Options

Loaded TV

mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
Forum Member
✭✭
http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2012/apr/29/loaded-magazine-men-baxendale-walker

There are very good synergies between Loaded, the brand and assets and the multimedia companies that I already own," Baxendale-Walker said in a telephone interview in which he introduced himself as Paul Chaplin, the pseudonym he occasionally uses, including for a short-lived TV chat show he hosted. "Loaded is a lifestyle magazine. I guess I live the Loaded lifestyle. Girls, cars, money, helicopters and fun, fun, fun. Although I don't have a particular football team I follow."

He hopes to launch a mainstream Loaded TV channel, which he says will be "like 1970s ITV on a Saturday night". A second, overtly adult channel, Loaded Babes TV, is also envisaged.

Baxendale-Walker believes he can make a better go of a magazine spinoff channel than forerunners such as Nuts TV, which was launched by the former Loaded owner IPC Media in 2007 and was taken off-air after two years. Programming for Loaded TV will include a comedy sketch show in the vein of Benny Hill or Kenny Everett.

Hmmm a colourful character (as I think one is supposed to say about such poeple!), wonder if he has any finance to back this up or is he just drumming up some publicity for his other enterprises?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 533
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good luck getting and retaining a broadcasting licence for Sky or Freeview given the compeition and good luck with the channel given the "success" of Men & Motors.

The list of 70s material that could not be broadcast today includes Benny Hill, Hale & Pace and OTT.
  • Options
    mersey70mersey70 Posts: 5,049
    Forum Member
    Sandytop wrote: »
    Good luck getting and retaining a broadcasting licence for Sky or Freeview given the compeition and good luck with the channel given the "success" of Men & Motors.

The list of 70s material that could not be broadcast today includes Benny Hill, Hale & Pace and OTT.

Benny Hill was on ITV3 this Easter.

I don't think Hale & Pace and OTT were 70's shows were they?
  • Options
    foxlafoxla Posts: 1,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought Benny Hill had quite frequent 'outings' on ITV3?
  • Options
    mersey70mersey70 Posts: 5,049
    Forum Member
    foxla wrote: »

From what I have seen they just seem to show a 'best of' edition (it actually looks like a film), it was the same one they always trawl out on holidays.

Mostly clips of the very early Thames episodes, much tamer than the later shows!
  • Options
    Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Remember Nuts TV? Nuff said!
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member

How come it can't be broadcast today?
  • Options
    The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,085
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Remember Nuts TV? Nuff said!

I'm going to stick my neck out and potentially face ridicule, but I liked Nuts TV - or at least I liked the channel towards the end of its run on Freeview when it mostly consisted of pre-recorded sports programmes.

With content like the once of Channel 4 European goals round-up Goalissimo, coverage of PDC darts (both in terms of live tournaments from the USA and South Africa and archived footage), boxing from around the world including a chat show with Ricky Hatton and "Football Hurts", a weekly documentary programme on AFC Wimbledon when they were still in the non-leagues; it was shaping up to be quite a decent budget sports channel that appealed to me before the plug was pulled on it. Sure, it was quite a departure from the overly "laddish" channel with nightly live studio content that it started out as, but I felt it was starting to work out who its audience was and could have eventually proved to be a decent free-to-air sports channel, something that many on here say they would like to see on Freeview.

Going by that Guardian article I don't believe they will do this (at least not initially), but if Loaded TV wanted to go down this route and provide a platform for the kind of cheap and cheerful sports programmes mentioned above that Nuts TV did, I'd hope they could find a niche and have some measure of success.
  • Options
    Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Going by that Guardian article I don't believe they will do this (at least not initially), but if Loaded TV wanted to go down this route and provide a platform for the kind of cheap and cheerful sports programmes mentioned above that Nuts TV did, I'd hope they could find a niche and have some measure of success.

Seeing the the new owner also runs 'babe chat' channel Bluebird TV as well as an adult film stable, it'll make the laddish Nuts TV format seem mainstream in comparison.

The only 'sport' I can see ending up on this channel will involve premium rate chatline models and mud.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not my cup of tea but if as some posters suggest there's demand for more risque content, why not as long as it's not a main channel and people who could be offended don't tune in by mistake?

There's another thread banging on about how the House of Commons Media Select Committee is a democracy, well TV viewing is a market democracy, the public should be free to choose.

Besides despite there being hundreds on channels most TV is safe, safe, safe. A shakeup is overdue.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember Nuts TV. It almost made me commit self immulation. It will end up in a Phonication channel with women who cry inside as a creepy bloke wanks over them on the phone.

EDIT: Just read the article. I am aware of this man. That man is one of the creepiest men I have ever seen in my life.
  • Options
    sparkie70sparkie70 Posts: 3,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm going to stick my neck out and potentially face ridicule, but I liked Nuts TV - or at least I liked the channel towards the end of its run on Freeview when it mostly consisted of pre-recorded sports programmes.

With content like the once of Channel 4 European goals round-up Goalissimo, coverage of PDC darts (both in terms of live tournaments from the USA and South Africa and archived footage), boxing from around the world including a chat show with Ricky Hatton and "Football Hurts", a weekly documentary programme on AFC Wimbledon when they were still in the non-leagues; it was shaping up to be quite a decent budget sports channel that appealed to me before the plug was pulled on it. Sure, it was quite a departure from the overly "laddish" channel with nightly live studio content that it started out as, but I felt it was starting to work out who its audience was and could have eventually proved to be a decent free-to-air sports channel, something that many on here say they would like to see on Freeview.

