Options

Heat Magazine...

Comments

• Options
    GlassBalloonGlassBalloon Posts: 2,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to buy Heat, Star and New every week, but I found that they all told the same story, but I liked Heat the best so I stuck with that and dumped the other two. That was three years ago, and the only mag I buy now is still Heat. Mainly because I can't be done with looking for another celeb mag. I've gotten Closer and More free with Heat a few times and didn't like them. Heat does me nicely. Granted, I'm not a massive fan of it's newest makeover but it provides me with enough celeb goss to keep me satisfied :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 187
    Forum Member
    I used to buy Heat, Star and New every week, but I found that they all told the same story, but I liked Heat the best so I stuck with that and dumped the other two. That was three years ago, and the only mag I buy now is still Heat. Mainly because I can't be done with looking for another celeb mag. I've gotten Closer and More free with Heat a few times and didn't like them. Heat does me nicely. Granted, I'm not a massive fan of it's newest makeover but it provides me with enough celeb goss to keep me satisfied :)

It's not "celeb goss" though, it's made up tripe conjured up by PR people to cover up more juicy stories or to create gossip for boring celebs. Personally, I don't waste my money on these embarrassingly terribly written stories, I read all the celeb gossip in the BI thread on DS! :D
  • Options
    parthyparthy Posts: 5,408
    Forum Member
    DeeLush, for well-written celeb gossip, might I recommend DListed? It mostly features American celebs but also has UK ones. It's very filthy, be warned! ;)
  • Options
    DeeLushDeeLush Posts: 2,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    parthy wrote: »
    DeeLush, for well-written celeb gossip, might I recommend DListed? It mostly features American celebs but also has UK ones. It's very filthy, be warned! ;)

OO sounds like my kind of magazine :)
  • Options
    BadRomanceBadRomance Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member
    I used to love Heat as well but cant stand it now. I agree with all the OP's points. They are just waaaaay to obsessed with Chavvy Cole for my liking. Last month I said I would buy it again, give it a second chance. It had umpteen pages on Chavvy's malaria, yet didnt even mention that Dannii had just given birth, which should have been in that issue, given Ethan was born the week before! It also seems to have a lot of American "stars" that I have never even heard of before.
  • Options
    funcifunci Posts: 782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I bought the first copy, must be 10 years ago now. I was really impressed at the high standard of writing and the edginess of the articles. I loved the quirkiness of the photo shoots, the sarcasm of the soap previews and the insight to a (then unknown) world of celebrity.

Then along came the internet to a wider market and Heat started to struggle. They needed to produce a magazine that was full of the news already readily available online, but make it appeal to the mass market so came up with the 'ingenious' idea to turn it into a women's fashion mag cum National Enquirer as well. Massive mistake.

Someone touched on it earlier when they said that Heat was trying to be too many things as once. I think that Heat should stop dumbing down and get back to basics.

There are people, myself included in that, who would willingly buy a magazine that focuses on real issues, British based celebrities, film and tv reviews and music.

I'm fed up of seeing stories about people who are famous for doing nothing, when magazines should be full of actors, TV presenters and musicians who actually work for a living.
  • Options
    BadRomanceBadRomance Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member
    funci wrote: »
    When I bought the first copy, must be 10 years ago now. I was really impressed at the high standard of writing and the edginess of the articles. I loved the quirkiness of the photo shoots, the sarcasm of the soap previews and the insight to a (then unknown) world of celebrity.

Then along came the internet to a wider market and Heat started to struggle. They needed to produce a magazine that was full of the news already readily available online, but make it appeal to the mass market so came up with the 'ingenious' idea to turn it into a women's fashion mag cum National Enquirer as well. Massive mistake.

Someone touched on it earlier when they said that Heat was trying to be too many things as once. I think that Heat should stop dumbing down and get back to basics.

There are people, myself included in that, who would willingly buy a magazine that focuses on real issues, British based celebrities, film and tv reviews and music.

I'm fed up of seeing stories about people who are famous for doing nothing, when magazines should be full of actors, TV presenters and musicians who actually work for a living.

If this was Facebook, I'd like your post!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,262
    Forum Member
    I like More magazine out of all the weekly magazines. It has the weekly Alan Carr interview, the 10 weekly beauty tips, great fashion and make up tips, and, best of all, men overheard :D

The only time I read Heat is if a friend has it. It's okay I suppose as it will have a good interview, but that Lucie Cave annoys me beyond belief. She seems to think she is some sort of mini celbrity or something. Very delusional.

They do seem anti size zero though, I suppose that's one good thing about them.
  • Options
    funcifunci Posts: 782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BadRomance wrote: »
    If this was Facebook, I'd like your post!!

Ha! Thank you, high praise indeed!:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    DeeLush wrote: »
    OO sounds like my kind of magazine :)

Well, it's a website!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wow i'd forgotten all about that!

