Semi Final: Brazil v Germany 08/04 9pm KO

Comments

• Thomas007Thomas007 Posts: 14,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I, Candy wrote: »
    Well all I can say is thank **** we went out at the group stage and avoided all possibility of being humiliated like Brazil have been. Well done Roy!

Controversial statement but I would regard England as a better side than Brazil. England should have beaten them in a friendly they had over there last year. They looked so ordinary then.
  • SattregaSattrega Posts: 85,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The morning after the night before and I still can't quite wrap my head around what I saw. I keep doing double takes on the scoreline and reminding myself that this wasn't some exhibition match in some Arab state, it was a World Cup semi-final in Brazil's own back yard. Staggering.
  • ihatemarmiteihatemarmite Posts: 5,605
    Forum Member
    beautiful, wonderful football from Germany. Overran Brazil in midfield and Brazil's defence was a shocker.
    Ozil - he didn't finish (weakest part of his game) but he was wonderful tonight, as were the whole midfield. Khedira had his best game in a German shirt imo. Kroos - why on earth does Pep want rid of him? And they've hit on their best team with Klose/Schurrle helping out Mueller up front and Lahm (who I'd love to see raise the World Cup) at RB.
    I hope they win it and have never supported Germany before in my life. Any side who can play the football they played last night, with even Brazilian fans applauding them, deserves to win it.
  • Thomas007Thomas007 Posts: 14,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sattrega wrote: »
    The morning after the night before and I still can't quite wrap my head around what I saw. I keep doing double takes on the scoreline and reminding myself that this wasn't some exhibition match in some Arab state, it was a World Cup semi-final in Brazil's own back yard. Staggering.

But we should remind ourselves not to look at the shirt but players themselves in this analysis. Its really a dreadful reflection of the decline of Brazilian football over the past decade. The transition from the glorious attacking 1982 to the gradually more robust functional outfit of the past 20 years, that's becoming worse. Phil Vickery is spot on in everything he has said in regards to this.

Yes its Brazil in their own backyard, and the name and history makes the whole result iconic, but put those 11 players in different shirts under a different team name, that result isn't that shocking in all honesty.
  • GoodwinGoodwin Posts: 6,576
    Forum Member
    beautiful, wonderful football from Germany. Overran Brazil in midfield and Brazil's defence was a shocker.
    Ozil - he didn't finish (weakest part of his game) but he was wonderful tonight, as were the whole midfield. Khedira had his best game in a German shirt imo. Kroos - why on earth does Pep want rid of him? And they've hit on their best team with Klose/Schurrle helping out Mueller up front and Lahm (who I'd love to see raise the World Cup) at RB.
    I hope they win it and have never supported Germany before in my life. Any side who can play the football they played last night, with even Brazilian fans applauding them, deserves to win it.

They have to win it now. This victory won't count for much if they don't. Of course it will never be forgotten but it's only the semi-final. Whoever they play next, they are not going to be as abject as Brazil were last night.
  • ihatemarmiteihatemarmite Posts: 5,605
    Forum Member
    sure. Plus there'll be some rugged (ahem) challenges on Germany's midfield, their engine.
    What impressed me though is how differently Germany played against France (shut down Pogba and Valbuena) than here - here they quickly realised how open Brazil were, and just steamrollered them. One of those magic nights.
    We've all seen sides do that, then lose next time out to a pragmatic, physical side......anyhow looking forward to tonight, which will be a lot tighter I'm sure. And a lot less pretty.
    Ref last night didn't fall for any Brazil dives, so let's hope tonight's ref does likewise.
  • feckitfeckit Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For notoriety, will the Brazil players semi final team shirts (if they haven't been binned) become worthless or priceless in the future.?
  • GoodwinGoodwin Posts: 6,576
    Forum Member
    Indeed. I do hope the Dutch win but have a sneaky feeling that Argentina may nick it. I hope it doesn't become a niggly stop start match with them both trying to kick lumps out of each other. Robben is key to the Dutch prevailing. Bring it on!
  • SattregaSattrega Posts: 85,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thomas007 wrote: »
    But we should remind ourselves not to look at the shirt but players themselves in this analysis. Its really a dreadful reflection of the decline of Brazilian football over the past decade. The transition from the glorious attacking 1982 to the gradually more robust functional outfit of the past 20 years, that's becoming worse. Phil Vickery is spot on in everything he has said in regards to this.

Yes its Brazil in their own backyard, and the name and history makes the whole result iconic, but put those 11 players in different shirts under a different team name, that result isn't that shocking in all honesty.

A point well made. The decline is remarkable. Brazil have always been one of those nations that always seemed to produce the players, not just back in the 70's and 80's and before that but since then with the likes of Ronaldo, Romario, Bebeto, Rivaldo, Dunga, Ronaldinho etc...

You look at this current squad and apart from one or two it is so unbelievably average or downright poor. My brother said to me last night it was just as well they were the hosts as this lot probably would have struggled to qualify even with half of that continent being able to do so.

There is a Copa America next year and a special centenary Copa America in 2016. It will be interesting to see what Brazil do after this debacle and where they will be come these two tournaments.
  • Mark FMark F Posts: 54,008
    Forum Member
    I suspect Brazil wish they didn't have to play a 3rd/4th games - another performance like that could lead to the Netherlands or Argentina giving them a hammering.

Germany had it so easy - they almost walked the ball in the net at times.

