Options

I think I've found UK's next year winner!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,077
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Okay, winner might be a bit far fetched, but I honestly think I've found an artist who could do well for the U.K at next year's Eurovision.

I saw her this year on BBC's Breakfast, where they interviewed her and discussed her upcoming album.

Her name is Phidel and the song is called Storm Song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEXwpBoIq_Q

I think it has the right balance of being European without being Eurovision - a trait of the this and last years winning songs.

What do you think?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 158
    Forum Member
    redlight79 wrote: »
    Okay, winner might be a bit far fetched, but I honestly think I've found an artist who could do well for the U.K at next year's Eurovision.

I saw her this year on BBC's Breakfast, where they interviewed her and discussed her upcoming album.

Her name is Phidel and the song is called Storm Song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEXwpBoIq_Q

I think it has the right balance of being European without being Eurovision - a trait of the this and last years winning songs.

What do you think?

That's definitely more like the sort of thing we should be sending.
  • Options
    NightFox_DancerNightFox_Dancer Posts: 14,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's been released before September this year and therefore it definitely cannot be eligible to enter.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just noticed on her YouTube link, if you like it, register your e-mail address, and you can get the song sent to you for free.
  • Options
    DamienSDamienS Posts: 12,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yea, that kind of sound could work
  • Options
    Cloudy2Cloudy2 Posts: 6,864
    Forum Member
    It's a step in the right direction.
  • Options
    DamienSDamienS Posts: 12,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    However, sending a girl who could prob have wild hair and bare feet is not the best idea the year after someone won that way!

We need something different!
  • Options
    citiuscitius Posts: 376
    Forum Member
    Yep, this is exactly the kind of song that will do well for us. Somebody tell the BBC.
  • Options
    mysty211mysty211 Posts: 4,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah thats really good that would do well. Lets hope the song won't be randomly chosen again.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,418
    Forum Member
    That's a really nice song, I'd be very happy if we sent something like that!
    Although I agree with DamienS that the comparisons with Loreen or Emilie might work against us.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    look no further than an artist called Florrie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5z_lxO14xcs
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    That's pretty good and I could see it doing well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even if we don't win with this song, or with Phildel, it gives us a step in the right direction.
    It needs to be a fair game, so we're on the same level with the other countries.
    Did the BBC really think we stood a chance of winning with Engelbert Humperdinck?
  • Options
    Toy_HeroToy_Hero Posts: 11,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's actually really good. This is the kinda stuff we need to be sending. That's the perfect sound because it would set us apart!
  • Options
    chemical2009bchemical2009b Posts: 5,250
    Forum Member
    redlight79 wrote: »
    Did the BBC really think we stood a chance of winning with Engelbert Humperdinck?

They only sent him because they didn't really want to win.
  • Options
    Toy_HeroToy_Hero Posts: 11,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is there anyway that the public can make it known that we are unhappy with BBC choosing who represents us and taking all control? :o It's frustrating that they just spring our entry on us and we have no say on the matter. It sucks because if we don't like our song, the rest of Europe won't either
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's been released before September this year and therefore it definitely cannot be eligible to enter.

I imagined there was some rule regarding this, but would a re-worked version of the song count? The album version is 3:50, and I know the songs have to be under 3 minutes to qualify. So Phildel can re-work it so it could qualify maybe?
  • Options
    QuartzManQuartzMan Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There really is no point speculating so early, I would assume that for the BBC eurovision is on the bottom of their agendas

It is a good song and would do very well, but why bother getting hopes up, the only way it would work so early is if a major public appeal was made for a specific artist.

I really hope we have someone who can represent Britain well and has a positive response from everywhere and ultimately gets a top 10 finish, but until Feb/March i'm not holding out much hope for the BBC, they have brough dissapointment too many times before
  • Options
    MissMidgardMissMidgard Posts: 5,756
    Forum Member
    I really like Phildel's sound - atmospheric, ethereal. This, combined with a tribal, driving drum sound would really be a step in the right direction.

I've realised that a song needs to be addictive in order to win Eurovision. A modern, chart-relevant sound isn't enough.
  • Options
    xxtimboxxtimbo Posts: 8,877
    Forum Member
    Even as we speak the BBC are contacting Sandie Shaw
    and asking her to have another go at winning Eurovision... in 2014....
    for old times sake...
    Shes well over 60 so that makes her eligible in their eyes.

Englebert... Bonny.... Sandie... lets keep the oldie trend going ...........
    ( maybe Cliff in 2015 ? )
  • Options
    EbealeEbeale Posts: 2,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sam smith would be good entry, good singer.
  • Options
    Gunner95Gunner95 Posts: 1,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Honestly we've had one good choice in the last decade. Even Blue with their 100 points weren't really as good a choice as their score would suggest.