Dragon's Den

Comments

• shaggy_xshaggy_x Posts: 3,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We really need duncan and deborah out. Theyre far too miserable and not good entertainment. Im surprised the producers havent gone for a total overhaul to keep this show fresh. Its no longer a must watch for me and will only watch if im channel hopping
  • sonparcsonparc Posts: 33
    Forum Member
    Totally agree with Allafix's post 1476 and would add that the overlong introduction needs binning as well.This is another example of a good long running show ruined by over production. Thankfull that we have fast forward to cut the rubbish parts.
  • Sammy2Sammy2 Posts: 2,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Peter Jones on The One Show. I could be totally wrong here but I sensed he wants Theo back and he wouldn't mind if it was at Piers expense. Didn't really seem to have much to say about him where as he was full of praise for Kelly.

The Piers bit doesn't surprise me, I sense the dragons do not rate Piers. He has made a couple of slips ups in the den and I guess the dragons are not people who give you many chances
  • RandomArbiterRandomArbiter Posts: 419
    Forum Member
    Kelly must be annoyed after accepting that kid's mobile phone repair bag - what they all thought as innovative has actually been around for over 10 years!!
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    allafix wrote: »
    The problems with this series for me have been:
    • The new dragons not being good enough (one OK, one poor).
    • The really stupid and clearly fake lift.
    • So many of the pitches seem to be about getting publicity rather than investment and there have been too many performances. I don't watch Dragons Den to see song and dance numbers.
    • The crying and sad back stories coming out after the pitches, supposedly without any prompting, but usually preceded by a rather unnatural question which reveals it.

I absolutely agree with the above.

I simply cannot understand the decision to split this series in half in blocks of 2 - 6eps at the end of 2013 and the remaining 6 from Jan 2014 onwards. Can anyone remember when Ep6 actually aired? It's been off the air for too long and really should have been shown in one whole run without breaks. It really has lost its momemtum.

Then you add in the awful over-production which has never been used before but suddenly we have it now with the stupid lift! Why do we need to see people get in, wait in the lift, come out the lift before a pitch and then do the same again when the pitch is finished? It's utterly ridiculous and time-wasting!

I've also noticed the sob stories starting to creep in. Not in every episode but there's been a few in the first 6 eps which aired at the tail end of last year. We never had them before, why is it necessary for it to be included now?

Then you have the 2 new Dragons who really bring nothing to the show at all. Piers is dull and useless. Kelly is the ice queen all style and no substance. Both terrible! Get them sacked and bring in someone else. Peter, Deborah and Duncan are still good quality thankfully.

The show is reaching its sell-by-date very quickly. I wouldn't be surprised if it gets axed after this series or after the next if it gets commissioned again.

Having said that i did think last week's episode was better than any of the first 6eps shown of the new series.
  • EuanDesuEuanDesu Posts: 2,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought Kelly was Tracy Ann Oberman!
  • Andy_GAndy_G Posts: 11,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sure they'll sell quite a few snugglebundls of the back of that publicity, but £39.99 is way too much money really.
  • EuanDesuEuanDesu Posts: 2,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Condoms?! Ooer.
  • Psycho_NedPsycho_Ned Posts: 17,741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Made to measure condoms, the gags write themselves with this one :D
  • lea_uklea_uk Posts: 9,648
    Forum Member
    Condom revolutionary are not words I ever thought I'd hear together.
  • guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    3 inch condoms...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is one of those ideas which sounded good to him on paper when he was coming up (fnar, fnar) with it but you think it through and it's rubbish!

He's essentially saying his condoms are going to cost a lot more than durex's ones selling premium condoms isn't a huge untapped market!
  • BelfastGuy125BelfastGuy125 Posts: 7,515
    Forum Member
    Yeh, even millionaires arnt going to bother getting thew "Louis Vuitton" of condoms for a quick bang in the bar toilets.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Time for the 9:45 investment pitch....
  • ClackersClackers Posts: 628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to rank Dragons' Den on par with the Apprentice for my favourite business-style show on TV. However, the current series Is just boring. The new dragons are rubbish.

I noticed the show go downhill in the previous series, so I really respect Theo for getting out when he did. He doesn't want to stay in a sinking ship.

