Options

Panasonic TV on wifi causes other problems with other wireless devices

Comments

• Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    Winston_1 wrote: »
    Do you use short wave radio in the 2 to 28MHz band?

Your neighbours might be (trying) to listen in these bands. There are plenty of legal broadcasters there which they have every right to listen to without harmful interference.

of course i don't.

nobody does. and if i wanted to i would just stream them over the internet. like everyone else would.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Why do you not accept established facts? As a ham you will have had to have known about aerials and propagation to get your licence.

As a user of the radio spectrum it is of interest to me to have as low a noise floor as possible. I should be able to listen without interference from selfish people who are too lazy to run CAT 5 cable.

i reject your assertion that anyone who doesn't cat5 their house is lazy.

if you want them to. then you pay for it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I which case there is microwave leakage which could be damaging yours or your families health. Better get it fixed or replaced.

nope. it's well within norms. no more dangerous than the wifi i have running24/7
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Your welcome to your opinion. Why should I pay for someone to be legal? CAT 5 cable is very cheap, cheaper than Homeplugs and doesn't use £12 worth of electricity a year like homeplugs. More important it does not create harmful, illegal interference.

Using home plugs is illegal? when did that happen?

cat 5 cabling is cheap. as is electrical cabling. but it still cost 7 grand to have my house rewired and made a right mess.
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,520
    Forum Member
    Why do you not accept established facts?

I do, it's you who seems unable to accept them (or at least understand them), with no examples you've posted supporting your exaggerated claims.

As a ham you will have had to have known about aerials and propagation to get your licence.

Which is one reason why I understand it, and you don't :D

As a user of the radio spectrum it is of interest to me to have as low a noise floor as possible. I should be able to listen without interference from selfish people who are too lazy to run CAT 5 cable.

So you consider yourself far more important than all other perfectly legal users of the same spectrum - pretty conceited of yourself?.
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    i put a ferrite core around the mains lead. which fixed it.
    Thanks for the tip. I could switch to it digital, but then it was 2 seconds out of sync with the one in the dining room.

Did the OP resolve their problem?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I which case there is microwave leakage which could be damaging yours or your families health. Better get it fixed or replaced.

Another example of knowing nothing about radio waves - microwave ovens almost NEVER leak (and I've tested hundreds of them over the years). The (perfectly legal) interference they generate isn't due to microwave leakage.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    flagpole wrote: »
    Using home plugs is illegal? when did that happen?

Only in Winston-World! :p
  • Options
    call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    Why do you not accept established facts? As a ham you will have had to have known about aerials and propagation to get your licence.

Rubber ducky 10-3 You have lost all credibility....I doubt you suffer any interference personally. You have refused to say what your interest is or what it is that you have that is being interfered with (electronically that is!!)
    You have also insulted at least 3 million people, who all seem to be at odds with your views....:rolleyes:
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The (perfectly legal) interference they generate isn't due to microwave leakage.
    What is the interference, as I noticed digital scales go crazy if too near the microwave?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    tealady wrote: »
    What is the interference, as I noticed digital scales go crazy if too near the microwave?

I can't say I really know?, there's certainly a substantial magnetic field from them, and also interference sent down the mains (they have filtering to reduce it to acceptable levels).

From repairing them over the years you notice they interfered with analogue TV sets, and even more so when operating without the top cover in place.

I've always presumed that it's due to the fairly crude oscillations taking place, nothing like a nice sine wave.

Incidentally, the prohibition of microwave ovens for people with pacemakers has long since been dropped (as far as I know).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Creating harmfull interference is illegal. That is what home plugs do when used as intended, and that is why Ofcom have removed several hundred from service.

Why did you not have CAT 5 cabling installed when you rewired your house then?

because my home plugs work great.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Creating harmfull interference is illegal.

No it's not (I suggest you look up what illegal means, and consider why you think it applies to interference?), and they don't - they mostly operate perfectly legally within the specifications allowed for them.

That is what home plugs do when used as intended, and that is why Ofcom have removed several hundred from service.

According to a post higher up they have removed NONE from service, and to be fair as everything you say is either untrue or wildly exaggerated it seems far more likely that they are correct.

Why did you not have CAT 5 cabling installed when you rewired your house then?

Considerable extra cost, and no real need for it for most people - there's only one person in the UK complaining about Homeplugs - and that's you :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Who are these other legal users? Homeplugs have not been allocated any spectrum by any administration in the world. They just steal everyone else's allocations.

They are approved for sale in the UK, and even frequently recommended by the BBC. So perfectly legal.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I know they are legal to sell. Where are they frequently recommended by the BBC? I've only seen it on the Freesat website though Freesat is partly owned by the BBC. The BBC whitepaper critises them.

Freesat is co-owned by the BBC - the white paper criticises them, but doesn't even say what you keep claiming.

I presume you've read this:

http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/enforcement/spectrum-enforcement/plt/

Which contradicts everything you've claimed about Homeplugs?.

Or this from OFCOM:
    What has Ofcom found?

On the evidence, Ofcom has not so far found that there is a breach of the EMC essential requirements. Ofcom has therefore decided against taking further enforcement action at this time. Ofcom is working together with Comtrend and BT to reduce any negative effects in individual cases and we support them in doing so.

It is recognised that EMC compliant equipment may still, in certain circumstances, have the capacity to cause interference to other radio communications equipment. This may happen due to the manner in which it is installed or operated.

Evaluating the complaints received and the evidence so far obtained, Ofcom has concluded that there does not at present appear to be significant public harm arising from this situation.
  • Options
    call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    Some homeplugs have been found to exceed their specifications by around 1000 times.

You are nit picking. Ofcom have arranged for several hundred pairs to be removed if they have not removed them themselves.

Many people have complained about home plugs, just look at some of the links that have been posted previously.
    Here is one in case you still don't believe it.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1320940&highlight=plt

There is very little cost in a cabled solution and no ongoing electricity cost.

Making things up doesn't help your case. OFCOM haven't even had several hundred complaints, let alone removed several hundred. In fact they have removed none.
    the new(ish) EU regs have given manufacturers and retailers 3 years to comply.
    Has everything come to a stop because millions (Yes Millions) of people are using PLA's? No, of course not......