Rik Mayall dead

Comments

• The WulfrunianThe Wulfrunian Posts: 1,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Desperately sad news. A unique talent that inspired a generation.
  • JMTDJMTD Posts: 7,967
    Forum Member
    Actor and long-time friend Adrian Edmondson said of Rik Mayall: "There were times when Rik and I were writing together when we almost died laughing. They were some of the most carefree stupid days I ever had, and I feel privileged to have shared them with him.

"And now he's died for real. Without me. Selfish b*****d."

Easily my favorite comedy duo. Genius together.
    That's a point. I wonder if that has a second series. If it has I also wonder how they'll tackle it.

They're doing a second series and from what was said, Mayall was going to feature much more in it. Pretty sure they hadn't started shooting it yet though. I'd also expect that despite Ade pulling out, there was still every chance they'd of eventually done another Bottom project down the line.
  • miss buzzybeemiss buzzybee Posts: 16,428
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So sad, a comedy great. RIP. 56 is no age. Quite shocked.
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This actually took the wind out of my sails. Earliest memory of Rik is as Kevin Turvey, then The Young Ones and The Comic strip etc etc....He was brilliant, or should that be brrrrilliant and am genuinely gutted.

RIP and my thoughts are with anyone who knew and cared for him. Outstanding talent.
  • toofasttoofast Posts: 2,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    haphash wrote: »
    Gutted, how sad. He was so zany and charismatic.

What was wrong with him?

They have not released that information yet, but it's reported that he died suddenly.
  • LordBobbinLordBobbin Posts: 359
    Forum Member
    toofast wrote: »
    They have not released that information yet, but it's reported that he died suddenly.

That's a pretty early age to go at, so it's highly likely that it was a delayed (very delayed) after-effect of the Quad Bike accident. While most of his brain seemed to be okay, there was clearly part that was severely damaged - his long-term memory was pretty patchy, for instance, and he suffered from regular epileptic fits afterwards. Having partial damage would make him more prone to some sort of brain explosion...
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LordBobbin wrote: »
    That's a pretty early age to go at, so it's highly likely that it was a delayed (very delayed) after-effect of the Quad Bike accident. While most of his brain seemed to be okay, there was clearly part that was severely damaged - his long-term memory was pretty patchy, for instance, and he suffered from regular epileptic fits afterwards. Having partial damage would make him more prone to some sort of brain explosion...

Good advert for strong helmets.
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A genuine shock for me.
    I always saw him as young in spirit, so he just didn't seem like someone who'd die at the age he did. I saw him as someone who would live to a ripe old age.
    He just seemed like one of those timeless celebrities who will always be around.

A great talent who I'll miss.
  • MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    I was so shocked to see that Rik Mayall had died!

It also suprised me how many people I knew had no idea who he was.A friend of mine pointed out that could be that younger people have never seen his comedy programmes!
  • RickyLeeds85RickyLeeds85 Posts: 11,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So sad to hear this news, Rik was a comic genius and was fantastic in whatever role he played. i loved him in Blackadder and also the young ones and Drop Dead Fred which is a classic film.

watching The Young Ones on Gold atm, still very funny but weird now knowing Rik is gone :(
  • JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    That's a point. I wonder if that has a second series. If it has I also wonder how they'll tackle it.
    Yes, Man Down was supposed to have a second series. It's status is now unknown,
  • Mrs SprattMrs Spratt Posts: 4,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Such a funny man.

I actually thought Kevin Turvey was real when I first saw him :blush:
  • mikebukmikebuk Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just watched The Young Ones and Bottom on GOLD. They played sadder music and continuity man mentioned Rik's passing.
  • LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mrs Spratt wrote: »
    I actually thought Kevin Turvey was real when I first saw him :blush:

I had to watch a few times before I was sure he wasn't. :D

Sad sad loss:(
  • DesmondpDesmondp Posts: 222
    Forum Member
    Gutted can't believe it

he was too young
  • JudgeFudgeJudgeFudge Posts: 166
    Forum Member
    Comedy Immortal

RIP
  • TechnixTechnix Posts: 2,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Drop Dead Fred anyone? That's how a younger me first noticed him in the 90s then through watching Bottom when the parents weren't around.

RIP
  • ukpukp Posts: 480
    Forum Member
    Todays recording of Q.I has been cancelled last minute. Not sure of the exact reason but I wonder if it's to do with poor Riks death.
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »

I would hope it is in the can. Would serve as a fitting final tribute to Rik. Series one DVD due out in October and it would`ve coincided with the airing of S2 so there`s a chance most of the filming would be completed.

Surprised at how perfunctorily this was dealt with on the BBC 6 O Clock news. Second item up and not covered in any real depth whereas Sky led with it and gave it a decent few minutes worth.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    I would hope it is in the can. Would serve as a fitting final tribute to Rik.

Surprised at how perfunctorily this was dealt with on the BBC 6 O Clock news. Second item up and not covered in any real depth whereas Sky led with it and gave it a decent few minutes worth.

Perhaps there were some more important news stories that needed the time, I certainly seem to have seen and heard lots about him since his death was announced. Some of the tributes are going a bit over the top. Greatest British comedy actor ever, greater than Ronnie Barker and a number of others? I suppose it is just that many of the people producing programmes are from the generation that were of a certain age when The Young Ones were on TV.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    Very sad :(
    I loved the way he did Grim Tales on Channel 4 and of course Lord Flashheart.

RIP :(
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    Perhaps there were some more important news stories that needed the time.....

It was the Schools Trojan Horse story yet again. I think for one day we could live with it being further down the news agenda as a man`s death is given due acknowledgment on the network he first found fame on. Surprisingly C4 news was worse - Not even mentioned in the rundown at the top of the show and I didn`t see all of it so I`ve no idea if they featured it later.
  • lulu glulu g Posts: 52,644
    Forum Member
    I too was truly shocked and saddened to hear of Rik Mayall's untimely death. He used to come into a place where I used to work, and he was always very nice and surprisingly quiet. Also far more attractive in real life.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    Farewell Lord Flashheart. Woof woof.

Sad news. :(

When I heard of his passing I imagined him going "up there" and entering - Flashheart style.
  • catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought the piece on the BBC1 Ten O'Clock News last night was poorly edited, and I was surprised at how low down on the running order it was, remembering when they made Mel Smith's death the main story.