to bribe.;-)
    Forum Member
    Well i do believe millions more will vote in this GE, people who might not have ever botherd before will vote this year. Sorry pensioners are not so easy to bribe they are not daft.

I disagree i think the turnout will be low 62%? except for the jocks 80%?

goodbye ED
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I disagree i think the turnout will be low 62%? except for the jocks 80%?

goodbye ED

And goodbye Cameron if in his second election he cannot get a working majority.;-)
    Forum Member
    And goodbye Cameron if in his second election he cannot get a working majority.;-)

that deals already done ages ago

Cam will continue in a minority govt for a bit then Boris will be leader

do keep up