Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 57)

Comments

• Options
    SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    My gut instincts say that First Dates on C4 will get a similar kind of second season buzz as what Gogglebox had. I predict series 2 to rate better than series 1 and ratings to rise throughout. There is this underlying buzz which I feel and can sense about it.
  • Options
    welshfoxywelshfoxy Posts: 6,985
    Forum Member
    Suspects is so weird. It's desperately trying to be innovative but I doubt it will be.

Bring back The Bill I say. Doesn't have to be with any of the same characters, or in the same place. It was just a great police format and when done well (or even not so well) was an easy win for ITV week after week.
  • Options
    SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    welshfoxy wrote: »
    Suspects is so weird. It's desperately trying to be innovative but I doubt it will be.
    Suspects is too different and unusual. Unfortunately the hardcore OAP crime audience arent going to like it. Expect a heavy drop throughout its run. It's just too weird to gain a decent audience on C5.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    SamuelW wrote: »
    Suspects is too different and unusual. Unfortunately the hardcore OAP crime audience arent going to like it. Expect a heavy drop throughout its run. It's just too weird to gain a decent audience on C5.

Different and unusual could equal a megahit. Definitely not on this occasion though :D
  • Options
    AlexiRAlexiR Posts: 22,616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fudd wrote: »
    But the baseball break still messed the show up badly - it seemed to be stable over each series until the break and then saw a decline; without that I think it would have kept at a reasonable level for series one and returned slightly better for series two and same between series two and series three.
    The impact or not of the World Series on the Fox schedule is an annual debate.

In truth the impact on The X Factor is pretty much non-existent. When you look at the numbers the break doesn't appear to have done The X Factor any damage.

Audition #1 – 4.4
    Audition #2 – 4.3
    Audition #3 – 4.1
    Audition #4 – 3.9
    Boot Camp #1 – 4.1
    Boot Camp #2 – 4.0

The auditions and boot camp were below what was expected (a good point+ behind where The Voice debuted earlier in the year) but they did well enough and were largely stable. We then move onto the judges houses...

Judges Houses #1 – 3.7
    Judges House #2 – 3.4
    Live Knockout – 3.9

Here the wheels came off a little with some truly bizarre scheduling cock-ups killing the momentum a little for the Judges House but the show rebounded back for the live knockout show they did and its here it went on a break for the World Series before returning for the live shows proper.

Live Show #1 – 4.4
    Live Show #2 – 4.0
    Live Results #1 – 3.7
    Live Show #3 – 3.8
    Live Results #2 – 3.3

As you can see the show returned from the break back where it started the auditions and then it just slowly started to bleed over the run before it dropped below a 3. Series two and three meanwhile never really had momentum to lose. The audience had already decided by that point that they were interested and Fox weren't helped by some rather aggressive scheduling from NBC with The Voice.
  • Options
    Ice dragon1Ice dragon1 Posts: 19,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No idea what the number 9 thing was about I found it funny and slightly disturbing at the same time.
  • Options
    Zac QuinnZac Quinn Posts: 5,172
    Forum Member
    01 – 17.9m (96.8%) – WORLD CUP 2002: ENGLAND vs BRAZIL
    laddergoat wrote: »
    I know this match would have been early in the morning but 96.8%. :O. Holy crap!

It was on at breakfast time, I remember going into primary school especially early to watch a special screening of it in the assembly room. You'd think someone up and around at that time would have wanted to watch something else, because yes a sensational share. Albeit just before Freeview really came into play. I don't think even the Olympic Opening Ceremony managed a peak share of that size after midnight, did it? I might be wrong in that.
  • Options
    C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For XF US, the baseball was more an issue in seasons 2 & 3.

Season 1 performed well across the run really. It ended with slightly more viewers than it began with and there wasn't a massive break nor was there any major drop off immediately around the baseball. The baseball was problematic but not to the same extent as it was the next year (which resulted in the decision to advance plan a long break midway through season 3).

Season 2 Wednesdays went from having 5 consecutive episodes rate between a 3.4 and a 3.6 to a 2.7 for the first live show (losing about a quarter of the audience). Although once again, the show ended with more viewers than it launched with.

