Anyone remember when Sontarans were scary?

FiregazerFiregazer Posts: 5,888
Forum Member
How did we get from this

to this

I don't think Doctor Who could ever pull of a decent Sontaran episode again and take it seriously because of that muppet!

Comments

• Ash_735Ash_735 Posts: 8,493
    Forum Member
    Somewhere around the 80s with the Disco Sontarans.
  • Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They've never been scary.
  • clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joe_Zel wrote: »

They were scary when I was a kid ... but I was just a kid.
  • AdelaideGirlAdelaideGirl Posts: 3,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Umm the moment we realised their mortal enemies were giant glowing jellyfish?
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    Sontarans are scary. Strax is not. If anything, when the Sontarans do return, they will seem more of a threat by contrast.
  • Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sontarans are scary. Strax is not. If anything, when the Sontarans do return, they will seem more of a threat by contrast.

Yes.
    I used to like Strax - a good man goes to war etc - but he doesn't have any purpose with the lizard and her wife.
    IMO
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, The Name of the Doctor, when he reverted back to type. I was convinced!
  • Brass Drag0nBrass Drag0n Posts: 5,046
    Forum Member
    I posted this in another thread -

"I'd quite like a line from Strax where he admits that he is deliberately playing the fool, just to mess with people and to get them to lower their guard around him.

He is a medic and a clone of Sontar's greatest general, so he should be a shrewd operator - keeping him around just as a "comedy sidekick" is getting stale and boring."
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    k9fan wrote: »
    Yes.
    I used to like Strax - a good man goes to war etc - but he doesn't have any purpose with the lizard and her wife.
    IMO
    He does. Vastra is all business. Jenny asks questions. Somebody has to do the jokes.
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Strax is great.

I do remember being a bit scared at the Sontaran 'reveal' in Sontaran Experiment as a kid, but watching the programme later, I think there was a deliberate element of humour courtesy of Robert Holmes in their debut adventure, and that never really went away.
  • DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,931
    Forum Member

I've no problem with Strax being a comedy character, (I haven't been able to take them seriously since they started wearing powder blue anyway), but I was slightly irritated that the two Sontarans in The Time of the Doctor were also played for laughs.

I'd quite like to see a story with some invading Sontarans and Strax having to choose between the Paternoster Gang and the glorious Sontraran empire (although that might be a bit too heavy for a family show).
  • CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joe_Zel wrote: »

Pretty much this. Armoured potatoes with a devastating weakness in the back and no peripheral vision.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pretty much this. Armoured potatoes with a devastating weakness in the back and no peripheral vision.

Agree with m'Colleague here (and m'Colleague that m'Colleague quoted) they've never been scary to me.

I've always liked them, but never been scared of them.
  • JethrykJethryk Posts: 1,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agree with m'Colleague here (and m'Colleague that m'Colleague quoted) they've never been scary to me.

I've always liked them, but never been scared of them.

They were blessed with a stella performance from Kevin Lindsay in the first two stories but from Invasion of Time onwards they became a little bit silly.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jethryk wrote: »
    They were blessed with a stella performance from Kevin Lindsay in the first two stories but from Invasion of Time onwards they became a little bit silly.

They never scared me then either.
  • Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by k9fan
    Yes.
    IMO
    He does. Vastra is all business. Jenny asks questions. Somebody has to do the jokes.

Why would a Sontaran take orders from a Silurian?:confused: