Options

Incursion - STARZ scifi War Series - What Happened?

Inky BinkyInky Binky Posts: 2,261
Forum Member
✭✭✭
In 2012 STARZ announced that they were developing this show. Then... nothing happened. Just recently in January I read an article that this show is still "alive" but was put on the back burner because of BLACK SAILS. Then STARZ announced their new show OUTLANDER - which will be airing shortly.

So what is the current situation with INCURSION? Having a big, epic science fiction show on a major premium cable channel excites the bongos out of me! But news about it is very hard to come by. Does anyone here have any recent news concerning this show?

PLOT:
"Incursion" follows a squad of soldiers fighting a war against an alien race, and each season the show would be set on a different planet. "Grittily realistic combat, darkly complex characters and intrigue on a cosmic scale will permeate the tale of fighting men and women facing the pressures of war and an enemy unlike any ever seen"; that's how Starz described "Incursion" in a press release.

EDIT: MODS, I mistakenly posted this in the wrong forum. Can you please move it to the "CULT, SCIFI & FANTASY" section? Thank you. :)

Comments

• Options
    MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    I may have read the same thing you. Starz decided now is not the time to do it, so it is on the shelf. Maybe it will be done in a few years, or maybe never.

However, there is apparently some interest on Showtime's part in doing a Halo TV series, in conjunction with XBox.
  • Options
    Inky BinkyInky Binky Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MoreTears wrote: »
    I may have read the same thing you. Starz decided now is not the time to do it, so it is on the shelf. Maybe it will be done in a few years, or maybe never.

However, there is apparently some interest on Showtime's part in doing a Halo TV series, in conjunction with XBox.

I actually posted a thread about that not too long ago. I wasn't too excited about it when MS was producing the show on its own solely for their console. But now that SHOWTIME is involved, I'm thinking HALO now has an excellent shot at being done right - possibly with a better budget.

As for INCURSION, I really hope they don't abandon it. Over the years there have been plenty of excellent science fiction TV shows, but I can't name too many epic science fiction shows that's exclusively about fighting an intergalactic war. Many were about exploratopm which was mixed with an occasional conflict.

Space: Above & Beyond and Babylon 5 were terrific shows. So to have something similar made for a premium cable channel where the sky's the limit when it comes to what you can say and show onscreen... well, it's scifi geek's dream. :)
  • Options
    claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DeKnight is still trying to get it off the ground (he brought them massive successful with Spartacus so they're keen to support him). The issue is purely cost - it'd be an incredibly expensive show to make so development is on hiatus until they can figure out how to afford it.
  • Options
    Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
    Forum Member
    Bit late to the show here, but this has some serious potential if they can get it off the ground.

Edit: Apologies for the bump, didn't notice the last post was 2014. Just saw 12th May.
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Purely based on the description, it sounds crap. But then so does Black Sails and Outlander, until you watch them.

STARZ have about six shows announced for development and this isn't one of them. Their main priorities are Evil Vs Dead and now American Gods. Likely been put on the backburner.