Microgynon problems

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 715
Forum Member
✭✭
My daughter aged 19 has been on Microgynon for 10 days. She is suffering headaches and yesterday I found her crying feeling really depressed. She is registered with a GP at her university and is at home at present so will not visit our GP. Has anyone else had problems with this pill and should she just stop straight away or continue until she can see her own GP?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My daughter is on that pill too and she has been fine. However, they affect different people differently and so I would encourage her to go and talk it through with a doctor or practice nurse. She can go as a temporary patient while she is at home with your doctor. It might be that after the first cycle it will sort itself out - is she just feeling a little low anyway and its a coincidence? However, I would get the headaches checked out.:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanx for reply. I have encouraged her to visit our own GP's but they are both male and she would have to fill out a form, which seems to be a double whammy for a 19-year-old! I asked her to make an appointment with the uni doc's for early next week when she is back, but of course she hasn't done it. What can you do but give advice and love them?:confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Definitely encourage her to go to the doctor, but it's early days yet - I went on Microgynon when I was 18 and I suffered a 6-week period to begin with! It affects everyone in different ways, some worse than others, and if it gets too bad she can switch to another pill. However, give it a couple of months - eventually the hormones will settle. Then again, I've found that while my periods have become more bearable while on Microgynon (which is why I went on it in the first place), my mood swings increased dramatically and now for a few days a month I feel absolutely dreadful and depressed. If she feels she can't cope, definitely get her to switch.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She's going back to Uni tomorrow and is still in bad form but at least she will get to talk with her GP. Thanx for replies. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,177
    Forum Member
    I've never been on Microgynon but when I first took the pill I was depressed for about 2 years. For some reason I never put it down to being on the pill until I spoke to people about it. I'm okay now but if I knew it was a side effect of the pill I was taking I would have stopped taking it. Nothing was worth feeling that low.

If I was her I would stop taking it, but that's just me.
  • mangomoonmangomoon Posts: 2,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Been on this pill for quite a few years and not had any effects, however it does take a little time to get used to it, especially if she has only been on it 10 days.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i been on this piss for 7 years never had any problems with it it just made my problems what i had before i was on it a whole lot better
  • RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had no problem with that pill but due to high BP I was changed to the Mini pill - my God, I lasted 3 months and then came off the pill altogether for 4 years!!!

I am now using Mercilon, which touch wood has been fine!!
  • fat controllerfat controller Posts: 13,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i been on this piss for 7 years never had any problems with it it just made my problems what i had before i was on it a whole lot better

'L' is at the other side of the keyboard ;)

Mrs C used to take Microgynon, and it did not suit her at all - headaches, sore legs, mood swings, all sorts; she is now taking Cerazette, and has no problems with it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 61
    Forum Member

Mrs C used to take Microgynon, and it did not suit her at all - headaches, sore legs, mood swings, all sorts; she is now taking Cerazette, and has no problems with it.

I had so many problems with Microgynon, headaches, severe migraines the lot!

It can be fine for some people but as fat controller says, I would give Cerazette a try. That's what I'm on and I've had no problems at all :D

xxx
  • FearFactorFearFactor Posts: 2,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been taking Microgynon for 13 years without a problem, but as others have said different pills affect different people on different ways.

Hopefully if she is back at Uni now she'll see her GP and get sorted.

fF
  • NathalieRNathalieR Posts: 16,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hate this pill. I can be fine with some people but caused me no end of grief the second time I took it (first time it was fine). Made me depressed, insecure, and short tempered and I changed back when I came off it. I only made the link when I had a look online and so many people were saying the same thing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanx all. I must text her and see if whe has managed to see her gp yet. I think she's doing her boyfriend's head in! :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 81
    Forum Member
    I was on that pill for 7 years. During the last 3 I suffered periods of huge depression. Did some research and found links with depression and that pill, especially where there is a family history. Spoke to my doctor who tried to fob me off but stopped taking it anyway. feel SOOO much better for it. best choice I made!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 958
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Headaches are a major side effect of microgynon, deffo go see the GP and change pills.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chopin wrote: »
    My daughter aged 19 has been on Microgynon for 10 days. She is suffering headaches and yesterday I found her crying feeling really depressed. She is registered with a GP at her university and is at home at present so will not visit our GP. Has anyone else had problems with this pill and should she just stop straight away or continue until she can see her own GP?

I had to come off Microgynon aged 19 because of the side effects. I had headaches and felt dizzy, plus I had terribly nightmares! I switched to Brevinor, and all was fine. She needs to see her own GP, who may suggest trying something else.
  • Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Get some Valerian in her, she'll be fine.
  • oscardelahoyaoscardelahoya Posts: 4,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to have this pill a few years ago, and it was a nightmare looking back. It made me stroppy and miserable and also I got pregnant while I was on it. I can't remember the one I had after but it was ok. I think it was Marvelon. I'm not on any anymore and I'm like an ordinary person again, it's great!