Options

Home births and midwife led units, your thoughts.

2»

Comments

• Options
    CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought I wanted everything with my first and demanded an epidural which worked fine at first and I slept through contractions but the top ups didn't work and it does slow labour down, I got no urge to push so the birth ended up being much longer and more traumatic than it needed be. I would never have another one.
  • Options
    My Sweet LifeMy Sweet Life Posts: 1,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For a low risk, normal delivery, there is no reason not to have it at home. Often there is no need for a doctor, even in hospital as midwives are more experienced and better than doctors at delivering babies. Unless of course there is a problem! But generally I would not have a problem having a baby at home or in a midwife led unit. Women have been having babies since the year dot (obviously) and I don't think it needs to be too medicalised. When I've seen programmes where American women give birth, it terrifies me as they don't really have (or understand the concept of) midwives in the US - it's doctor led and very medicalised. Totally unnecessary.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alsmama wrote: »
    Given that any birth can turn suddenly and have any number of totally unexpected problems I don't know why anyone goes for a home birth. Ky second baby looked like she was coming normally, contractions were coming thick and fast and yet when I got to the delivery suite it turned out I had a ruptured uterus, baby was already out of the womb wallowing in gunk and frankly had I stayed at home much longer, or tried for a home birth, she (and possibly I) wouldn't be here today.

I also can't see how it is cost effective... You end up with two,midwives at home for hours on end with one person while those who choose to go to hospital are left with less midwives running around.

I only ever had one midwife in attendance. My fourth birth ended in an emergency section, the baby was transverse and they were still setting up theatre by the time I arrived at the hospital.

Oh and someone mentioned only being little. I'm 4'11" :D
    irishguy wrote: »
    Okay, being an ignorant guy, theres something that always confused me about labour. Why is it that many women want as 'natural' a birth as possible? No epidural, just gas as pain relief. Whats that about? If it was me I'd be demanding every opiate in the building, screw the natural plan.... people often died of childbirth back when it was done 'naturally'.. :confused:

I used gas and air with my first two and by the third didn't use anything at all, I didn't need it. It sounds very hippy, but I found that working 'with' my body, then it wasn't painful as such. The body is designed to give birth and changes occur to make it easier. I'm not a martyr and I don't wear it as a medal, I think I just became more confident and went with it rather than worrying about it.

When women regularly died of childbirth, that was due to lack of hygiene over and above anything else.
  • Options
    netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has anyone watched the American version of One born every minute? I'd hate to give birth there, it's seems to be standard procedure to give an epidural, legs in stirrups and yank the baby out with forceps. I've been watching it for a few weeks and I haven't seen a good birth yet!

I wanted water births when I was pregnant, of all the births I've watched, they seem to be the least traumatic. Sadly I was high risk and had emergency sections, I've never even been in labour :(

Hospital births in this country have moved on a lot, you have the freedom to move around which speeds up labour, (unless you have the epidural), can have a water birth and give birth in whichever position feels right. Gone are the days where you had to give birth flat on your back on the hospital bed working against gravity.
  • Options
    droogiefretdroogiefret Posts: 24,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If my wife had wanted a home birth I'd have supported obviously. There was no question though, all three were scheduled c-sections because of a strange shaped uterus. I was quite relieved - and of course all three came out looking beautiful.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,400
    Forum Member
    Our daughter was born in hospital & the experience was to say the least not really good. Firstly we arrived & then they told my wife she wasnt far enough on & that she should go home & that was at 11am, by 17.18 our daughter was born, then she wouldnt latch on to be breast fed & as our daughter was born at 17.18, my wife missed out on food , & by the time she'd got back on ward everything was closed & she was told that the vending machines had some crisps & chocolate, then they had stitched up her up wrongly. No help in trying to get our daughter to breast feed. The food was inedible , a large sausage & mash , my god there wasnt enough there to keep a pigeon alive let alone somebody who'd been through blood , sweat & tears the day before. The gravey was like some thick brown gunge that was more suited for road maintanence purposes , the hospital could have collapsed & that gunge wouldnt have moved an inch. Paitents shouldnt be having to get their husbands to have call in at M&S etc to buy food because the offerings they served up where more suited to a concentration camp.

Our son was born at home & to say it was a far less stressful, more relaxed experience would be a understatement. Only thing that went dicky was that on my way home from work , some dipstcik had to top himself on the rail line & so delay me getting home. But everything was fine , midwifes that came where lovely, son arived at 17.36 , wife stictched up properly & by 19.00 all was done & dusted , had a nice meal & settled down for a busy night with our newbie. I had my reservations about a homebirth but i was a full convert given how hassle free it was compared to the delights of the hospital.

All in all given the costs quoted it must have cost about £2k for our daughter for a hospital birth & just over £1k for our son to be born at home.

:)
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For a low risk, normal delivery, there is no reason not to have it at home. Often there is no need for a doctor, even in hospital as midwives are more experienced and better than doctors at delivering babies. Unless of course there is a problem! But generally I would not have a problem having a baby at home or in a midwife led unit. Women have been having babies since the year dot (obviously) and I don't think it needs to be too medicalised. When I've seen programmes where American women give birth, it terrifies me as they don't really have (or understand the concept of) midwives in the US - it's doctor led and very medicalised. Totally unnecessary.

Really? Because one of my American friends is a "doula" and has had all her babies at home without painkillers or a doctor. She even made a big deal about how she was interviewing midwives for her last pregnancy. Same for my cousin in Portland- all four babies born at home with a midwife present, and I have two more friends who have had their babies without an epidural while in hospital, so it's not like women there don't have a choice. ;)