Early benchmarks of 5S show it wipes floor with S4 and HTC One

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    The bit in bold describes you well :D

No... YOU.

You can't even open a .doc file from your mailbox or attach one to an email on an iPhone.

It's an awful OS.

The iPhone is purely a toy with VERY VERY limited real-world functionality.
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No... YOU.

You can't even open a .doc file from your mailbox or attach one to an email on an iPhone.

It's an awful OS.

And wrong again. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    psionic wrote: »
    And wrong again. :)

I'm not wrong I've had an iPhone 3GS, 4, 4S and a 5 before moving to Android.

PROVE to me you can attach a .doc file to an email.

That's right, you can't.
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    No... YOU.

It's an awful OS.

The only part i agree with is what you said on multi tasking. Other than that you're wrong.

And of course you can attach or open files on the mail app. What have you been smoking!?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    The only part i agree with is what you said on multi tasking. Other than that you're wrong.

And of course you can attach or open files on the mail app. What have you been smoking!?

No you cannot.

You can only attach pictures to emails in the mail app.

Any other documents, it's not possible.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not wrong I've had an iPhone 3GS, 4, 4S and a 5 before moving to Android.

PROVE to me you can attach a .doc file to an email.

That's right, you can't.

Wrong.

It's dead simple you open up your word processor, click share, choose email, then select the format you want be it pdf or word etc. Then Mail opens with the file ready attached and you just write your email and click send.
    Forum Member
    No you cannot.

You can only attach pictures to emails in the mail app.

Any other documents, it's not possible.

let me rephrase that.

via third party office apps or Apples notes app that allow you to send emails with the document open attached.

So yes, it's possible. But not via the Apple mail app.
    I agree. Something that needs to be added. But iOS isn't as crap as you make out. You can attach documents to an email just fine.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wrong.

It's dead simple you open up your word processor, click share, choose email, then select the format you want be it pdf or word etc. Then Mail open with the file ready attached and you just write your email and click send.

How am I wrong when you just said you have to go to the processing app to do it and you can't use the mail app?

:rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And HOW are you supposed to attach a document you haven't written yourself in a processing app to an email with the iPhone? Answer is you can't.

iOS is a VERY DUMB operating system that needs to get with the times.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How am I wrong when you just said you have to go to the processing app to do it and you can't use the mail app?

You said you couldn't open doc attachments. Which is wrong. And you said you cannot send them as attachments. Which is also wrong.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And HOW are you supposed to attach a document you haven't written yourself in a processing app to an email with the iPhone? Answer is you can't.

iOS is a VERY DUMB operating system that needs to get with the times.

Wrong again. You can attach any office document from iCloud. Apple's way of doing things is different sure. You don't need to have written the document yourself.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You said you couldn't open doc attachments. Which is wrong. And you said you cannot send them as attachments. Which is also wrong.

You cannot do these things natively out of the box.

There's no processing app with iPhone out of the box.

Your 'work arounds' are not valid arguments.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You cannot do these things natively out of the box.

There's no processing app with iPhone out of the box.

Your 'work arounds' are not valid arguments.

So get a free one? Just like on Android.

What's the point of having a smartphone if you don't want to load apps on it?

(edit: not confirmed it myself personally but Apple are apparently bundling free Apple versions of office apps on the newest iPhones - personally I'm an Office 365 subscriber and use Microsoft's own Office Mobile app)
  • zapodzapod Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scott, so much bitterness... Chill, man.

First, you are correct, from the iOS Mail client, you cannot simply attach a 'file', be it a .doc, .xls, .pdf to .jpg.

This would be because there is no file system in iOS - at least one that is exposed to the user.

In fairness, the Android Mail app (I'm on ICS) only allows photos and videos from the galleries to be selected as attachments, so no .doc attachments here either; again the file system is hidden for the most part.

Sure, there are file browser apps for Android which you won't get for iOS, but seeing as you're all for the 'out of the box' experience, Android file browsers are disallowed.