It's a shame Nuts tv went like you said it was getting better & more focused. I won't go as far to say a fta sports channel but a channel that has sport as its main focus would do well especially darts, boxing & football.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    He's probably just gonna rename his babe channel "loaded" and maybe set up the other as a repeats, ala men and motors
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    foxla wrote: »

The tame stuff might be repeated, but I can't imagine any channel making a new primetime show featuring a dozen women in saucy underwear chasing a fat middle-aged man around. Health and safety would says there was too high a risk of inducing coronaries in fat middle-aged men.

One Hill's Angel's sketch featured the dancers in a gym rolling head over heels towards the camera so they ended up in open legged (clothed) poses. It would be pushing it to even repeat that.
  • Options
    mrblankmrblank Posts: 5,687
    Forum Member

wasnt it a bit extreme for the time the shows went out for example that programme in a club where chavs freaquntly showed to the watching world their jugs?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mrblank wrote: »
    wasnt it a bit extreme for the time the shows went out for example that programme in a club where chavs freaquntly showed to the watching world their jugs?

Do you mean OTT? I don't know what time it went out but always thought it was 11pm, pub closing time. If it was a timing issue couldn't that have been dealth with?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Fairness wrote: »
    Do you mean OTT? I don't know what time it went out but always thought it was 11pm, pub closing time. If it was a timing issue couldn't that have been dealth with?
    no i ment a show on men and motors
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    no i ment a show on men and motors

Know the one you mean but can't remember the name. It was garbage but that's beside the point. Wasn't it another sexumentary that would have you believe willing women are all over the place? It featured drunk women in night clubs pulling their tops down, upskirt shots, women snogging and women on a podium competing to be outrageous. Until recently it used to resurface from time to time on Living or a similar channel.

It's the sort of show that requires a well known channel brand name (or magazine) or a night club tie in with featured event management. Would the format work today?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mersey70 wrote: »
    From what I have seen they just seem to show a 'best of' edition (it actually looks like a film), it was the same one they always trawl out on holidays.

Mostly clips of the very early Thames episodes, much tamer than the later shows!

they were clips from his thames shows from 1969-73 and althought they were tv clips the complation was made for cinima
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Fairness wrote: »
    Know the one you mean but can't remember the name. It was garbage but that's beside the point. Wasn't it another sexumentary that would have you believe willing women are all over the place? It featured drunk women in night clubs pulling their tops down, upskirt shots, women snogging and women on a podium competing to be outrageous. Until recently it used to resurface from time to time on Living or a similar channel.

It's the sort of show that requires a well known channel brand name (or magazine) or a night club tie in with featured event management. Would the format work today?
    i saw it once and wasn shocked i just shook my head in sorrow that tv had been reduced to this
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i saw it once and wasn shocked i just shook my head in sorrow that tv had been reduced to this

I dunno about reduced to ...I can recall 'nightclub' programmes similar to the described in the early 90s ...but equally back them it would have been (like Eurotrash) a reasonable source of free to air erotica. These days; less so.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dapa wrote: »
    I dunno about reduced to ...I can recall 'nightclub' programmes similar to the described in the early 90s ...but equally back them it would have been (like Eurotrash) a reasonable source of free to air erotica. These days; less so.

I expect Caxton would hold his head and cry too if he saw what the printed press had been reduced to. The top selling items in newsagents and supermarkets are not erudite tomes on the inner working of the universe but vacuous glossly mags about the latest celeb diet and TV listings mags with features on the soaps. Despite that decent content survives. I can tolerate this kind of garbage as long as it's understood it's no more than a small fraction of broadcasting for them that wants it.

As for Embarrasing Bodies, Benidorm, Jeremy Kyle, or anything with Claudia Winkleman or Keith Lemon, that's another story.

And did Joan of Arc die defending democracy just so we could have a choice between Bojo and NewtBoy? (My history may be a bit rusty there).
  • Options
    linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When does it start then?
  • Options
    unknown17unknown17 Posts: 3,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When does it start then?

26th November I think.

www.loaded.tv
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DRUNK SKUNK CHART SHOW
    THE LOADED GIRLS GET DRUNK AS SKUNKS AND REVIEW THE LATEST MUSIC VIDS. YOU MIGHT NOT AGREE WITH THEIR OPINIONS. BUT YOU'LL LOVE THE WAY THEY SAY IT!

LOADED CHIC LIT
    THE BRAND NEW CHAT SHOW FOR BOOK-LOVING GIRLS THAT GETS UNDER THE COVERS TO EXPLORE YOUR BOOK FETISH. WE'LL REVIEW EVERYTHING FROM CHICK LIT TO FANTASY WITH OUR PANEL OF PUNDITS AND INTERVIEW THE BEST AUTHORS FROM THE LITERARY WORLD.

MARSHALL'S LAW
    MEET COMMUNITY POLICE SUPPORT OFFICER MARSHALL AND STEP INTO THE MAD MAD LIFE OF BRITAIN'S MOST DILIGENT HOBBY BOBBY.

LOOSER WOMEN
    THE SEXIEST GLAMOUR MODELS AND BABECHANNEL STARS TALK FRANKLY ABOUT LOVE, LIFE AND THE UNPRINTABLE.

It's all a bit resemblant of l!ve TV. It also appears Paul Chaplin will be presenting a quiz-like show himself? Looks like he's having a punt with some spare change, promoting his other properties and giving himself something to do that's more creative than his usual existence.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks utter shite. I give it 6 months tops.