Options

Doubt Raised over JSA for Religious Reasons, advice needed

FCUKFCUK Posts: 1,258
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Ok So I finished a temp job I had once I got back from holiday and have been signing on for 2weeks. I'm a on programme with Intraining. Here's the situation:

Ok so I attended a interview a role that went through Intraining and the employer was very happy with me and apparently sang my praises. I was told at the start that this job may include weekends but you can be on a shift that runs from Mon-Fri which is perfect for me cause weekends I cannot work cause of family commitments and plus I am a Roman Catholic so working Sunday's is out of the question for me. When the interview finished I told a guy at Intraining to see if he could raise the issue I had with working the weekends but he told me he wouldn't as to not put the guy off straight away so it was left to me to explain when the guy contacted me with a 'potential offer'. I went on to explain how weekends are difficult for me as I have family commitments, plus although I drive I don't have my car at weekends as brother uses it for work and so on. The guy explained to me that it would be awkward to work around for not only me but himself also and so the job offer was not made.

Now intraining have contacted me asking when I start as they were led to believe that I would get an offer and I told them the situation that an offer was not made once these issues were raised. They have taken this to believe I turn it down cause I don't wanna work weekends and have now got to raise a doubt with the jobcentre. Because from there side there was potential employment but I didn't take it for reason stated above and cause it was never on my notes I couldn't work Sunday...so at the time I was available Mon-Sun.

My mistake was not informing Jobcentre of the issues working weekends and because of that intraining have said I am available all days and times, but if this was stated on my file then they wouldn't be offering me work that includes weekends. Now I have to contact the jobcentre to add the fact I cannot work sundays onto my file and so my file with intraining will be updated. Still, a doubt has to be raised. Where do I stand?

What happens once a doubt is raised, do payments stop? Will anything even happen cause intraining said that even though a doubt is raised nothing may come of it. Cause they will put in their doubt the reason I couldn't work mainly being the issue with Sunday. I still stand by the fact an offer for employment was not made, he didn't offer me a role and then I told him the issue. I explained the issue and that was it...no offer.

Please help me, whats your advice?

Comments

• Options
    euphieeuphie Posts: 2,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why can't you work Sundays for 'religious reasons'. If it's because you're a churchgoer, can you not go to a different service at a different time of the week?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm Italian and I am Roman Catholic....we don't work Sunday's, it's basically against our religion to work Sunday's. Don't judge me on that please :(

Any advice on how to handle this please or what could happen in regards to the doubt?
  • Options
    manickangaroomanickangaroo Posts: 1,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Strange as Catholic priests work Sundays.:confused:
  • Options
    codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What if a religion did not allow followers to toil in exchange for money - where would that leave the JSA?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes...but I am ROMAN CATHOLIC, there is slight difference. Priest's do not work!!!! That's why my Italian church is packed on a Sunday because they don't work that day as we Italians believe it to be God's day.

Stop judging me, I just asked for advice.
  • Options
    euphieeuphie Posts: 2,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FCUK wrote: »
    I'm Italian and I am Roman Catholic....we don't work Sunday's, it's basically against our religion to work Sunday's. Don't judge me on that please :(

Any advice on how to handle this please or what could happen in regards to the doubt?

I'm not judging, I'm just wondering, as any catholics I know if they can't make mass on a Sunday, then they go to a service during the week or a Saturday evening service.
  • Options
    DinkyDooDinkyDoo Posts: 3,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't see them stopping your JSA payments as you didnt turn the job down, the employer retracted their offer of work.

DWP would be on very dodgy ground if they took JSA off someone who didnt work a sunday for religious reasons. Although they might ask for some kind of proof that you are a Roman Catholic.

euphie wrote: »
    I'm not judging, I'm just wondering, as any catholics I know if they can't make mass on a Sunday, then they go to a service during the week or a Saturday evening service.

There is a Catholic guy where I work, and he does not work sundays, and its accepted by the company I work for.
  • Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    If this thread isn't a wind up you need to sort your life out. There are lots of Italian RCs who work on Sundays and you may not have noticed that you are in the UK now and expecting to live on benefits because you ca,t be botched to work on a Sunday. Maybe harsh, but benefits are for people who need them, not for people who don't want to work.
  • Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    What are the family commitments and can they be changed? Working on a Sunday is done by most people these days, I think that sometimes we do need to bend to fit in with a modern world.
  • Options
    kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does it apply all day Sunday? Are there services in the evening, if it's a day job, for instance?

When we've been to Italy, we've come across plenty of people working on Sundays so I think there must be work-arounds.

As much as companies should try and accommodate beliefs, shouldn't the person themselves also try and be flexible?
  • Options
    CABINETCABINET Posts: 1,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have holidayed many times in Italy and have had no problem shopping in supermarkets, eating out in restaurants, paying road tolls, buying fuel etc etc.

It is a catholic country and I find it very hard to believe that all the people who have served us (let alone police, hospital workers etc etc) are not catholic so I don't think it can be a very heavily enforced "rule".
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rather strange that you mention because you are Roman Catholic you don't work Sundays, and family commitments, then you go on to say that you brother has the car at weekends anyway.

