Options

"At the Mountains of Madness" - Guillermo Del Toro & James Cameron Collaborate

Inky BinkyInky Binky Posts: 2,261
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Director Guillermo Del Toro (Mimic, Hellboy 1 & 2, Blade 2, Pan's Labyrinth) has wanted to make this film for years. I knew it was going to happen eventually but having James Cameron (Aliens, Avatar) onboard to produce the film was a huge surprise. The film will be in 3-D and they start filming next summer: LINK

For those who never heard of it: The film is an adaptation of the H.P. Lovecraft novel, which features a chilling recollection of an Antarctic expedition's uncanny discoveries and their encounter with untold menace in the ruins of a lost civilization.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 147
    Forum Member
    Ohhh, this should be goood!

I'm not the biggest Lovecraft fan, but there's so much potential for a great movie to be made from this story, especially with those two involved!

Mind you, the creatures could either end up looking really creepy ... or just goofy. I wonder if they'll keep the mutant penguins?
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,878
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    At PG-13?

Don't bother. Let the tweenies watch their own crap.
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    At PG-13?

No way they'd ever make a big budget hard R or 18 movie of this; WB tried with Watchmen and it was considered a disappointment in money making terms.
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    At PG-13?

The story is hardly full of violence and gore, Lovecraft is mostly psychological horror, it could easily be done as a PG-13.
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nobody has really done Lovecraft right on-screen. If anyone can it`s Del Toro. If I was a billionaire I`d have given him the money to make it by now - I want to see his Lovecraft so badly I can taste it.

I would HIGHLY recommend the Radio4 Extra version of ATMOM, superbly read by Richard Coyle. On YouTube no doubt. For anyone doubting that Del Toro can pull it off, listen to this and remember it`s radio and it went out at tea-time and it`s bloody chilling!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    JCR wrote: »
    No way they'd ever make a big budget hard R or 18 movie of this; WB tried with Watchmen and it was considered a disappointment in money making terms.

Disappointment? It made a loss, before you factor marketing and all the lawsuits in, however they were able to squeeze a lot from home video...

Big budget hard R films don't really work, the last two I can think of that made money were Wanted (loosely based on the Mark Millar comic) and The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (adapted from the Steig Larson novel). Dredd is a film everybody seems to like (I appear to be one of the only people that has any reservations on it.), but they still won't make a sequel because it made a big loss...

And given Pacific Rim's recent scrape, will anybody actually be willing to give him a tonne of money for a "cult" book adaptation?
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,274
    Forum Member
    Oh FFS please just make Hellboy 3!