Was that the 'Harveys gonna eat me!' sticker? I was shocked when I bought that issue. OK! is just as bad, bringing out Jades memorial issue before she had died, just to make sure they had the exclusive.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    MJ_lives wrote: »
    I like More magazine out of all the weekly magazines.

Gawd, I used to LOVE that magazine when I was 17 or 18, it was full of informative sex tips for a young virgin interested in being deflowered. :o:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Gawd, I used to LOVE that magazine when I was 17 or 18, it was full of informative sex tips for a young virgin interested in being deflowered. :o:D

Well, it must have changed since then. It has position of the week, but apart from that...

Tbh I like magazines to see what fashions are current and in at the moment, so then I know to avoid them. I do like a witty celebrity interview too :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    MJ_lives wrote: »
    Well, it must have changed since then. It has position of the week, but apart from that...

Tbh I like magazines to see what fashions are current and in at the moment, so then I know to avoid them. I do like a witty celebrity interview too :D

This was 2001/2002 and it was FULL of sex, not just 'position of the week'!

So you don't do fashion trends then?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    This was 2001/2002 and it was FULL of sex, not just 'position of the week'!

So you don't do fashion trends then?

Nah, I've always preferred to be a bit different and stand out from the crowd with what I wear. I'm no Lady Gaga though!
  • Options
    VoodooChicVoodooChic Posts: 9,868
    Forum Member
    Like many others, I gave up reading it about 3 years ago....absolute waste of everyone's energy - readers and heatstaff alike
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to read Heat up until 2006-07 and enjoyed it at the time though I knew it was trashy. It was a guilty pleasure.

Now? I buy it every now and then but it's rubbish. It takes me five mins to flick through the whole thing and there is nothing I want to read.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jerrica09 wrote: »
    Was that the 'Harveys gonna eat me!' sticker? I was shocked when I bought that issue. OK! is just as bad, bringing out Jades memorial issue before she had died, just to make sure they had the exclusive.

Agreed, havent even looked at OK since then.

To be honest I don't need much motivation not to buy gossip mags these days- they are mostly full of shit!
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I read it once back in 2002, its absolute rubbish. I've seen it in a couple of waiting rooms though and flicked through it when bored. Great for reading in the toilet maybe but that's about all :p
  • Options
    shoesgirlshoesgirl Posts: 179
    Forum Member
    I used to love it but haven't bought it since soon after Mark Frith left.

It used to have lots of tongue in cheek humour and the interviews were quirky and funny back in the day. Now it's full of so called celebs I've never heard of - and I always used to think I kept up with things.
    I also don't like the way one week someone is the best dressed and the next week the same person in the same outfit is "What were they thinking" same with the "Celebrate curves" one week then "Too fat" the next. Far too much contradiction.

It used to resemble a grown up "Smash Hits" from when SH had a sense of humour and was in it's heyday. Now it's a collection of brief articles, recycled interviews and lots of papped pics of nobodies. I can't see it surviving much longer unless they have a major overhaul.
  • Options
    Maysie07Maysie07 Posts: 123
    Forum Member
    I don't know if anyone has recently notised but it has had big changes over the last 6 weeks - sine it has come under a new Editor.

For some reason it now feels it should include fashion when magazines like Look are far superior. What really annoys me though is how iw was once very sarcastic and dry is now just plain nasty and critical of anyone/clebrities who don't bow down to them.

TBH Look and Now are far superior. HEAT is dying a slow death.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    funci wrote: »

It was me (the OP) who said about it being too many things too too many people and dumbed down...

I want my old HEAT back, something witty, unbiased and not sucking up to people like cheryl cole.. i remember them doing an interview with GA about 3 yrs after they got together and every single member being bitchy and rude and HEAT moaning about them being stroppy little madams, forward 5 yrs or so and theyre kissing the arses of the people they used to poke fun at.

HEAT for me has lost its Mojo
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maysie07 wrote: »
    I don't know if anyone has recently notised but it has had big changes over the last 6 weeks - sine it has come under a new Editor.

For some reason it now feels it should include fashion when magazines like Look are far superior. What really annoys me though is how iw was once very sarcastic and dry is now just plain nasty and critical of anyone/clebrities who don't bow down to them.

TBH Look and Now are far superior. HEAT is dying a slow death.

I hate how TEENY its become :( ruined it for me.
  • Options
    S4BUKS4BUK Posts: 81
    Forum Member
    I buy Heat religiously and have done since the first issue and I have no idea why. As a male I absolutely hate the fact that half of ithas turned into 'Style/Fashion'. I do love the (main) interviews though.
  • Options
    teenagemartyrteenagemartyr Posts: 6,782
    Forum Member
    HEAT for me has lost its Mojo

Just like Chezza's hair! :D:p