Options

SKY GO compatable android tablet

DiandalScotlandDiandalScotland Posts: 2,101
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Looking to get an android tablet no more than £200.
10" would be nice but a 7" would be fine but has to be able to work Sky Go.
Anyone know what choices I have?

Comments

• Options
    JulesandSandJulesandSand Posts: 6,012
    Forum Member
    I believe there was(is?) a problem with Sky Go and 10" android tablets but that may have been fixed now. I have a Nexus 7 mk 2 and it works fine on that.
  • Options
    poppasmurfpoppasmurf Posts: 1,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, there's still a problem with Sky Go.

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 and Sky Go freezes after about 20 seconds or so, especially on the Sports Channels. It makes watching virtually impossible.

From what I've read on the Sky Forums, this is very common and Sky have done nothing about it.
  • Options
    ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    poppasmurf wrote: »
    No, there's still a problem with Sky Go.

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 and Sky Go freezes after about 20 seconds or so, especially on the Sports Channels. It makes watching virtually impossible.

From what I've read on the Sky Forums, this is very common and Sky have done nothing about it.

Yes, I had the same problem on my Asus TF300t (10 inch) tablet. Not sure if the problem still exists, as I linked my laptop back to Sky Go.
  • Options
    DiandalScotlandDiandalScotland Posts: 2,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok, so looks like an Asus Nexus 7" mk2. Thank you. See if i can pick one up now.
  • Options
    JulesandSandJulesandSand Posts: 6,012
    Forum Member
    You won't regret buying the Nexus, just make sure you get the latest model as I think some retailers are still selling the much inferior Mk1.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you want to watch Sky, TV Catchup, video, etc, the Nook HD 9" takes some beating - it has a 1080p screen and I can confirm it works with Sky Go.

http://www.very.co.uk/nook-hd-16gb-9-inch-tablet-slate-black/1216529124.prd?_requestid=250986

I've had 10" and 7 " tablets, and find the 9" ideal for viewing video.

I've got a 7" Nexus - 2, but don't us it much as the Nook is far better for watching on-line TV.

The Nook also runs Flash with no problems, and takes SD cards.
  • Options
    ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member
    Sky Go works fine on my nexus 10" tablet. If you root your tablet, then it will stop working.
  • Options
    swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    As above my 9" nook works fine with sky go and these can be picked up cheaply with a little looking
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swordman wrote: »
    As above my 9" nook works fine with sky go and these can be picked up cheaply with a little looking

129.00 on the link I posted, with the option to add 3 yrs warranty cover for 30.00 that includes accidental damage.

So for 159.00, a 9" 1080p android tablet with a 3 warranty.

I've yet to see a deal that comes anywhere near that.
  • Options
    cp2cp2 Posts: 957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ACU wrote: »
    Sky Go works fine on my nexus 10" tablet. If you root your tablet, then it will stop working.

It seems to be slightly worse than that. A relative of mine bought a Pipo from China. He didn't root it but Sky Go didn't work on it. It appears that it not only checks whether your tablet has been rooted but also the presence of certain apps that are often available on rooted devices.
    Of course, if you source a tablet from, say, China, you will not know what apps will be pre-loaded or how cautious the Sky Go app will be when checking whether to install on your tablet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cp2 wrote: »
    It seems to be slightly worse than that. A relative of mine bought a Pipo from China. He didn't root it but Sky Go didn't work on it. It appears that it not only checks whether your tablet has been rooted but also the presence of certain apps that are often available on rooted devices.
    Of course, if you source a tablet from, say, China, you will not know what apps will be pre-loaded or how cautious the Sky Go app will be when checking whether to install on your tablet.

Sky Go only works on a selection of tablets determined by Sky - mainly the popular brands.
  • Options
    speedy gonzalezspeedy gonzalez Posts: 89
    Forum Member
    I have a feeling i've put it on my 7 inch Nook HD. Will check when I get home.
  • Options
    Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Peter_CJ wrote: »
    Sky Go only works on a selection of tablets determined by Sky - mainly the popular brands.

Didn't they release a generic tablet app in December last year which is supposed to work with most Android tablets? I think the only ones it won't work with is the kindle fire and one of the Asus transformer models.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't they release a generic tablet app in December last year which is supposed to work with most Android tablets? I think the only ones it won't work with is the kindle fire and one of the Asus transformer models.

Not heard of that, but I see Sky have added: "other tablets running Android 4 and above" to the list on their site.

I was talking to a Sky tech-rep about a year ago, and he said they were just given a short-list of compatible tablets, and no explanation of why others are excluded.
  • Options
    speedy gonzalezspeedy gonzalez Posts: 89
    Forum Member
    Now home and checked my 7 inch Nook hd and it seems to be fine.
  • Options
    Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Funny old app this one. Works fine on my nexus, is patchy on my xperia Z1 and won't run on the kindle fire.
  • Options
    swillsswills Posts: 4,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Peter_CJ wrote: »
    Not heard of that, but I see Sky have added: "other tablets running Android 4 and above" to the list on their site.

I was talking to a Sky tech-rep about a year ago, and he said they were just given a short-list of compatible tablets, and no explanation of why others are excluded.

Someone said to me it was because there are so many permutations of Android about, even if you had say 4.1 each Company seems to put their own stamp on it, thus I assume it will take ages for Sky to get around to all of them to make sure they work properly ? The Iphone/pad is just one IOS system so a lot easier ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swills wrote: »
    Someone said to me it was because there are so many permutations of Android about, even if you had say 4.1 each Company seems to put their own stamp on it, thus I assume it will take ages for Sky to get around to all of them to make sure they work properly ? The Iphone/pad is just one IOS system so a lot easier ?

I've had two tablets running 4.1, and Sky Go wouldn't work.

It works on my 9" Nook HD which has 4.0 on it, although the last time I looked, the Nook wasn't on Sky's approved list.

I would have thought it in Sky's best interests to make sure it runs on as many tablets as possible. The Sky tech-rep I spoke to said the same - and then he said: "but we just do what we're told", which is fair enough.

I think the only way to be sure is to give it a go.