Messi player of the tournament is an absolute joke

DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 109,641
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭
I assume it was some kind of contractual obligation that made some money for FIFA.

At least half a dozen players had better tournaments

Comments

• OsusanaOsusana Posts: 7,461
    Forum Member
    Totally agree, I think they made their mind up tonight as a consolation prize. There have been several better players in this World Cup
  • celesticelesti Posts: 25,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You know in the Brit Awards when they have best international male and only one nominee is actually there?
  • Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    Absolutely ridiculous award.
  • Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    Kroos was best outfield player for me. James Rodriguez best attacking player and Manuel Neuer best goalkeeper.

Messi had some great moments but wasn't as influential or involved in the games as I've seen him. I've seen him play games for Barcelona where he'd go on a dribble half the time he got the ball and would rip teams apart for an entire game. He played more in bits and pieces this time and looked a little short of his absolute prime fitness.
  • DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 109,641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    BBC pundits agree
  • david_kenndavid_kenn Posts: 539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flat Matt wrote: »
    Absolutely ridiculous award.

too late:p
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    they only gave it to him because FIFA wanted a south american winning something
    he only scored in the group stages, so where's his consistency eh?
  • TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    david_kenn wrote: »
    too late:p

Not "too late" to say it was a joke though.
  • DangerBrotherDangerBrother Posts: 1,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Messi should have got the award for most underwhelming player.

Don't get me wrong he did good, but not GREAT.

Rodriguez should have won this award, or a Germany.
  • Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Messi wasn't even Argentina's best player. Mascherano was.
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Xela M wrote: »

I agree. Mascherano from Argentina was a more realistic player to consider for player of the tournament.

There were a few who I'd consider real contenders. James Rodriguez being my personal favourite.

Messi wasn't bad, and showed flashes of inspiration here and there. He scored a decent amount of goals too. But for some matches he spent much of the time slowly walking around and not moving much.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why didn't Neymar get player of the tournament? He scored the same amount of goals as Messi and we now know that he carried an absolutely joke Brazil side to the semi-finals. I don't see why Messi had a better tournament than Neymar? Both are joke choices though.

Rodriguez, Mascherano, Robben, Vlaar, Kroos, Muller, Neuer would all be much more sensible choices.
  • TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Agreed.
  • DangerBrotherDangerBrother Posts: 1,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rooneys cross was good
  • rhynoGBrhynoGB Posts: 4,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rooneys cross was good

For that he deserves so much credit. He is my player of the World cup:D
  • I, CandyI, Candy Posts: 3,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It must have been a close run vote, with Leighton Baines having played in the tournament.
  • roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was a further punishment for him, did you see his face, & he had to shake hands with the neckless dwarf as well. (Merkel)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David Luiz has actually been the man of this tournament for me. No one else left such a lasting impression.
  • ShadoutShadout Posts: 1,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No calls for Lahm as player of the tournament? Holding midfielder or Full-back, I don't think I saw a performance from him that was less than an 8/10. I have to admit, I adore the man, he's been the best full back in the world for the past four or five years, but not received the recognition he deserves because he actually plays as a full-back rather than a winger (such as Alves, Marcelo, Alba etc).

The likes of Lahm and Zabaleta are never considered for the Ballon d'Or because they play in pretty much the most unglamorous position on the pitch - but both of them for me would be ahead of Messi for the 'Player of the Tournament' title.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shadout wrote: »
    No calls for Lahm as player of the tournament? Holding midfielder or Full-back, I don't think I saw a performance from him that was less than an 8/10. I have to admit, I adore the man, he's been the best full back in the world for the past four or five years, but not received the recognition he deserves because he actually plays as a full-back rather than a winger (such as Alves, Marcelo, Alba etc).

The likes of Lahm and Zabaleta are never considered for the Ballon d'Or because they play in pretty much the most unglamorous position on the pitch - but both of them for me would be ahead of Messi for the 'Player of the Tournament' title.

Lahm has always been Germany's best player. I have never seen him or Muller have a poor game. Kroos is another German who deserves a lot of credit for their victory.
  • Dave 101Dave 101 Posts: 815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Agree with you on this one.
  • MandarkMandark Posts: 47,930
    Forum Member
    DUNDEEBOY wrote: »
    I assume it was some kind of contractual obligation that made some money for FIFA.

At least half a dozen players had better tournaments
    I'm not usually one for conspiracies but you can't help but think that Nike and a few other Messi friendly sponsors like Qatar Airways pushed for this especially as he was in the final. Problem is that most of the other contenders would be unknown to the causal global viewer who was just tuning in for the final.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    Messi was a last minute decision change. Originally, it was going to be Almahdi Ali Mukhtar from the Qatari squad.
  • FrankieFixerFrankieFixer Posts: 11,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rodriguez couldn't even perform against the worst Brazilian side ever. Robben was the player of the tournament followed by about 3 Germans.
  • celesticelesti Posts: 25,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it right that Mascherano gave himself an anus injury making that ace tackle to block Robben? The man's a warrior.