Brazil were missing 2 key players but it looked liked the rest of them had disappeared as well.
  • basdfgbasdfg Posts: 6,764
    Forum Member
    Thankfully trouble seems to be kept to a minimum last night with only a burnt out bus in São Paulo being notable. Hopefully it will keep like that and the world cup can finsh peacefully but who knows?
  • batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flat Matt wrote: »

There are two games left in this tournament and I wouldn't like to predict either of them to be honest.

I could have sworn that there were three games left, the other semi, the 3/4th place match, and the final!
  • nathanbrazilnathanbrazil Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member
    NiteOwl12 wrote: »
    From what I have seen of him this season and in this world cup, Ozil goes missing too frequently, is pushed into the periphery too easily and lacks physical presence on the ball.

Yes. The massive victory had as much to do with the poor quality of play from Brazil, as it did to German skills. It will be much, much harder against Argentina, and harder than that if it's Holland. Either way, we're in for a really good World Cup final!

BTW, zero sympathy for Brazil. They played like England, despite having home advantage, and gave up after the second goal. At that level, everyone watching is entitled to expect better. Had they tried hard and lost to a better team, no problem, but they just couldn't be bothered.
    Forum Member
    I could have sworn that there were three games left, the other semi, the 3/4th place match, and the final!

There are, but no one cares who comes third. Whoever it is will probably hammer Brazil.
    Forum Member
    Goodwin wrote: »
    Indeed. I do hope the Dutch win but have a sneaky feeling that Argentina may nick it. I hope it doesn't become a niggly stop start match with them both trying to kick lumps out of each other. Robben is key to the Dutch prevailing. Bring it on!

Yes, I'd like to see a Holland V Germany final, too. Aside from Messi, there Argentine side is comprised of players who can and will start to tackle dirty and cheat the minute things don't go their way.
  • HetalHetal Posts: 5,415
    Forum Member
    I'm still annoyed with Ozil's miss. It could have ended 8-0 dammit.
  • JSemple3JSemple3 Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    Did Germany really beat Brazil 7-1 last night? I really still can't get my head over it. On reflection I always expected Brazil to lose (Possibly 1 of the worst teams ever to get to the semi's in the first place) But not the utter humiliation that did happen
  • Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flat Matt wrote: »
    I agree that it was one of those freakish games that happen from time to time; a bit like our 5-1 win in Germany that ultimately meant nothing.

Germany were superb and Brazil were awful. The end result was a good hiding, the like of which has never been seen before.

I'm not sure about the comparison with Spain. They looked a shadow of the team that won the last three tournaments. They were a great team, but all things come to an end and the end of that Spanish team came in the group stage of this World Cup. In many ways that was almost as historic as Germany's win tonight.

There are two games left in this tournament and I wouldn't like to predict either of them to be honest. Argentina v Holland really could go either way and so could the final, regardless of who faces Germany. We didn't necessarily witness the dawn of a new era tonight. Germany have always been a top quality team and regularly perform well in the World Cup. The manner of their victory was shocking, but the fact that they beat Brazil wasn't. They are a better team than this Brazil side by quite some distance.

I'm hoping for a Germany v Holland final. I would be happy for either of those teams to win the World Cup. Holland deserve their first win. They have been good to watch, but after tonight, it would be very fitting for the team who made history against Brazil to be crowned champions. Argentina, on the other hand, have contributed very little to this tournament and really don't deserve it.

Couldn't agree more. Germany FTW:)
  • OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JSemple3 wrote: »
    Did Germany really beat Brazil 7-1 last night? I really still can't get my head over it. On reflection I always expected Brazil to lose (Possibly 1 of the worst teams ever to get to the semi's in the first place) But not the utter humiliation that did happen

I was out at the time and keeping an eye on a live reporting webpage it was 2-0 and when I refreshed only a couple of minutes later it said 4-0 which was a bit confusing I thought it was a mistake :o
  • stej86stej86 Posts: 921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As to be expected the viewing audience last night was massive. Over 13 million watched the match live on BBC One in the UK alone.

Worldwide audience figures are believed to have been around 800 million people watched the match live. Worldwide embarrassment for Brazil
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great match, thoroughly enjoyed it. Well done BBC.

Avoided all the pre, half-time, post match, "expensive punditry."

I even used to think Kenneth Wolstenholme's "Notice how the goalkeeper comes out to narrow the angle," was superfluous.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's about time he said something, as he was so instrumental in getting the World Cup staged in Brazil.
  • carnivalistcarnivalist Posts: 4,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Staunchy wrote: »
    Just watched the minutes after the game again, as an atheist I do wonder why the Brazilian players are still praying to their god, doesn't the result prove (in the very least) that he's not on their side, but even more likely, that he doesn't exist, why should an omnipresent being give a toss what's happening in a football match when he can't be arsed to cure kids with AIDS...

No. Logically that isn't proof of anything - anymore than a miraculous event that follows a prayer asking for a desired outcome, or the mind-bending, near supernatural realities of quantum mechanics (such as the Everett/Many Worlds Theory) proves the existence of a deity. It isn't possible to logically prove or disprove a theory about a system that controls its own parameters.
  • bri160356bri160356 Posts: 5,147
    Forum Member
    Dear Mr Abramovich,

Can we have our money back please. :cry:

Regards,

Laurent Robert Blanc,
    Manager, Paris Saint-Germain F.C.
  • henrywilliams58henrywilliams58 Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even more amazing* is that all 7 goals were from open play. No corner, free-kick or penalty goals. And against 11 men rather than 10 or 9.

*Sorry if this has already bee pointed out :-(