I am sure Peter Jones thinks the same as Theo, however as Jones is listed as producer of the show (his production company makes the show in the UK) it probably isn't as easy for him to walk away until he really needs to.

I don't know what Duncan and Deborah's excuses are. For Deborah, she probably gets a lot of PR and media coverage which keeps her name in the public domain. But in reality she is clearly the 'poorest' established dragon, and isn't even a millionaire.

Piers is a wet fish, bland, boring, and brings nothing to the table. I quite like Kelly, she has a personality, but often seems scared of making investments.

In reality, the show is now produced for entertainment rather than enterprise. I doubt Peter, Duncan et al have any desire to invest unless something really takes their fancy (such as those wireless wands a few series back where all the dragons kept outbidding each other), in which case there is no point to the show any more.

Dragons' Den has had its day now, and it hurts me to say it as I used to be such a big fan of the show. :(
  • darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't even realise that this series was back, having looked on my Sky TV guide it states that the episode on 9th Feb is episode 9/12, so either I have missed 8 episodes of this series or it is a continuation from the series that finished last September. Or that Sky have made a cock up. Either way I have managed to obtain the episodes that I have missed, so will watch all of them before this Sunday. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't even realise that this series was back, having looked on my Sky TV guide it states that the episode on 9th Feb is episode 9/12, so either I have missed 8 episodes of this series or it is a continuation from the series that finished last September. Or that Sky have made a cock up. Either way I have managed to obtain the episodes that I have missed, so will watch all of them before this Sunday. :D

They split this series, so yes it the second lot of shows that started last year.
  • wmoorewmoore Posts: 562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder if they included the lift due to complaints from disabled groups ?
    I guess with the lift scenes we can see them and their reactions/thoughts before facing the dragons. Just hope they don't do a X-factor/the voice 'let's film them at home with the family and then have them walk over a bridge somewhere smiling and laughing.
  • SXTonySXTony Posts: 2,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The vital part of condom man's patent was for measuring the size in 3 dimensions, is that correct? Surely you only need 2 dimensions for a proper fit, length and circumference (or diameter).

I'm not really a fan of the new dragons, but I think that Piers showed his worth by stepping in and trying to undercut Peter's offer to cabbie man. Peter looked quite annoyed. For too long I felt that the dragons all work together and either all ask for the same percentage and refuse to negotiate or they split that same percentage with another dragon. I still think Piers isn't great as he makes some pointless comments, but having someone to ruffle a few feathers is a good move.

What I do find annoying is the half time recap. Why do they feel the need to tell us what just happened a few minutes ago? And then the 'still to come' bit wich just spoils things we've yet to see.
  • lankyguy007lankyguy007 Posts: 214
    Forum Member
    Clackers wrote: »
    I don't know what Duncan and Deborah's excuses are. For Deborah, she probably gets a lot of PR and media coverage which keeps her name in the public domain. But in reality she is clearly the 'poorest' established dragon, and isn't even a millionaire.
    (
    Where did you get that from?
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As soon as he came on, I knew they wouldn't invest in the condoms - the Dragons are very prissy and I can't recall them ever investing in anything related to bodily functions.
    Kelly had to be the most desperate to avoid investing though, with her nonsense about "What size emergency condom would I take out of a night?".
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Psycho_Ned wrote: »
    Time for the 9:45 investment pitch....

Yep - it's predictable now.

Mind you, I'm surprised Bannatyne didn't complain the condom measurement tool wouldn't be big enough for him! Mind you, with ego as big as his, he's probably got a tiny willy!
  • chestfieldchestfield Posts: 3,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Condom man didn't even mention labelling.

"Small" is the new Gi-normous, for example
  • bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SXTony wrote: »
    I'm not really a fan of the new dragons, but I think that Piers showed his worth by stepping in and trying to undercut Peter's offer to cabbie man. Peter looked quite annoyed.

I felt sorry for Piers; he undercut his rivals by a quarter (only 30% instead of 40% equity), and the guy still did as much as he could to get any other dragon on-board except him!
  • nathanbrazilnathanbrazil Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member
    Clackers wrote: »
    IThe new dragons are rubbish.(

Yes, it is all so boring and lacklustre, compared to Shark Tank. Also, on the show last night, I could not understand why Mr Jones was remarking on getting himself a 3 inch condom, when it is abundantly clear he is the biggest cock in the show.