Options

Deal Or No Deal - Fans Noticing The Decline

Comments

• Options
    ChateauMarmontChateauMarmont Posts: 2,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also hate how Noel tries and builds up suspense like this...

Noel: 'This isn't a laughing matter now, it's a one box game' (usually isn't)
    Ten seconds later....
    Noel: 'Put your hands on the side of the box'
    Ten seconds later....
    Noel: 'Pull the seal. This cannot be the news we don't want to hear'
    Twenty seconds later
    Guy opening the box: 'Good luck'
    Noel: 'He'll open the box. After the break'

It drives me mad!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    I am watching the show most days again(but only if I'm not out) due to a current run of unemployment.

The show really needs to get back to it's old 45 minute slot, instead of an hour. The shows are padded out with too much faffing about. Yet another occurence today of someone being (jokingly) ordered out of the studio for some silly little reason! Most would agree, the increase to an hour slot was a bad move. Get the show back to it's 45 minute slot!

The show is also on just far too much. Six days per week, 52 weeks of the year! It should be reduced to only being on 6 months per year(say September-March), and another quiz/game show in it's slot for the other 6 months of the year.

I totally agree, along with what everyone has said in this thread. When it was shortened recently due to the recent horse racing Grand National events that took place one week, it was far more enjoyable to watch.

And it was far less predictable than the 1 hour run times, where you can tell a deal is coming up from a mile away. I'm not saying no one should deal, but at least try not to make it so blatantly obvious like 2nd round dealer Josh. This, along with Noel's stupidly pointless cuts to a break in the middle of the question, totally destroys the tension that makes the whole thing become very anti-climatic and painfully predictable.

I, like everyone here, have watched it for years since 2006, but it's become so riddled with the following that many have already said:

Cliched - With sob stories, trying to be X-Factor and The Jeremy Kyle Show (I hate both shows) when it's clearly not.

One-dimensional - Stating the damn obvious as though we/the player haven't seen the show before. Poor advice which effectively steals someone's chances away when it's not even them playing (look at today's show). Annoying interruptions like The Banker constantly ringing back when the player has already stated several times they're ready for the question.

Brutally cruel environment from bullying and superficial padding by Noel - When he chucks someone out like yesterday, it's very distracting and not even remotely funny; the wings and the audience are sheep if they think stunts like that are funny to witness, someone getting humiliated. And he doesn't really help the player out by giving out fake offers (which is often followed by a cheap and artificially predictable deal because of him unsettling the player), drawing out the tension needlessly when it's already tense enough, such as when Nong played her game, and talking down to someone when they miss out on a big amount or crash down to a blue amount.

Having all the stuff listed above take place is not fun to watch and very grating, bar the very rare standout contestants such as Bronwyn, Isolda and such. Whatever happened to moral support?

Even my gran (who doesn't understand English at all but gets the idea of the game regardless, with some explanation from me) has grown to dislike the show now which is really saying something.
  • Options
    marianna01marianna01 Posts: 2,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AHYL88 wrote: »
    I totally agree, along with what everyone has said in this thread. When it was shortened recently due to the recent horse racing Grand National events that took place one week, it was far more enjoyable to watch.

And it was far less predictable than the 1 hour run times, where you can tell a deal is coming up from a mile away. I'm not saying no one should deal, but at least try not to make it so blatantly obvious like 2nd round dealer Josh. This, along with Noel's stupidly pointless cuts to a break in the middle of the question, totally destroys the tension that makes the whole thing become very anti-climatic and painfully predictable.

I, like everyone here, have watched it for years since 2006, but it's become so riddled with the following that many have already said:

Cliched - With sob stories, trying to be X-Factor and The Jeremy Kyle Show (I hate both shows) when it's clearly not.

One-dimensional - Stating the damn obvious as though we/the player haven't seen the show before. Poor advice which effectively steals someone's chances away when it's not even them playing (look at today's show). Annoying interruptions like The Banker constantly ringing back when the player has already stated several times they're ready for the question.

