Horse Racing 2013

Comments

• swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    triton333 wrote: »
    It's been reported this morning that Black Caviar will not run in the Newmarket Handicap, so sanity has prevailed. Her next race is the William Reid Stakes at Moonee Valley on 22 March.

thanks for the update !

Good card at Navan today with 4 Grade 2 races with 4 to 6 runner fields ..... 3 odds on and a 5/4 fave all got beat

When I see these cards with small field races I keep thinking I ought to be doing a Yankee on the faves..............but I'm always glad I don't...............:D

Basically you've got to get all 4 winners to make it worthwhile
  • Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The prediction game website that we use for some of the snooker comps are doing a British Horse Racing comp too. It is 20 of the biggest races of the year starting with Cheltenham and ended with the King George. If enough interest we could do a DS mini league
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    My last two bets have won and I'm going for the hat-trick with Grandioso in the 2.40 at Kemp at 2/1 BOG

I quite fancied Quito de la Roque in the Bobbyjo but he's lame and a non runner............so I'll probably just stick with the one bet today

Anyone else lumping on anything ?

Newcastle is off so C4 are going to show 3 races from Lingfield............it's a good card with 2 Listed races and a fiercely competitive handicap sprint. I might go through the card later and see if I fancy anything............:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just watching the ATR Sunday Forum with Matt and Big Mac having arguments about everything.................I know it's all knockabout and a bit silly but it's great fun.............:p
  • alanrollinsalanrollins Posts: 3,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Sunday Forum is good value when those two are on. I missed it, who was the third guy this week?

On the subject of broadcasting, that Graham Cunningham seems to keep suggesting losing favourites amongst his "tips" on C4, the more I listen to him the more it sounds like he is talking absolute rubbish. In particular a week or two ago his suggestions of Sanctuaire and Grands Crus were amongst the most absurd I have ever come across...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The Sunday Forum is good value when those two are on. I missed it, who was the third guy this week?

On the subject of broadcasting, that Graham Cunningham seems to keep suggesting losing favourites amongst his "tips" on C4, the more I listen to him the more it sounds like he is talking absolute rubbish. In particular a week or two ago his suggestions of Sanctuaire and Grands Crus were amongst the most absurd I have ever come across...

Peter Thomas from the Racing Post was the other guest
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Strange story doing the rounds today..........Peter Chapple-Hyam is in trouble with the BHA for failing to comply with an investigation, in particular the failure to provide phone records

The BHA have said that they will not reveal what the investigation was about until this charge of failing to provide evidence has been dealt with

PC-H was a top trainer when i went for a break from the sport in the mid-90s, he's won the Derby and was a young up and coming star of the training ranks. When I came back to the sport 10 years later he'd slipped down the ranks considerably.

Hence there was some surprise that he'd been entrusted to train the world's most expensive racehorse, Hydrogen, who runs as a 2yo this year

Should be interesting to find out what's been going on !
  • dtcdtcdtcdtcdtcdtc Posts: 16,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    Strange story doing the rounds today..........Peter Chapple-Hyam is in trouble with the BHA for failing to comply with an investigation, in particular the failure to provide phone records

The BHA have said that they will not reveal what the investigation was about until this charge of failing to provide evidence has been dealt with

PC-H was a top trainer when i went for a break from the sport in the mid-90s, he's won the Derby and was a young up and coming star of the training ranks. When I came back to the sport 10 years later he'd slipped down the ranks considerably.

Hence there was some surprise that he'd been entrusted to train the world's most expensive racehorse, Hydrogen, who runs as a 2yo this year

Should be interesting to find out what's been going on !

Said on the radio this morning that he witheld his mobile phone records , then when pushed gave them inaccurate ones
    In the current climate of racefixing/ non triers , this could result in him being banned
    The way it was reported, suggested that it wasn't incompetence or slackness, but that it was deliberate
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    dtcdtcdtc wrote: »
    Said on the radio this morning that he witheld his mobile phone records , then when pushed gave them inaccurate ones
    In the current climate of racefixing/ non triers , this could result in him being banned
    The way it was reported, suggested that it wasn't incompetence or slackness, but that it was deliberate

sounds a bit dodgy..............:o
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,672
    Forum Member
    Dark day for our sport today with numerous fatalities across Catterick and Lingfield Park. Heartbreaking stuff. In particular that leg injury suffered by No Way Hozay was horrendous. :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    Dark day for our sport today with numerous fatalities across Catterick and Lingfield Park. Heartbreaking stuff. In particular that leg inhury suffered by No Way Hozay injury was horrendous. :(

Yes, it was horrible
    Forum Member
    Yes, it was horrible
    Not sure why Racing UK cut off the distressed racegoer either. She was entitled to her views, and I hardly think it was "unconstructive" as the presenter claimed. I resent the way the racing media tries to deflect away from these kind of tragedies, unless of course it's a top horse that was Cheltenham-bound or something. You'll find little coverage of this on the various websites for example, today. And yet we lost a number of good horses.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    Not sure why Racing UK cut off the distressed racegoer either. She was entitled to her views, and I hardly think it was "unconstructive" as the presenter claimed. I resent the way the racing media tries to deflect away from these kind of tragedies, unless of course it's a top horse that was Cheltenham-bound or something. You'll find little coverage of this on the various websites for example, today. And yet we lost a number of good horses.

to be honest I switched channels as soon as i saw it...........

