Options

Weight gain and Sertraline

SplotSplot Posts: 600
Forum Member
✭✭
Anyone else familiar with this. I'm always posting on the weight loss forum about my woes. I'm sure it's down to the Sertraline.

It's got to the point where I've decided just to come off it. It's not even that I'm not losing weight but I can barley stop it going up.

Comments

• Options
    stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is the reason I stopped Mirtazapine, an extra stone in a month. You could try Wellbutrin (Bupropion), it actually makes you lose weight and the side effects are well below the usual culprits the Doctors here force you to accept. Hard to get in the UK though, only through a psychiatrist apparently.

Antidepressants are about weighing up the benefits vs the side effects, still searching for a magic pill to make me content. :(
  • Options
    EmilyJEGEmilyJEG Posts: 539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My husband has put on a bit of weight and eats more than he used to, but he's been on it quite a while now and the weight gain did level out. He's certainly not "overweight" but he did used to be quite scrawny so it's probably not such a bad thing in his case. His mum likes to accuse me for doing it though as I'm quite fat lol - she thinks I'm feeding him up!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Weird thing is first time I was prescribed it I didn't have any weight gain. But this time round it's been pretty bad and I've been doing every I can to keep on top of it. In six months I reckon I've put on two stone.

Mirtazapine has to be the worst though. I could barley keep my eyes open on it but when I could I was shoving food in to my face with both hands.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,966
    Forum Member
    I've been on Mirtazapine for a long time and find some simple lifestyle adjustments have kept the weight off.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been on Mirtazapine for a long time and find some simple lifestyle adjustments have kept the weight off.

To be fair, I didn't give it much of a chance because I found the side affects too much. Maybe it would have got better.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You made the right decision Splot, well done for going with your intuition and feelings on this situation.

There is definitely a better drug out there for you.