I think your religion does allow flexibility in this matter, as many Roman Catholics do work on a Sunday. Don't most Serie A matches take place on a Sunday? (or are there no Italian Roman Catholic footballers) do Roman Catholic firemen not work Sundays, along with Doctors, Police etc...?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    euphie wrote: »

Sorry was directed at other replies.

Yes we have a mass during the week and if that was the only issue...then I would have been working already but cause many traditional roman Catholics feel working Sunday is against my religion
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DinkyDoo wrote: »
    I can't see them stopping your JSA payments as you didnt turn the job down, the employer retracted their offer of work.

DWP would be on very dodgy ground if they took JSA off someone who didnt work a sunday for religious reasons. Although they might ask for some kind of proof that you are a Roman Catholic.

There is a Catholic guy where I work, and he does not work sundays, and its accepted by the company I work for.

Thank you for understanding my point.

As said before, not many people today follow this belief but even though it's old fashioned and out dated...it's still a belief and no one can forced you to work on a Sunday.

Yes the offer was retracted, it was in fact never made to me once this issue I had was raised. That's the main issue here in regards to Sunday's. Saturday's I can work around that's fine even though I don't have my car....that's just an added difficulty. Most places when they want you at weekends means the Sunday and when I can't do Sunday, they shut down cause the Sunday will also include the Saturday.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can the JC really sanction you on the grounds for religious beliefs?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you for understanding my point.

As said before, not many people today follow this belief but even though it's old fashioned and out dated...it's still a belief and no one can forced you to work on a Sunday.

Yes the offer was retracted, it was in fact never made to me once this issue I had was raised. That's the main issue here in regards to Sunday's. Saturday's I can work around that's fine even though I don't have my car....that's just an added difficulty. Most places when they want you at weekends means the Sunday and when I can't do Sunday, they shut down cause the Sunday will also include the Saturday.

there are many other Christian Denominational groups that believe they shouldn't work on a Sunday some of them even call Sunday their Sabbath (holy-day) this is where we get our word holiday from, for many years I missed loads of job opportunities because they expected me to work on Sunday and as a Christian I was unhappy to work Sunday's. I landed up in a career that means I effectively work 24/7/365 per annum so I can't let it bother me any more. but I do understand, Jews often avoid Sabbath Day working too and I am sure Muslims have rules about this as well.
    If I were you I would make sure this information is 'logged' to your name. so that this 'misunderstanding' doesn't crop-up again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^

Yes, I will be adding this to me file tomorrow. I know many people will decide to work the Sunday and that's great for them, but I really cannot go against what I belief. I have been very lucky that my roles have always been mon-fri and this is what I look for and there is loads out there, just that the employer always finds someone that little bit better.

I have never turned down a role cause of this, this is the first time it has happened.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    striing wrote: »
    As I said previously, it falls under the Equality Act. The legislation is not straight forward and you would need advice on the specific case.

When I signed on (briefly years ago) we were allowed to choose hours/days anyway (eg I opted not to seeks work on night shifts for no other reason than I didn't fancy it). Why didn't you just opt for Monday to Saturday?

On my agreement it states 6am til 11pm Mon-Fri. The Sat and Sun is blanked out, meaning I told them I couldn't work during the weekends, mainly it being the Sunday. I can add the Saturday on, but the Sunday is still a no. But apparently on file there is no restrictions.
  • Options
    JayPee86JayPee86 Posts: 3,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^

Yes, I will be adding this to me file tomorrow. I know many people will decide to work the Sunday and that's great for them, but I really cannot go against what I belief. I have been very lucky that my roles have always been mon-fri and this is what I look for and there is loads out there, just that the employer always finds someone that little bit better.

I have never turned down a role cause of this, this is the first time it has happened.

One can only presume you follow all the other aspects of the religion then ..
  • Options
    kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On my agreement it states 6am til 11pm Mon-Fri. The Sat and Sun is blanked out, meaning I told them I couldn't work during the weekends, mainly it being the Sunday. I can add the Saturday on, but the Sunday is still a no. But apparently on file there is no restrictions.
    That sounds flexible enough, I'd say, then.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Once I started driving I updated the times I could work, before it was 9-5.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    striing wrote: »
    Fine well don't get sidetracked/overcomplicate things with the religion issue. Just say they need to amend the file to show your correct availability.

Ermmm I perfectly willing to work Saturdays....sunday is the biggest issue for cause of religious reasons, bloody understand that please.
  • Options
    maxsimaxsi Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are Italian restaurants closed on Sundays? This is seriously extreme.
    Christians go to church for an hour yet can work the rest of the day surely you can too??
    Do all Jews take Fridays off?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its not a distraction its the truth.
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is where Italy went wrong.

I remember on Top Gear the production team and presenters got in trouble for something like 'working on a Sunday without a permit' [when they were filming in Italy].

I wonder if the OP's beliefs would extend to the police, fire service, the paramedics, doctors, highways agency, shops, priests..?