Options

There, Their & They're

Comments

• Options
    coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    KMKYWAP wrote: »
    What's a bully congratulations?

It's what Jim Bowen used to give you on Bullseye!

Edit: Rats! Beaten to it! :D
  • Options
    Luner13Luner13 Posts: 2,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Definition of clique.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Luner13 wrote: »
    Does it annoy anybody else when people online can't use each word in its correct context? pisses me off so much.

It doesn't bother me much. As long as I can read people's posts and know what they mean, this is all that matters.
  • Options
    KMKYWAPKMKYWAP Posts: 1,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Definition of clique.

Definition of stupid.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Definition of clique.

Definition of bull in a china shop.
  • Options
    *animasana**animasana* Posts: 1,712
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Definition of clique.

Nah. Can't say I've noticed any of that old nonsense going on around here.

Btw, I keep reading your user name as 'Lunar'.....:p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does it annoy anybody else when people online can't use each word in its correct context? pisses me off so much.
    no u :p
  • Options
    NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NX-74205 wrote: »
    It's when Jim Bowen shakes your hand after handing you your Bendy Bully.
    It's what Jim Bowen used to give you on Bullseye!

Edit: Rats! Beaten to it! :D

Great minds and all that. :D:D:D
  • Options
    flowerpowaflowerpowa Posts: 24,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Meilie wrote: »
    Their, their. It's not the end of the world.

There, there, it could be the end of their world.;)
  • Options
    MallyminxMallyminx Posts: 278
    Forum Member
    There/their/they're and your/you're ....very irritating and fair sets my teeth on edge....especially when it's on a printed sign!

I once saw a big professionally printed overhead sign in a local garden centre. It said: Smile your on our secret camera.
    Pass the smelling salts! When I pointed it out to a staff member, she had no idea what was wrong! Hmmm...it was first designed, then presumably checked by management, then printed,inserted into the glass holder, put up by maintenance people, final check by management...and NO ONE could see it was wrongly spelled!
    Says a lot about our education system.
  • Options
    3Sheets2TheWind3Sheets2TheWind Posts: 3,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mallyminx wrote: »
    There/their/they're and your/you're ....very irritating and fair sets my teeth on edge....especially when it's on a printed sign!

I once saw a big professionally printed overhead sign in a local garden centre. It said: Smile your on our secret camera.
    Pass the smelling salts! When I pointed it out to a staff member, she had no idea what was wrong! Hmmm...it was first designed, then presumably checked by management, then printed,inserted into the glass holder, put up by maintenance people, final check by management...and NO ONE could see it was wrongly spelled!
    Says a lot about our education system.

Yes, that annoys me too.

On here, I can let it go unless I'm feeling in the mood for some pointless bitching, but on a sign which, as you say, has been proofed and checked really does make my hackles rise.
  • Options
    Dr. ClawDr. Claw Posts: 7,375
    Forum Member
    What are your thoughts on people who don't use capital letters when they should?

but that doesnt matter, many people don't actually know the difference or meaning of those 3 words
  • Options
    flowerpowaflowerpowa Posts: 24,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dr. Claw wrote: »
    but that doesnt matter, many people don't actually know the difference or meaning of those 3 words

Now that is sad.
  • Options
    3Sheets2TheWind3Sheets2TheWind Posts: 3,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having just seen girl's rather than girls in a thread title, I thought I would mention it here rather than on the thread itself.

That's better :)
  • Options
    LushnessLushness Posts: 38,169
    Forum Member
    It's not such a big deal to me on here, as long as I can understand what's being said. It does irritate me when I see these errors within applications and such.
  • Options
    ClunkClunk Posts: 3,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The 'complain about spelling and grammar, but mess it up in your own comment' internet meme, is one of the few that make me smile every time !!

As others have intimated - on a forum, as long as I can get the gist of what is being said, whilst it may mentally jar as I read it, it doesn't matter.

Then again, as also mentioned - in formal 'publications' - it really annoys me.
  • Options
    NightSurferNightSurfer Posts: 1,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It annoys me too. I mostly hate it when they use there for they're or their. So annoying!
  • Options
    christina83christina83 Posts: 11,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It annoys me tremendously, especially on Facebook when I see the same culprits getting them wrong every time. ARGHHH!!! If it's just a one off simple mistake I don't mind, but when it's continuous I do get slightly annoyed.
  • Options
    trphiltrphil Posts: 2,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oooh but it's so confusing. When I wrote my book I deciced just to use "there" everywhere so I didn't have to think about it...
  • Options
    PencilBreathPencilBreath Posts: 3,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You have all the traits of a bully congratulations.

you have all the traits of a pbu.
  • Options
    Default_UserDefault_User Posts: 4,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the thread title sounds like something you say to a three year old who's knocked their head on a cupboard door
  • Options
    MustabusterMustabuster Posts: 5,975
    Forum Member
    Whilst you're all having a pop at the OP by bringing up grammar and spelling and being anal about the OPs own posts, typos and punctuation errors can be committed by anyone typing or writing in a rush. What the OP is alluding to is the misuse of similar words which points more towards literacy incompetence.
  • Options
    RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,072
    Forum Member
    Whilst you're all having a pop at the OP by bringing up grammar and spelling and being anal about the OPs own posts, typos and punctuation errors can be committed by anyone typing or writing in a rush. What the OP is alluding to is the misuse of similar words which points more towards literacy incompetence.

Writing in a rush? On every one of their posts?
    Nope.
    As said if you're going to moan about stuff like spelling and using the wrong word etc then you really need to make sure your posts doing so are correct in themselves. Otherwise you end up looking dafter than those using 'there' for 'their'.
  • Options
    Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You have all the traits of a bully congratulations.

According to your profile, you're a 36 year old man. Stop whingeing like a 12 year old. And just for future reference, if you want to criticise other folks' spelling and punctuation, it's a good idea to make sure your own is up to scratch.
  • Options
    Alan1981Alan1981 Posts: 5,416
    Forum Member
    Funk You wrote: »
    It don't bother me, in my opinion the English language is a complete joke! we don't spell words how they sound and there is too many different variations of one word too. I don't care if people spell things wrong it doesn't bother me.

Yet so many of our friends from Poland and Latvia seem to have the various idiosyncrasies of our written language down to a tee.