Season 3 went from 5 consecutive episodes between a 2.2 and a 2.5 to a first live show rating down at a 1.5 (losing about a third of the audience). And to be fair, it ended just 200k lower than it began. But I think it was done for when that 1.5 live show rating came in.

Another major problem was in between seasons more than within them. For all the bumps along the way, it usually ended quite well. But then returned terribly, so it always seemed to be fighting an uphill battle.
  • Options
    allthingsukallthingsuk Posts: 6,035
    Forum Member

Bring back The Bill I say. Doesn't have to be with any of the same characters, or in the same place. It was just a great police format and when done well (or even not so well) was an easy win for ITV week after week.

Plenty of life in the police procedural format, but The Bill doesn't fit in with ITV anymore, if I'm being honest. And Law and Order: UK sort of fills that void, albeit not as effectively as a proper procedural would.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 181
    Forum Member
    Zac Quinn wrote: »
    It was on at breakfast time, I remember going into primary school especially early to watch a special screening of it in the assembly room. You'd think someone up and around at that time would have wanted to watch something else, because yes a sensational share. Albeit just before Freeview really came into play. I don't think even the Olympic Opening Ceremony managed a peak share of that size after midnight, did it? I might be wrong in that.

Don't know about the Opening Ceremony shares after midnight but I remember going into primary school to watch it in the assembly hall as well. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Don't know about the Opening Ceremony shares after midnight but I remember going into primary school to watch it in the assembly hall as well. :D

That and the Nigeria match, they served us free bacon baps :p:D Was fortunate really, because my house didn't have a TV until 12 months later. Great memories. Just a shame about David Seaman's goalkeeping really ;-)
  • Options
    lewiep93lewiep93 Posts: 5,880
    Forum Member

I went into school early that day too! It was on at 7am or thereabouts. That share is just incredible, I wonder if we could see a share that high for the England v Italy match?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    C14E wrote: »
    For XF US, the baseball was more an issue in seasons 2 & 3...
    It was an issue of sorts for season two although in truth the issue there was less the break and more the cocked up scheduling before the break which completely killed the shows momentum. Season three never really got out of the gate though. I think something that's perhaps forgotten here is that the auditions both years probably got a slight spike that was never going to carry through to the live shows. People tuned into see if they liked the new panel/format points and decided they didn't and didn't stick with it. Its far from unusual. Equally as we've seen with The Voice and Idol its far from unusual for these shows to lose viewers as they move into the live shows anyway. The break was only really a problem because the show just wasn't very good. If it had been good and viewers had been interested they'd have come back (as we saw in year one).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 181
    Forum Member
    That and the Nigeria match, they served us free bacon baps :p:D Was fortunate really, because my house didn't have a TV until 12 months later. Great memories. Just a shame about David Seaman's goalkeeping really ;-)

Don't remember the Nigeria match but do remember the Argentina match, it was either a weekend or May half term because I was off school. And I also remember the Ireland match where Robbie Keane did his backflip (against Germany?) And a Mexico match (of all things :-s)
  • Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watched some of Suspects, unfortunately I didn't feel that connected and intersted by it to watch more episodes. I can't see it opening well, perhaps just over 1million, and I suspect each episode will drop.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    lewiep93 wrote: »
    I went into school early that day too! It was on at 7am or thereabouts. That share is just incredible, I wonder if we could see a share that high for the England v Italy match?
    7:30am BST kick-offs for both that and the Nigeria match, just late enough to interfere with school slightly!! :p:D

I think the Italy match being brought forward has probably killed the chance of a share over 90% for it - it might well clash with Big Brother now and we know how stubborn BB's fans are, they even watched the episode that was on during the Opening Ceremony :o:confused::D
    Don't remember the Nigeria match but do remember the Argentina match, it was either a weekend or May half term because I was off school. And I also remember the Ireland match where Robbie Keane did his backflip (against Germany?) And a Mexico match (of all things :-s)
    The Argentina match was the first game of football I ever watched!! Friday afternoon in the May half term. Never looked back. Missed the opening Sweden match for some reason.

