Options

Lack of cultural diversity in soaps

lady_xanaxlady_xanax Posts: 5,662
Forum Member
I don't mean simply race but just things like families with different customs/values. Occasionally there might be an American but nobody of a different nationality makes a long-term move: not in Emmerdale or Hollyoaks anyway.

There also seems to be a lack of community in Hollyoaks. There's obviously communal places like The Dog and College Coffee but apart from a murder or massive explosion, nobody seems particularly bothered about the town.

Comments

• Options
    ScrabblerScrabbler Posts: 51,488
    Forum Member
    lady_xanax wrote: »
    I don't mean simply race but just things like families with different customs/values. Occasionally there might be an American but nobody of a different nationality makes a long-term move: not in Emmerdale or Hollyoaks anyway.

There also seems to be a lack of community in Hollyoaks. There's obviously communal places like The Dog and College Coffee but apart from a murder or massive explosion, nobody seems particularly bothered about the town.

Eastenders has a Muslim family, many black/mixed race characters, a Latvian, a gay man, lesbians, a bisexual, a character with dwarfism and a recurring Irish character.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18
    Forum Member

Chester just isn't a very ethnically diverse place. In all fairness though Hollyoaks seems to comprise of mostly southerners and Mancunians, which doesn't really reflect Chester either.
  • Options
    ScrabblerScrabbler Posts: 51,488
    Forum Member
    And don't forget it even has a Polish deli.
  • Options
    Rick_PoppaRick_Poppa Posts: 1,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hollyoaks had Doug (American, Bi then hugged Gay), Jamil, Noah, Pete (disabled) Scott, Vincent, Phoebe, Sonny .... It has a very diverse cast...
  • Options
    TrebleKingTrebleKing Posts: 2,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For crying out loud, what is it with this obsession? How many Americans, Canadians or Aussies are going to settle in the likes of Weatherfield or Emmerdale? Same with Arabs, Chinese, Vietnamese, etc.
  • Options
    Jack_ClintonJack_Clinton Posts: 2,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like the Midsummer Murders producer once said: immigrants tend to stay in cities and large urban areas.

It was something along those lines.

That is probably why, programmes like that and Emmerdale (which is set in the countryside) has hardly any non-English characters, (the Sharmas aside).
  • Options
    GracieLGracieL Posts: 4,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TrebleKing wrote: »
    For crying out loud, what is it with this obsession? How many Americans, Canadians or Aussies are going to settle in the likes of Weatherfield or Emmerdale? Same with Arabs, Chinese, Vietnamese, etc.

I agree, I honestly don't get why they have to put as much diversity in as possible, it just looks so unrealistic. Like one street is going to have three gay people, one lesbian, one Hindu family and one Muslim family, amongst other nationalities.
  • Options
    lady_xanaxlady_xanax Posts: 5,662
    Forum Member
    TrebleKing wrote: »

I don't see why not. Even Cornwall is becoming more culturally diverse (mainly Eastern European and Chinese people).

It's a fictional programme, they could have whatever nationalities/religions they want. Seeing as murders and affairs are the dish of the day, I don't think they need to worry about plausibility.

It's got nothing to do with filling any quotas- just showing the most interesting mix of people that they can. It would be nice to see some characters that have much stricter moral codes for example. There's no drama in adultery or drugs any more because the characters (I speak mainly of Hollyoaks) all have a culturally lax attitude. If you added cultural issues into the mix, it adds an extra tension and a genuine dilemma.

I guess I should start watching Eastenders...
  • Options
    StykerStyker Posts: 50,155
    Forum Member
    Doctors is made and set in Birmingham and while they don't go too big on permanent characters cultures, they do feature a fair few ethnic minority characters over the years as part of the different daily storylines and I have always enjoyed them. The programme generally is very good too.
  • Options
    vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scrabbler wrote: »
    Eastenders has a Muslim family, many black/mixed race characters, a Latvian, a gay man, lesbians, a bisexual, a character with dwarfism and a recurring Irish character.

My report card on this would be- B-

it could do better Scarbbler- its still 80% white.
  • Options
    all_nightall_night Posts: 7,636
    Forum Member
    I think the soaps do well. It shouldn't be just to tick boxes, which you can spot a mile-off. I think we have the balance just right at the moment.
  • Options
    DeschanelDeschanel Posts: 8,753
    Forum Member
    That is probably why, programmes like that and Emmerdale (which is set in the countryside) has hardly any non-English characters, (the Sharmas aside).
    I think I get what you're trying to say, but it comes across as if people who are English will be white, while everyone else must be immigrants. The Sharmas are English regardless of their skin colour - Georgia (obviously), Jai, Priya and Nikhil (when he was around) were all born in England, so are English; Rishi is the only one who is most likely to have been born and raised in India.
    I guess I should start watching Eastenders...
    I totally get what you mean. Different cultural perspectives adds a different dimension to the same ol' same ol' storylines of affairs and murders. Characters don't flinch any more. With EastEnders, they have the Masoods, who are Muslim, and Aleks, who is Latvian, but apart from that, you won't find much difference in reactions to the run of the mill plots.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chester just isn't a very ethnically diverse place. In all fairness though Hollyoaks seems to comprise of mostly southerners and Mancunians, which doesn't really reflect Chester either.

I disagree, I've known plenty of Southerners in Chester! Personally I can't see the appeal of Chester, it's a lousy excuse for a city. And I should know, coz I live there! :D
  • Options
    J-BJ-B Posts: 18,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was having a pint with me mates down The Woolpack the other day, and R Sammeh came in and said he'd just been to Leeds and had something called a 'Donna Kebab'. Me being slightly uncultured and that, just thought it was a name for that Donna's sexual exploits.

Turns out it was actual authentic Greek food :eek:>:( I told him sharpish that we don't take kindly to outsiders round 'ere, especially them shifty Greeks - Far too much multiculturalification in my book.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    Citadel wrote: »
    I disagree, I've known plenty of Southerners in Chester! Personally I can't see the appeal of Chester, it's a lousy excuse for a city. And I should know, coz I live there! :D

So do I, but I'm very defensive of it, I think it's a lovely place, there's just not much going on... :P But definitely fewer murders/falling down stairs than in Hollyoaks. Which is good.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So do I, but I'm very defensive of it, I think it's a lovely place, there's just not much going on... :P But definitely fewer murders/falling down stairs than in Hollyoaks. Which is good.

Moss Side probably has fewer murders than HO! :D