It is a tricky one because we all know that on Grand National day, and for one day only, the silent majority will descend upon the forums to express their disgust............. we who love and follow the sport have to accept that fatalities are an inevitable consequence of our sport. It does make us appear hard-hearted.
  • SilvioDanteSilvioDante Posts: 2,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Argh...............caught on the line by a McCoy driving finish..........:eek:

Backed Ardkilly Witness a week or 2 ago again, another 2nd. :rolleyes:
  • Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As per Charles Sale: 'C4 bring back Down '
    'Channel 4 have reacted to the botched start to their new racing coverage — viewing figures are down 12 per cent — by bringing back the erudite Alastair Down, one of the on-screen talents shown the door.
    Down’s return for next month’s Cheltenham Festival and other major meetings could be seen as a counter to John McCririck, C4’s most high-profile casualty, launching a £3m ageism court action.
    C4 say Down’s comeback has no connection whatsoever with McCririck.'
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Talking of old C4 presenters Lesley Graham was on ATR yesterday being interviewed at the track by 'Sir Bob'

Seems like she's enjoying her new role as boss of Racing Welfare, she was pretty chirpy and cheerful.............

To be honest she was a bit rubbish on C4 Morning Line which I where I mainly saw her so perhaps it's as well that she's moved on and found something useful to do !
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As per Charles Sale: 'C4 bring back Down '
    'Channel 4 have reacted to the botched start to their new racing coverage — viewing figures are down 12 per cent — by bringing back the erudite Alastair Down, one of the on-screen talents shown the door.
    Down’s return for next month’s Cheltenham Festival and other major meetings could be seen as a counter to John McCririck, C4’s most high-profile casualty, launching a £3m ageism court action.
    C4 say Down’s comeback has no connection whatsoever with McCririck.'

Personally I think that is superb news.

Down was probably the one I was most disappointed to see removed.

Quite what they think Graham Cunningham adds to things when they already have the tipster in Jim McGrath and the ex-jockey perspective of Mick Fitzgerald, I have no idea.

I would shuffle Mr Cunningham back to Racing UK where he can infest that channel with his fairly forgettable ramblings which from what I can see mostly involve backing red hot losing favourites.

I've read a thread on the Betfair Forum, in the last two years, backing McGrath's morning line tips at best odds available at time of the tip would have netted around a 50% return on investment. Mick Fitzgerald has so far been on fire.

By contrast, Cunningham would have lost you £385 this year. From £500 staked.
  • triton333triton333 Posts: 1,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How about this for an imaginative name of a race?
    Race 1 - 6:45PM Black Caviar Tickets on Sale NOW Handicap (1000 METRES)
    http://www.risa.com.au/FreeFields/Form.aspx?Key=2013Mar01,VIC,Moonee%20Valley

Black Caviar races at the same track in three weeks, also at night. It will be the last race on the program and there will be a one-hour gap after the previous race to make time for whatever hoopla they've got planned. She wouldn't want to lose with all that going on.
    Forum Member
    Bad day at the office for David Probert who will miss 28 days of action including the start of the Flat season after easing down early on a heavily backed favourite that was otherwise sure to win:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8fTK7j0PNY
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Amazing to think back a few years that Probert and William Buick were fighting out the apprentice championship and at the time Probert was the one who was being tipped as having a bright future
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe it'll teach him in the future that its perhaps best to ride out to the line... especially when you are barely half a length flippin clear.

Didn't back it myself, but a 28 day ban isn't much consolation to the people that had bucket loads on considering it went off at evens.
  • dtcdtcdtcdtcdtcdtc Posts: 16,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bc11 wrote: »
    Maybe it'll teach him in the future that its perhaps best to ride out to the line... especially when you are barely half a length flippin clear.

Didn't back it myself, but a 28 day ban isn't much consolation to the people that had bucket loads on considering it went off at evens.

Totally agree
    28 days doesn't seem enough. That may sound harsh but this seems to happen a few times during the season
    If it was a harsher penalty, it may reduce it to nil which is what it should be
    Conversely, I doubt whether the punters who were on the eventual winner would agree
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just one horse for me, Lord Wishes in the 1530 at Doncaster. Checking his form I think he runs to about 138 with scope for improvement and I think it will need a few others to really go well for him to be beat. Still has another stone or two of improvement in him for me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Good luck with that one alan............I'd be a bit worried about that favourite, Aaim To Prosper, stepping up to 3 miles, lightly raced, Nichols-walsh...........I think the decent ground will play to his Flat speed in the race finish

Well...............my last 3 have all won at around 2/1 to 5/2 but I'm going for a shorter price one today, Toubab in the 2.20 at donc.

Again it's a Nichols-walsh horse that's been waiting for some decent ground. Took 5/4 BOG

Although it's a shorter price than my last few I'm not quite as confident as it's never won in handicap company which does worry me a bit..............novice and grade race form doesn't always transfer to handicaps

I think I might be getting sucked in to looking for one to keep my run going rather than waiting for one that I'm very confident about...............:o..............hopefully it will win and I'll worry about the phsycology of it afterwards...............:p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Phew..............thought he might get caught on the run in but Ruby had kept a bit up his sleeve !

Winning run goes to 4..............blimey the pressure is on.........:p