Brutally cruel environment from bullying and superficial padding by Noel - When he chucks someone out like yesterday, it's very distracting and not even remotely funny; the wings and the audience are sheep if they think stunts like that are funny to witness, someone getting humiliated. And he doesn't really help the player out by giving out fake offers (which is often followed by a cheap and artificially predictable deal because of him unsettling the player), drawing out the tension needlessly when it's already tense enough, such as when Nong played her game, and talking down to someone when they miss out on a big amount or crash down to a blue amount.

Having all the stuff listed above take place is not fun to watch and very grating, bar the very rare standout contestants such as Bronwyn, Isolda and such. Whatever happened to moral support?

Even my gran (who doesn't understand English at all but gets the idea of the game regardless, with some explanation from me) has grown to dislike the show now which is really saying something.

Welcome to the thread.

I so agree with what you have said and especially the BIB. Somehow, we long time fans carry on watching (and criticising)(although I did give up watching for a while). I think we all hope for things to get better but it must be down to the producer/editor/banker/Noel to take on board that viewer numbers are diminishing and maybe they should look at what is being talked about on C4 forums and here on DS.

Hope you will post here again and even choose a box number in the future.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Getting confused with threads here. AHYL88 - Go to the other thread to choose a box! :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    marianna01 wrote: »
    Welcome to the thread.

I so agree with what you have said and especially the BIB. Somehow, we long time fans carry on watching (and criticising)(although I did give up watching for a while). I think we all hope for things to get better but it must be down to the producer/editor/banker/Noel to take on board that viewer numbers are diminishing and maybe they should look at what is being talked about on C4 forums and here on DS.

Hope you will post here again and even choose a box number in the future.

I guess for many of us now, it's become a very guilty pleasure now unfortunately! Hmm very true; sometimes, just the simplest moves and decisions can make a massive difference to get the ratings back up though.

Sorry, I'm a bit confused myself! Choose a box? Which thread is that please? :)
  • Options
    wolvesdavidwolvesdavid Posts: 10,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    marianna01 wrote: »

but it must be down to the producer/editor/banker/Noel to take on board that viewer numbers are diminishing

Are they? As a matter of interest what exactly are the viewing figures for Deal or no Deal nowadays?
  • Options
    SRWSRW Posts: 1,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That coward today who dealt 6k and had the 250k deserved all the bullying possible from Noel and more!!
  • Options
    di60di60 Posts: 5,432
    Forum Member
    I also hate how Noel tries and builds up suspense like this...

Noel: 'This isn't a laughing matter now, it's a one box game' (usually isn't)
    Ten seconds later....
    Noel: 'Put your hands on the side of the box'
    Ten seconds later....
    Noel: 'Pull the seal. This cannot be the news we don't want to hear'
    Twenty seconds later
    Guy opening the box: 'Good luck'
    Noel: 'He'll open the box. After the break'

It drives me mad!

It drives me bloody mad too, it reminds me of Tarrant on Millionaire..... it's boring!!

Have I mentioned how much I fricking hate it when the contestants bring a present for Noel or the Banker? WHY?? It's pathetic and @rse crawling :mad:

Tia's game reminded me how much I bloody hate it when Noel doesn't ask if they want the swap when £250k is still in play at the end WHY? did he know it was in the box on the table and wanted to make sure he could make a big deal about how it was the cheapest the banker had bought it for??

Mmm wonder how many times 250k has been in the original box the player had chosen at random and not in the box still in the wings.... it is ludicrous that he doesn't "play on with honesty" at the end of these games

I seriously wonder how independent this adjudicator is ???

Sorry to rant, but I just do not know how some of these contestants get through the application process.... that application form is a bloody mission...... half of these contestants cant speak English very well [that is genuinely not meant to offend] so how they can fill out pages of application form is a bit of a mystery...
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are they? As a matter of interest what exactly are the viewing figures for Deal or no Deal nowadays?

Apparently from a peak of 3,000,000 down to a current 500,000.

There is NO excuse for bullying anyone by the way, and no one "deserves" it, especially on a game show!

I'm struck that this thread has had 2 brand new members of DS write up good posts this past couple of days. That is interesting in itself. Just wondering if either felt compelled to join so they could vent their own annoyance at DOND, therefore we have tapped into a more widespread dis-satisfaction than even us fans were aware of?