Of course that was the first tournament of the Sven years, the period when the 'Golden Generation' hype was at its absolute peak. You have to wonder how long it will be before the interest in England will hit those levels again. In fairness England's Euro 2012 quarter-final was right up there in terms of raw figures, but that was in the absolute prime slot of the week, a Sunday evening, so it's not quite the same.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Over in the US CBS confirming that The Big Bang Theory (and Elementary) will be moving from Thursday night at least for the first eight weeks of the season next season to make way for Thursday Night Football. Presumably this confirms that Big Bang is heading back to Monday nights for a few weeks at least.
  • Options
    xeoxeo Posts: 6,429
    Forum Member
    AlexiR wrote: »
    Over in the US CBS confirming that The Big Bang Theory (and Elementary) will be moving from Thursday night at least for the first eight weeks of the season next season to make way for Thursday Night Football. Presumably this confirms that Big Bang is heading back to Monday nights for a few weeks at least.

NBC will be disappointed if it goes to Monday - The Voice may be knocked a bit.

TVBTN did make me laugh when they said CBS have found a way for TBBT to be everyone's lead-in :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    xeo wrote: »
    NBC will be disappointed if it goes to Monday - The Voice may be knocked a bit.

TVBTN did make me laugh when they said CBS have found a way for TBBT to be everyone's lead-in :D
    Monday seems like the only option at this point if only because they don't seem to have space anywhere else. It'll be interesting to see if they decide to move it back to Thursday night after Thursday Night Football is done or whether the presumably improved ratings on Monday will tempt them to keep it where it is. It'll also be interesting to see if they take this opportunity to see how Big Bang would do at 9PM. Its the higher PUT hour so it should see a slight rise in numbers there (in theory). But yeah NBC probably won't be happy to see it there. I can't imagine anyone will to be honest.

The basic confirmation of an Elementary renewal deserves some mention as well I suppose although given its syndication deal that was never really in doubt. I wonder if it ends up taking The Mentalist's Sunday night slot next season. The value of the syndication deal means they can just write off any loses it might cause there I'd imagine. That would mean the end of the road for The Mentalist though. Amazing to think that was once CBS' next big thing. Boy did they screw that up. In fact they could probably keep Good Wife next season as well and just let syndication deals cover the hit they're taking ratings wise since Good Wife has a multi-platform syndication deal now as well. Maybe try and play it as a 'critically acclaimed block' since people seem to have warmed up to Elementary quite a lot.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In regards to TBBT, I think CBS might take on the ABC Wednesday Comedy block as that seems to be getting weaker? I think its a better option then moving things around after the football.
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No idea what the number 9 thing was about I found it funny and slightly disturbing at the same time.

Typical of them. Psychoville before it gave you that feeling and as for The League Of Gentlemen! :o

Did you watch Inside No9 because you hung around after Line Of Duty?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Plenty of life in the police procedural format, but The Bill doesn't fit in with ITV anymore, if I'm being honest. And Law and Order: UK sort of fills that void, albeit not as effectively as a proper procedural would.

The Bill and Law and Order are nothing alike. There are all sorts of police prodedural formats, and more formats within that.

I wonder if this thread is full of commissioners assistants sometimes..justifying their bland schedules...

And before anyone jumps on me and says "Oh The Bill was so bland", "Stop wining about The Bill being axed", I never said I wanted that show back..just something similar. Perhaps. It'd be nice to meet people who can distinguish between what's bang in front of their eyes and an imagination, but I suppose I am in the wrong place for that (no seriously).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    cylon6 wrote: »
    I hope Suspects does well because it would be good seeing Channel 5 doing more scripted programming.

Very crowded night of TV at 9pm with Midsomer Murders, Outnumbered and Line Of Duty 2. I'll be watching Line Of Duty and hope it won't get squeezed!

Except that was the key essence of this programme - a threadbare script and improvisation.
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Except that was the key essence of this programme - a threadbare script and improvisation.

Should I bother watching? The people that watched seemed underwhelmed by it.
  • Options
    Andy ParishAndy Parish Posts: 527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was on at breakfast time, I remember going into primary school especially early to watch a special screening of it in the assembly room..
    I was in the pub, £1 a pint and sausage sandwiches at half-time. Jeez I feel old!

;-) :p
This discussion has been closed.