Options

Have you ever had a panic attack?

elgransenor1elgransenor1 Posts: 1,043
Forum Member
✭✭✭
a couple of weeks ago I returned from a holiday in holland.

lets just say (so that I don't get into trouble :rolleyes:) that I partaked of all the delights that the country has to offer :p

anyway the long and short of it is that this seemed to bring a lot of anxieties to the surface. :o

a couple of days after coming back.. I had a terrible panic attack. I woke up, then I had this extremely uncomfortable claustrophobic feeling.

I had to go outside. This sense of terror overcame me. I had this feeling of falling into the abyss. of my life being found out. of discovering this terrible secret, the dark horror at the very center of the universe. :eek:

a couple of days later, i had another bad panic attack after yet again waking from a sleep (I have a theory that it was after a bad dream in both cases.)

From this one, my abiding memory was that the only thing keeping me from overwhelming insanity, was the connection between the mind and the body. (I have this thing about needing to be in control)

I've since read up on this and while it seems quite clear that this panic attack is connected to something I may have taken, I wonder if anyone else has had similar experiences? :confused:

Comments

• Options
    PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think so, yes. I was in Tesco just over a year ago. I don't like crowds, but i needed to go for something. I walked in, and there were swarms of people. I tried to 'keep calm and carry on' and i picked up what i needed, but then it happened. I went dizzy, faint but I also wanted to run and scream. I just abandoned my trolly and ran away. I sat in my car and felt really stupid after my breathing had regulated, but i couldn't go back in.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 27
    Forum Member
    Yes, and they are terrifying! My first one I actually thought I was dying...

I actually get around 4 a day now (I have other Mental Health issues too so that could be the cause) and like you I need to be control. Don't let it worry you or stop you doing things, if you keep getting them go see you Dr as there could be a underlying cause, for me it was depression and social anxiety...very annoying!
  • Options
    whatsername235whatsername235 Posts: 360
    Forum Member
    I took one a couple of months ago. I didn't realise that was what it was at the time to be honest. It basically felt like I was going to faint, I couldn't breathe, my head started spinning all of a sudden and as the name suggests I started panicking something awful.

I'd been feeling generally unwell so I thought it was connected to that, now come to accept it's all actually due to anxiety & depression I was refusing to admit to.

If it does continue please do see a doctor and try to get to the bottom of it all before it becomes worse.
  • Options
    elgransenor1elgransenor1 Posts: 1,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure it was linked to the drugs I had taken though.

Apparently panic attacks are quite common with cannabis use, although essentially they just magnify feelings that are there in the first place.

I found this one forum where they discussed it, and god knows how many people experienced the same thing after taking it (or acid)

one guy said that he even took it now just to induce the panic attack! maybe that confrontation with yourself can be quite addictive.

In general i'm ok, I work out quite often down the gym and healthy body healthy mind sort of thing, does wonders for my anxiety.

I have a chronic fear of flying as well and all this anxiety I think might be linked to sexual repression.

oh so bella, four panic attacks a day! that sounds bad :-(
  • Options
    Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I've had a few. I always feel as though someone is strangling me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only had one and I wish never to have one again! I was writing my dissertation, I had one chance only to pass it and I had been given a personal tutor who was know for failing people. She once fail 2/3 of her other year group, half of them she failed again and they had to retake their year (seriously harsh woman!!). So as you can imagine, I was stressed. I took a break to make myself a cuppa and chat to my mother, took the cup through to the sitting room and I suddenly just froze. I couldn't move, my hands became so clammy, my heart felt like it was going to burst out of my chest. I eventually managed to yell out to my mother, I must of looked a state because even as an unsympathetic person, she look shocked and made me sit down and chill for a good while. Anyway, I passed my dissertation (with a C, coming from this person I took it as an A believe me :p) and haven't had a panic attack since, thank God.

Go and see you doctor if they continue and be honest with them about your trip and what you did whilst there, the drugs may have "unlocked" something in your mind and you may need further help.
  • Options
    gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    heres a tip

dont take drugs