I'm not sure how much we should be blaming Noel in truth. He's the presenter, the face out front, so he takes the fire, but I'd say this is more likely "The Glenn Hugill Show" in reality. He's the banker, we all know that by now. An actor turned TV producer of this show. He likely calls all the shots and Noel simply has to do as directed in the end. How much of a personal input Noel has into the direction of this show is anyone's guess. I'd say not as much as might be imagined. Much of the blame should be felt elsewhere. All those annoying throws to the break halfway through the question aren't Noel's personal decision, they are the producer/directors. Like much else.

At the moment I cannot see how they imagine they will gain new viewers to DOND as it is, and will struggle to keep many fans and longtime viewers as well. Give the show back to the "purists" as they're called, and it will become instantly more bearable again.

And Noel, please do not ever compare yourself to Jeremy Kyle. You are a thousand times the man he will ever be in TV terms. Even the banker is ten times that man!

di60, yes you're right, yet again today the final box swap with the quarter in play was not offered even though it is automatic if left. Not a murmur. Why not? Regardless of whether she would have swapped or not, it is supposed to be offered. The last 3 times it has not been. Baffles me in a game about "playing on with honesty" as is mentioned frequently. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ha Ha dozy totty takes £6k and loses £250,000, I laughed louder than the banker.
  • Options
    TrevorFowlerTrevorFowler Posts: 170
    Forum Member
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    At the moment I cannot see how they imagine they will gain new viewers to DOND as it is, and will struggle to keep many fans and longtime viewers as well. Give the show back to the "purists" as they're called, and it will become instantly more bearable again.
    I think the "purists" have long since moved on and I doubt very much that their numbers will comprise any significant proportion of the missing 2,500,000. I don't think the show can ever revert to the layout it had seven years ago. The "geeky" following it had has gone and I don't think the likes of "sequencegate" would have been discovered with the current viewership.

It would be interesting to know how much influence Noel has on the proceedings and what he does off his own bat. I can't imagine that he has been given a brief to humiliate the young white male contestants to assert that he is in charge (and to impress the women). I don't understand your allusions to Noel being homophobic in the context of the male/male 1p kiss. At worst it is only Noel exploiting the awkwardness and embarrassment many males would feel in kissing another male (which is not homophobic on the part of the men concerned either). I suspect the real reason such an issue is made of it is to waste time and to provide more raw footage for the programme editors to work with.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 228
    Forum Member
    I Still think Noel is a superb presenter. He has great skill in his craft and to have done so many shows yet still remain enthusiastic and compassionate is quite impressive.

It seems that the things that annoy so many might not do if the show wasn't on quite so much. Maybe 2 or 3 times a week would inject a little life back into it.

It will all come down to money though, if the shows making it then it stays, if they lose sponsorship or the audience decline is so great that they can't get the ad break revenue then it'll go or be replaced with something else.

I dipped in a couple of weeks ago and enjoyed it having not seen a show for quite a long time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I Still think Noel is a superb presenter. He has great skill in his craft and to have done so many shows yet still remain enthusiastic and compassionate is quite impressive.

It seems that the things that annoy so many might not do if the show wasn't on quite so much. Maybe 2 or 3 times a week would inject a little life back into it.

It will all come down to money though, if the shows making it then it stays, if they lose sponsorship or the audience decline is so great that they can't get the ad break revenue then it'll go or be replaced with something else.

I dipped in a couple of weeks ago and enjoyed it having not seen a show for quite a long time.

Your first point I absolutely agree on. He makes any TV show he does look effortless, and that is a great quality, and always has been. This is not a bash Noel thread in any way at all, even if it seems so at times.

Mentioning sponsorship, I've suddenly realised that the PG Tips product placement on the mugs has vanished! That was an odd one, how they electronically placed the logo onto the mugs after the games had been done.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One thing is how did the 1p kiss start in the first place. I rewatched the very first episode on youtube a while back, and it wasn't there then. Its something that gradually developed, often its meaningless in the overall context of the game though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One thing is how did the 1p kiss start in the first place. I rewatched the very first episode on youtube a while back, and it wasn't there then. Its something that gradually developed, often its meaningless in the overall context of the game though.

Just taking a moment away from BBC4 and Stevie Winwood .....

