Official Snooker Thread (Part 3)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 457
    Forum Member
    Also is anyone else getting fed up and disillusioned with the BBC coverage of the snooker?
  • HaydenHayden Posts: 32,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also is anyone else getting fed up and disillusioned with the BBC coverage of the snooker?

No because I haven't watched a minute of it.
    Eurosport all the way for me -notwithstanding the regular delays for women's tennis.
    Forum Member
    Hayden wrote: »
    No because I haven't watched a minute of it.
    Eurosport all the way for me -notwithstanding the regular delays for women's tennis.

Unfortunately haven't got Eurosport on freeview, so it's either been red button and online, and a few times it's disappeared off the red button to make way for other stuff. David Vine would be spining in his grave if he knew.:eek:
  • floopy123floopy123 Posts: 6,003
    Forum Member
    Judd potted a ball so fast it went faster than the speed of light!!!!
  • zawtowerszawtowers Posts: 1,454
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi folks,

Got back to Manchester, after having a great day. For those of you who were following my Twitter feed (and for those that asked, any post I make has the little twitter logo next to my handle to go straight there) you'll already know Michaela Tabb very kindly posed for a pic for me - just managed to time it right as she was coming in with no one around and she was very accommodating. Yaay Michaela!

The morning session of course started with Brian, the Coventry City fan who's been going to every session at the Crucible for the last 20 years or so. Rob Walker had him do the walk on and then he proposed to his girlfriend Lisa. I spoke to them at the end of the session and she admitted that she wasn't going to say no, so that was a relief for him I think!

The Joe Perry v Steven Maguire game went by pretty quickly with Perry looking like he could make a fight back of sorts before Maguire rediscovered his on-fire form and won the two he needed to take the match 13-7. The other game (Ryan Day v Cao Yupeng) went to the mid-session at the same time, so it was a case of get a coffee and go back in to watch it.

Cao had done well to get back to 6-5 initially, and then it was 7-6 to Day. The next two frames were crucial as Day capitalised on Cao's errors, before one was pulled back for 9-7 at the end. Cao did meet some fans outside after the session and he looked fairly relaxed about it all, and was very amiable.

The crowds and excitement were building up for the afternoon session, understandably really. I went over to the Winter Gardens and both Steve and JP were sounding rather enthusiastic when talking to Hazel, and I headed in. My seat was level with the blue spot and middle right pocket, and my girlfriend says she saw me (green check shirt) when Ronnie came out.

The first half of the session was a close thing: despite Ronnie getting 4 half centuries, Mark pulled off a great clearance to make it 2-2 at mid-session. Some idiots didn't switch off their phones and it put Ronnie off on one shot, definitely. You'd think they'd know especially as Rob and the Crucible staff always tell you to turn it off.

The second half of the session was just as engrossing, with some the frames a bit see-saw, especially the last one which Ronnie won with some audacious double shots. It was a great session to be in, and with Stephen Hendry finishing the job off against John Higgins, all was pretty good.

I stayed around in Sheffield for a bit longer and was rewarded with spotting Ali Carter heading in for the evening, and Neil Robertson off to practice with his beanie hat on (to be fair it was weeing it down at the time) before heading back on the train.

It's just a shame it'll be my last visit this year (unless I fluke any more tickets) but it's been good to go there again and soak up the atmosphere. For those of you who haven't been before, I can highly recommend it as I'm sure those of us who've gone will testify.

Pics to follow....
  • GibmanGibman Posts: 621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    why does carter walk around the table like a penguin?
  • Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gibman wrote: »
    why does carter walk around the table like a penguin?

The poor guy has Crhon's disease
  • GibmanGibman Posts: 621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yeah i know he does but that doesn't affect the way you walk.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gibman wrote: »
    yeah i know he does but that doesn't affect the way you walk.

Is this a wind up ?

It affects your bowels so he could be in all sorts of discomfort.

I have seen 4 posts from you now. 2 were removed for libel content and the other two are slightly disrespectful.
  • MarkBealesMarkBeales Posts: 3,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone else spotted Facejacker's Brian Badonde in the crowd. :D
  • zawtowerszawtowers Posts: 1,454
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pics are now up with today's stuff added, and my set for this year is complete:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zawtowers/sets/72157629502524622/

And yes, there's Michaela and Neil Robertson in there (especially for Elanor!)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zawtowers wrote: »

Great pics as always mate and i 100% agree, Michaela looks gorgeous as ever. Older than me by 15 days so just the right age :D

Come on, open up, who is really nice and who has been a bit of an arse - we wont tell anyone.
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Nice pictures. Good to see Uncle Clive. :)
    Forum Member

Brilliant set of pics fella, especially the one of Michaela :D:D
  • ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great pics as usual! Awwww, look at Clive. I hope he knows how much we love him!

