Introducing dog to cat

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 487
Forum Member
I have a 4-year old cat. I am shortly to take over looking after my Mum's 11-year old spaniel. Due to Mum's ill health, it looks as though she will be going into long term care and will be unable to look after him.

Can anyone give me any ideas how I introduce the dog to the cat?

I know to begin with the dog will probably chase the cat everywhere but I would like them to live in harmony - at least for some of the time.

Thanks.

Comments

• JFCJFC Posts: 569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a 4-year old cat. I am shortly to take over looking after my Mum's 11-year old spaniel. Due to Mum's ill health, it looks as though she will be going into long term care and will be unable to look after him.

Can anyone give me any ideas how I introduce the dog to the cat?

I know to begin with the dog will probably chase the cat everywhere but I would like them to live in harmony - at least for some of the time.

Thanks.

OK the very first thing you need to do is give the cat some space where it can get away from the dog. I bedroom or utility room with one of those child gates with a towel or sheet over it will do. Otherwise you cat is likely to do a bunk.

What sort of temperament has cat got?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 487
    Forum Member
    The cat is very friendly towards people he knows but is quite timid towards strangers. He also doesn't like loud noises.

Unfortunately, when the dog gets excited he can bark.

My main problem is that both the dog and the cat are very affectionate towards me.
  • JFCJFC Posts: 569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The cat is very friendly towards people he knows but is quite timid towards strangers. He also doesn't like loud noises.

Unfortunately, when the dog gets excited he can bark.

My main problem is that both the dog and the cat are very affectionate towards me.

OK well there is no guessing about how they are going to get on but maybe give the cat the run of the house for a few days with the dog in another part so the cat can hear it but not see it. Leave the dogs blanket in the cats area so he gets used to the smell of the dog.

That way it will not be such a shock for the cat when he realises a big dopey mutt has invaded his territory.

Further down the line, I have always found that it does not take long for a cat to put a dog in it's place in th epecking order :-)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    Is the dog crate trained? Can y train her before you take her? I found my most successful cases were when the dog was in the crate and the cat could approach at thier pace.

Of not, make sure the dog and car have separate spaces, baby gates work well.
    Forum Member
    bazaar1 wrote: »
    Is the dog crate trained? Can y train her before you take her? I found my most successful cases were when the dog was in the crate and the cat could approach at thier pace.

Of not, make sure the dog and car have separate spaces, baby gates work well.

The dog has never been crate trained. He's 11 years old, so I feel he's a bit old to be trained now. The dog doesn't get up the stairs but the cat gets all over the house.

My brother has a cat and the dog never bothered about her at all but suddenly this week he has been chasing her all over the joint.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    It's not too old to crate train, in fact older dogs like crates and are often easier to work with, they like the safe zone. However some don't like crates so that's fine too.

I'd say at least get a baby gate for the stairs, even if the dog can't get up, the cat doesn't know that, the gate will be a barrier he can identify.
  • manickangaroomanickangaroo Posts: 1,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We had a 10 year-old dog and bought a kitten. For the first 24 hours the dog attacked the cat. After that the kitten turned on the dog each time and scratched him masking him yelp. Just guess who was boss from then onwards! Dog was often turfed out of his fave chair - by a kitten!!!! He put one paw on the poor old dog and he got out!!! The cat will soon put the dog in his place I bet.
  • BadcatBadcat Posts: 3,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whenever we got a new cat we would keep the cat basket in the front room right in the back corner and let it get used to the room for a day then bring the dog in and make happy talk whilst holding onto the dogs collar so they can see each other. We used to do that every hour and despite the odd nose swipe all the cats loved our dog. great big softie she was.
  • cardiffstecardiffste Posts: 152
    Forum Member
    The each to their own space is really important: i have a 13 year old cat and a 6 year old Ridgeback; The Ridgeback was only a puppy when we got her - smaller than the cat, so the cat trained the puppy!

Now they are both older, they have sorted out their own spaces and both have time with me on their own. They hardly ever share the same space with one another and the cat teases the dog like mad - suddenly making an appearance in front of the dog and meowing then running away to a higher place.

I have this notion that when i am not in the house, they play poker together, sun bathe together etc ... they have never hurt one another and chase play but wouldnt be seen together being 'loving'

Each having their own space to relax is really important and that takes time ... just remember, it is easier to manage the behaviour of a dog than a cat!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My maisey moo who was a dumped cat when she found us hated dogs 100%. Before she found us she attacked a blind toy poodle. I walk my neighbours dogs sometimes and she came across and attacked by swiping on the nose a chocolate lab I was try too walk. Then last year I got my max and she didn't bat a eyelid. She just looked at him and walked away looking for food. She was extactly the same with my Alfie too. She s the boss of the house with all the animals
    I would for there own safety till they get used too each other keep the dog on a lead in the same room as your cat. You can also too keep in separate rooms and possibly so the cat can escape if she feels threatend a safety gate too the doors. You campn get them with cat flaps in too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We had the lovely pleasure of Bonnie Cat come to our home and lives, She was an Old Lady almost 17 and her and the two Combat Corgis fixed things out between them.

I was at the start in the room all the time with The Bonnie Cat and The Combat Corgis.

I never done anything but the Corgis and THE CAT worked it out

Bonnie Cat was the first cat I've ever had to care for and I do still miss her

I'm not a cat person but I would have a "Bonnie Cat" in an instant.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 240
    Forum Member
    Ok i'm on here for advice for a neighbour, she's got a cat who's 10 years old and they've just brought a new puppy, but the cat doesn't like the puppy the puppy is cat trained but the cat hisses at the dog all the time, my neighbour did have a dog before and the cat and the dog got on really well and they use to sleep in the same bed, and the dog just died so she was asking me what to do the other day the cat is over at my house more now since they had the dog and she's not eating at there house, they have a gate at the kitchen door and there thinking of giving the dog away because the cat isn't getting on with the dog. Any advice?
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    i always suggest coffee for a blind date. that way you're not committed for the whole night.
  • bornfreebornfree Posts: 16,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As a child we always had a cat and a dog. I can only have a cat but hope to have both one day. My cat is almost 9 and I too was wondering if she would get on with a dog.
    Forum Member
    Well, it didn't quite go as planned. They met on Friday night in the living room. The dog was in there when my husband let the cat in. My husband didn't realise the dog was sitting next to me when he let the cat in. Immediately the dog started barking and getting very excited, which terrified the living daylights out of the cat. The heckles were up and I don't think I have ever seen such a "fluffy" cat. Anyway, I held on to the dog while my husband let the cat upstairs. Result, one deep scratch to my husband's hand and one completely traumatised cat. Yesterday was a bit better but the cat stayed outside all day.

Things were a bit better today. There was a stand-off until the dog started barking then there was the "fluffy" cat again.

I've decided to get a child safety gate so that the cat can get out if need be but the dog can't rush at the cat.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can get a gate with a cat flap in as well.
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't expect overnight results! Give the cat somewhere to escape to.

I've done it twice with two sets of pets and the same results!

The dog may bark and chase, the cat may run and hiss and this will go on for seemingly ages, then one day they will tolerate each other enough to be in the same room without the need to chase and run. In both cases for me, the animals ended up sleeping on the same mat together without batting an eyelid. One cat even trusted the dog enough to sleep on its back up against the dog! I have a photo of it somewhere:D