I'm not sure exactly when the staged 1p kiss started but having watched an eposide from 2007 the other morning on Challenge, it was not a feature then and there wasn't much in the way of any hugging and kissing. The blue chant was there though! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They don't do the blue chant as much now though. With regards to the blue chant is there any stats on how often a red is shown after the blue chant. It seemed at one stage that chanting blue blue blue was almost guaranteed to show a red, (yes I know its a random game!)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They don't do the blue chant as much now though. With regards to the blue chant is there any stats on how often a red is shown after the blue chant. It seemed at one stage that chanting blue blue blue was almost guaranteed to show a red, (yes I know its a random game!)

I am really surprised that nobody in all the years on DOND has picked Noel up over his "Murray Walkerisms", that is to say something about the events in front of you and they immediately go pear shaped. It has happened a lot lately, and today too.

If only more players in the wings could have the throwback line that the audience pilgrim did today that earned her £50.

Noel - "Let's ask this old lady here shall we"

Pilgrim - "I was born in the same year as you Noel"

Beautifully put. The year in question being 1948. Neither mentioned that though! :p
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Noel Edmonds has been turned into a bullying control freak by this show and has made him show his true colours. Apparently off screen he is not a nice man.
  • Options
    WhiteShadeWhiteShade Posts: 388
    Forum Member
    They simply wheel out Noel from his hibernation chamber for a couple of months, film a block worth of episodes then lock him back up. Mr Blobby keeps guard and is under strict instructions by Channel 4 not to let him get away or else they'll deflate or replace him with Bobby Davro.

*True Story*
  • Options
    SuddenEliteSuddenElite Posts: 193
    Forum Member
    Glenn A wrote: »
    Noel Edmonds has been turned into a bullying control freak by this show and has made him show his true colours. Apparently off screen he is not a nice man.

I know this is far from a scientific analysis of Noel Edmond's personality, but I was once sat next to him at a corporate awards ceremony in Manchester having never met him before (or since). He was a thoroughly engaging, chatty and open bloke who's company I enjoyed despite us being strangers prior to the event.

He was squiffy by the end of it though, having made the most of the complementary red wine!

Nice man I thought.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know this is far from a scientific analysis of Noel Edmond's personality, but I was once sat next to him at a corporate awards ceremony in Manchester having never met him before (or since). He was a thoroughly engaging, chatty and open bloke who's company I enjoyed despite us being strangers prior to the event.

He was squiffy by the end of it though, having made the most of the complementary red wine!

Nice man I thought.

Obviously you caught him on a good day, but I know from two people he can be the opposite. A lady at work went to see him open a local Co Op and the kids at the front were told by him to " get these common people away from me" and my friend who ran the hospital radio station met him as a teenager and Edmonds told him to go forth and multiply. Also when he worked at Radio One, he and Paul Burnett formed an alliance together and drew up a list of DJs they wanted sacked which was found in the studio.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    Obviously you caught him on a good day, but I know from two people he can be the opposite. A lady at work went to see him open a local Co Op and the kids at the front were told by him to " get these common people away from me" and my friend who ran the hospital radio station met him as a teenager and Edmonds told him to go forth and multiply. Also when he worked at Radio One, he and Paul Burnett formed an alliance together and drew up a list of DJs they wanted sacked which was found in the studio.

But then aren't yours and the other positive post the epitome of how he comes across on DOND at times. A mass of contradictions! Sometimes utterly delightful, and other times quite the opposite, beyond what I'd call "panto" behaviour. On balance I'm sure he's okay overall. We can all have a bad day or two.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The week on Deal Or No Deal began with the first male winner of the £250,000 but has ended with the pulling of an episode from air for unknown reasons on Friday afternoon. :confused:

Time to resurrect the "decline" thread again.

The over promoting of Paddy's game beforehand was also somewhat desperate, as any fan worked out the result beforehand because of what had been said on various media.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There has been a few incidents now of that type when a game has not being shown, or a player has gone home without playing their game.

Do they have to sign a contract or something saying they will encourage the player, and also saying how wonderful they are etc.

Even my best friends don't talk to me like that in real life. I wish they would, and mean it!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the only way to save it for the fans would be to run it for six months of the year and have a break. I know DOND still has its followers, but the overkill with shows, silly themed weeks and sob stories have to go.