Darren Letham - it's hard to tell who's genuinely nice and who's putting it on, but I know that Mark Williams almost never stops and chats or signs, neither does Stephen Maguire (and I've seen Maguire refusing to stop to let a small child take a photo too - I'm sure I've told the story here before). I've seen Neil and Mark Allen, Joe Perry, Joe Swail taking ages signing and posing and so on, and Michaela of course. Jan Verhaas always seems happy to stop and talk too. Much as I dislike Ebdon, I've seen him take a lot of time to talk to fans, especially children.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks Elanor. I'm interviewing "Kenny" Doherty in a couple of weeks. He always seems a nice guy
  • MarkBealesMarkBeales Posts: 3,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Elanor wrote: »
    Great pics as usual! Awwww, look at Clive. I hope he knows how much we love him!

Darren Letham - it's hard to tell who's genuinely nice and who's putting it on, but I know that Mark Williams almost never stops and chats or signs, neither does Stephen Maguire (and I've seen Maguire refusing to stop to let a small child take a photo too - I'm sure I've told the story here before). I've seen Neil and Mark Allen, Joe Perry, Joe Swail taking ages signing and posing and so on, and Michaela of course. Jan Verhaas always seems happy to stop and talk too. Much as I dislike Ebdon, I've seen him take a lot of time to talk to fans, especially children.

So not really one of the nicest guys on the circuit then, Maguire. The whole not wearing a bow tie thing puts me off him a bit to be honest
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks Elanor. I'm interviewing "Kenny" Doherty in a couple of weeks. He always seems a nice guy

I love Ken. I really REALLY love Ken. I don't know what it is about him...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MarkBeales wrote: »
    So not really one of the nicest guys on the circuit then, Maguire. The whole not wearing a bow tie thing puts me off him a bit to be honest

Maybe he's lovely with his family and friends, who knows. Plus anyone who doesn't get on with Smurph must have some good points. But I saw him be rude to a small boy, and how upset small boy was afterwards, and it put me right off him.
  • BarracuteBarracute Posts: 243,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi folks,

Got back to Manchester, after having a great day. For those of you who were following my Twitter feed (and for those that asked, any post I make has the little twitter logo next to my handle to go straight there) you'll already know Michaela Tabb very kindly posed for a pic for me - just managed to time it right as she was coming in with no one around and she was very accommodating. Yaay Michaela!

The morning session of course started with Brian, the Coventry City fan who's been going to every session at the Crucible for the last 20 years or so. Rob Walker had him do the walk on and then he proposed to his girlfriend Lisa. I spoke to them at the end of the session and she admitted that she wasn't going to say no, so that was a relief for him I think!

The Joe Perry v Steven Maguire game went by pretty quickly with Perry looking like he could make a fight back of sorts before Maguire rediscovered his on-fire form and won the two he needed to take the match 13-7. The other game (Ryan Day v Cao Yupeng) went to the mid-session at the same time, so it was a case of get a coffee and go back in to watch it.

Cao had done well to get back to 6-5 initially, and then it was 7-6 to Day. The next two frames were crucial as Day capitalised on Cao's errors, before one was pulled back for 9-7 at the end. Cao did meet some fans outside after the session and he looked fairly relaxed about it all, and was very amiable.

The crowds and excitement were building up for the afternoon session, understandably really. I went over to the Winter Gardens and both Steve and JP were sounding rather enthusiastic when talking to Hazel, and I headed in. My seat was level with the blue spot and middle right pocket, and my girlfriend says she saw me (green check shirt) when Ronnie came out.

The first half of the session was a close thing: despite Ronnie getting 4 half centuries, Mark pulled off a great clearance to make it 2-2 at mid-session. Some idiots didn't switch off their phones and it put Ronnie off on one shot, definitely. You'd think they'd know especially as Rob and the Crucible staff always tell you to turn it off.

The second half of the session was just as engrossing, with some the frames a bit see-saw, especially the last one which Ronnie won with some audacious double shots. It was a great session to be in, and with Stephen Hendry finishing the job off against John Higgins, all was pretty good.

I stayed around in Sheffield for a bit longer and was rewarded with spotting Ali Carter heading in for the evening, and Neil Robertson off to practice with his beanie hat on (to be fair it was weeing it down at the time) before heading back on the train.

It's just a shame it'll be my last visit this year (unless I fluke any more tickets) but it's been good to go there again and soak up the atmosphere. For those of you who haven't been before, I can highly recommend it as I'm sure those of us who've gone will testify.

Pics to follow....

Great report and pics (specially the one of Michaela!) thanks a lot sounded like you had quite a day :)
  • sas6789sas6789 Posts: 582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a bit weird, John Higgins has won 3 of the last 6 world titles yet the last two matchs he's lost in the event have been to a washed up Davis and Hendry
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sas6789 wrote: »
    It's a bit weird, John Higgins has won 3 of the last 6 world titles yet the last two matchs he's lost in the event have been to a washed up Davis and Hendry

Washed up ? Did you see Hendry beat Bingham ?
    Forum Member
    Washed up ? Did you see Hendry beat Bingham ?

Lol plus a 147 on day 1...not bad for a washed up player!!!!:eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MarkBeales wrote: »

He sounds almost as grumpy as you Mark :p

He has a doctors certificate allowIng him not to wear one. Alex Higgins was the same
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    sas6789 wrote: »

If Hendry is washed up, I'd love to see what he's like when he's on form. :eek: Stephen is a one off and should never be taken lightly.
This discussion has been closed.