Options

Worth re-taking Maths GCSE at 27?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 817
Forum Member
✭✭
Is it worthwhile retaking a maths GCSE when your 27? Is it still essential to get into uni. I was thinking of enrollingbfor September but not sure..

Comments

• Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It depends on the course you want to do, and even then, it would remain at the course leaders discretion when admitting mature students.

most uni courses have a module that deals with statistics, so a grasp of basic maths is important. However, not having passed your GSCE maths doesn't necessarily mean you can't work with numbers.

I'd speak to the leader of whatever course you want to do, first. Although, asking this question about a course you are 'thinking about' enrolling in within the next couple of weeks seems a bit late.
  • Options
    phepiaphepia Posts: 1,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went to adult education when I was 28 to retake my maths gcse.
    I started off with extra help and support lessons, and took the exam below gcse (nvq level 2 from memory)
    The next year I sat the gcse, but couldn't complete as I was forced to take employment at the end of the course, so never completed it sadly.
    If you are determined its never too late, there was about 20 in my first class all in same circumstance as me and about 15 in the gcse class, all let down by schools concentrating on the brainist to boost their stats.
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I re-took it when I was 27 as I wanted to do a PGCE and needed it to be a teacher. (I'd only done CSE at school and was rubbish at it). I thought about enrolling in a night class as it was offered by local colleges, but in the end got out a library book that took you through the entire course, and just taught myself at home for a few months. I got a 'B' and then could apply to get on the course I wanted. I had been useless at it at school but working at my own speed, actually trying to understand it for the first time (and sometimes deciding to just learn things by rote and not understand them at all), I passed with a decent grade.

So yes, well worth doing if it is a requirement. Check though - you may not need it. Ring up the Admissions dept of a place you're interested in and just ask. Also sometimes they waive entry requirements for mature students. They can't for things like teaching but other degrees, sometimes they do as your experience is valued.

I was surprised when I was 28 and finally got on my PGCE, to see that the majority of us were mature students.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    I got mine at 25, I did it in a year attending night classes - 3 Hours a week. I too needed it for a PGCE but also didn't want it to get the better of me. Besides, it's on a lot of job descriptions now too so it's always worth getting.
  • Options
    bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's worth taking even if you don't "need" it, that basic level of maths skills is useful to have.
  • Options
    claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It can also depend upon how competitive the course you're intending to apply for is. If they have a lot of applicants they may use this as a reason to reject you.

What A-Levels do you have? Do you have any other qualifications? The university may require you to do an access or foundation course.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you're able to do it, for no reason whatever reason, do it! Nothing wrong with a bit of self improvement, any time.
  • Options
    roger_50roger_50 Posts: 6,932
    Forum Member
    But how does it work regarding the actual time of the exam? From my understanding, adults often have a hard time finding a school/learning centre willing to offer them a spot at exam time.
  • Options
    bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    roger_50 wrote: »
    But how does it work regarding the actual time of the exam? From my understanding, adults often have a hard time finding a school/learning centre willing to offer them a spot at exam time.

I had no problem getting a further education college to let me sit my two maths A levels with them though I was doing Physics as a one day a week course with them so they knew I would pass. It was also 30 years ago so they may be different now.
  • Options
    radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you should spend your time trying to get a job.
  • Options
    gasheadgashead Posts: 13,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think you should spend your time trying to get a job.
    As long as it's not a job that requires maths GCSE, of course. I agree with you, having your own transport, place to live, savings, pension, holiday, partner are all over-rated. The minimum pay job world is your oyster!
  • Options
    SparklySwedeSparklySwede Posts: 1,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would think it was worth taking regardless of going to uni because it would help to refresh your maths skills which can be very useful in everyday life.

That aside, if you only want to take it to apply to uni, I would decide on what you'd like to do at uni and which uni you'd be interested in, then contact the course organiser at that university to see what their policies are on mature students without the gcse.
  • Options
    Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    I did some courses when I was 35 and that included Maths and English GCSE.
    So yes you can do it at any age. Plus as an adult you don't have all those teenage problems to get in the way. I really enjoyed it.
  • Options
    bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My wife has just retaken her's she got a grade D when she was 16. She has just done a free course to get a grade C and she passed, she is 34.
  • Options
    Compton_scatterCompton_scatter Posts: 2,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it's all about getting into university then I would take an access to HE course as these are designed to give students the necessary entry qualification for those that never did (or did them too long ago) A levels.