Options

Fav Commentators

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 733
Forum Member
✭✭
Motty is a legend although he says some stupid things sometimes and is biased to England and Roooooooooney!
I don't like David Pleat or McCarth. Clive Tyldsley is pretty good. Thoughts? Sorry if it's been done before.

Comments

• Options
    fordjfordj Posts: 514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Steve Wilson on the beeb is my favourite by a country mile. The guy’s passion for the game comes across very well. He manages to successfully capture the drama and excitement of a match. Sorry can’t stand Tyldsley, he’s the opposite of Wilson, tends to witter on and on about inconsequential trivia instead of actually commentating the game.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,590
    Forum Member
    Steve Wilson and Guy Mowbray are two I both like, they could easily take over from Motty as the number one. I don't mind Motty on the England games but I think that should be all he does, he's really losing it big time. Of the Beeb's lot, Pearce gets on my nerves as he seems to be the James Allen of football - really faked enthusiasm. Every goal from 25+ yards is the goal of the century if he's commentating on it.

I'm disappointed with their 'analysts' though. Lawro is alright with anyone other than Motty, when he then seems to rely on cheeky one liners and jokes that are cringeworthy to say the least. Mark Bright and Mick McCarthy aren't very good, the latter not helped by an abysmal record as a manager at the highest level which devalues anything he has to say. I like Gavin Peacock a lot, but I fear he'll be stuck where he is as third or fourth choice because he wasn't a big name player.

As for ITV, I can't stand Tyldesley but I can tolerate Drury and I like Champion. Jim Beglin is a great analyst and really knows what he's talking about, but Southgate and Pleat are just useless.
  • Options
    fordjfordj Posts: 514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agree with just about everything in the previous post. David Pleat seems to think the role of a co-commentator is to talk constantly throughout the entire match. Can’t believe ITV gave him both the UEFA Cup final and champions league. Him and Tyldsley together are just unbearable. Jim Beglin is a far superior analyst but the chances of him getting the live semi final on ITV or the final are zero.

Jonathan Pierce has a really bizarre monotone method of commentating except when there’s a goal then he goes mental, just sounds totally fake. Don’t mind Lawro that much simply because he usually only speaks when prompted by the commentator and keeps his comments short. David Pleat take note.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has to be Motty for me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I forgot to mention that i don't like Drury and Bright. I suppose Wilson, Mowbray and Champion are the best but they don't commentate on the big matches so we are stuck with Pleat ( doesn't it bug you when he says "evening all" every time). I find Lawro quite funny.
  • Options
    david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Favourite Commentator has to be Mr Match Sound of BBCi.

Says it all really. :)
  • Options
    Hamlet77Hamlet77 Posts: 22,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Motty for me, but then I am getting old so I am probably just more comfortable with him.

I am still surprised that ITV cannot find anyone better than Tyldsley (??), the thing is after watching ITVs coverage, they can't..... I cannot stand John Champion at ITV, he is just c**p.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    demorules wrote:
    Mark Bright and Mick McCarthy aren't very good, the latter not helped by an abysmal record as a manager at the highest level which devalues anything he has to say.

That's a little unfair on McCarthy. The Republic of Ireland got as far in 2002 as Spain, Sweden and Ghana got this week. He has experience of managing a team in a World Cup (on a shoestring budget, I might add) and all the travails that come with it, such as playing in extreme heat and dealing with FIFA's officialdom.

His lugubrious voice doesn't make him the most fascinating of men to listen to, but that's not the same as saying his words have no value. :D

EDIT: It's very telling that Glenn Hoddle, the England manager at the 1998 World Cup, doesn't seem to have been invited to share his thoughts with either the BBC or ITV as a summariser. And with a possible England-Argentina match looming, too.

Wonder why... :)
  • Options
    sonparcsonparc Posts: 33
    Forum Member
    John Motson in my opinion is absolutely the worst. He spends all his time trotting out obscure trivia about things that happened 50 years ago or speculating on what might happen instead reporting on what IS happening.

All comentators fail to remember that they can see the whole pitch and we cannot most of the time and the information I want is how teams change formation or player positions after subs and injuries etc. not more statistics. Give me 'stadium sound' every time.
  • Options
    SherazSheraz Posts: 1,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In France we are lucky we got Arsene Wenger (Arsenal manager) and Gerrard Houiller (ex Liverpool manager and actual Lyon manager) commenting the games on the first channel ,TF1. They are great imo.

Then on the other channel, we got two former Champions, Christophe Dugary and Franck Leboeuf , if people remember them :D , it's atrocious to hear him commenting harshly a game and the players (esp. when he was not a top class player himself *cough*)