Oh and it's 'Word Processor'.
  • kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Could you tell me how I attach a file using the gmail app on android? I'd never tried before, but as you mentioned it, I've just given it a go and cannot work out how to do it.
  • enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zapod wrote: »
    Scott, so much bitterness... Chill, man.

First, you are correct, from the iOS Mail client, you cannot simply attach a 'file', be it a .doc, .xls, .pdf to .jpg.

This would be because there is no file system in iOS - at least one that is exposed to the user.

In fairness, the Android Mail app (I'm on ICS) only allows photos and videos from the galleries to be selected as attachments, so no .doc attachments here either; again the file system is hidden for the most part.

Sure, there are file browser apps for Android which you won't get for iOS, but seeing as you're all for the 'out of the box' experience, Android file browsers are disallowed.

Oh and it's 'Word Processor'.

In fairness it could be added in I imagine if they wanted it to be not really sure why it isn't on either OS as smartphones are intended to be used for that sort of thing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.imagebam.com/image/3ab7e6277573896

See screenshot of my stock mail app on my HTC One...

you can select any file you want to attach to an email.

You can not do this in iOS.

iOS is a very very dumb 'operating system' and you all deserve better than the rubbish Apple sells you.
  • pi r squaredpi r squared Posts: 4,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    See screenshot of my stock mail app on my HTC One...

you can select any file you want to attach to an email.

You can not do this in iOS.
    Nor in stock Android: it's an HTC tweak. In stock, you need a file browser (such as File Expert) before you are able to attach anything other than photos or videos.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My point still stands, my phone HTC One was mentioned in the thread title. Apparently this 5S wipes the floor with my phone. It really doesn't.

iPhone doesn't do anything that requires loads of ram or an impressive processor.

It can't even attach a document that isn't a picture or video to an email.

Or multi-task.

It's a dumb operating system.

I have no more to add.
    Forum Member
    My point still stands, my phone HTC One was mentioned in the thread title. Apparently this 5S wipes the floor with my phone. It really doesn't.

iPhone doesn't do anything that requires loads of ram or an impressive processor.

Or multi-task.

I have no more to add.

http://i481.photobucket.com/albums/rr180/jabbamk1/Untitled-1_zps7bdc64dc.jpg

Come on mate, iOS has it's drawbacks, as does Android. I'm not a fan of iOS myself but i don't go around saying shizzle about iOS when stock android doesn't even have the feature as well.

I think Android is a great operating system and far better than iOS. Especially when it comes to multitasking. But i understand the appeal of iOS and it's simplicity and full integration with all system apps.
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The answer is they are both good.

Android is powerful, more apps are free, it's a more open ecosystem, more opportunity to multitask, customise and do what you want with the device. Less interference from the makers about what you can and can't run, much more choice of launchers, setup, and so on. That comes at a price, sometimes operators bloat it, sometimes it is more prone to abuse and less controlled.

IOS - a really polished experience, where everything works, it has been well thought out, it works the way it works and you don't have much choice. Multitasking works, but it's not as powerful as in Android, less customisation options, more controlled and restricted, safer from a point of view that the apps are more well vetted. Simple, but less powerful but good for users that need it to be simpler...
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iOS is a very very dumb 'operating system'
    Operating systems have been dumb since the beginning of time.

Most of the stuff included are apps and I'd even refer to Siri being a utility app.
    And a new OS upgrade is always a tarted up (or down) version of the last one.

As to dumb, well it is a tarted up Ipod system and obviously is multi patched into a simulation of modernity.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A choice of phone is not something that needs to be defended. Certainly not something to be taken personally. However incorrect statements are inevitably going to be challenged.
    Like any smartphone it's essentially a computer and has an operating system. It's mainly down to the apps to make full use of the available resources. Video editing and re-encoding is just one example of an app that benefits from speedy processors. By the way, iOS devices have very low RAM comparatively.
    Well this one has been covered. The limitation is that you cannot directly attach a random document from the filing system when composing an email. However as iOS blocks access to the FS, the way to do it is to share whatever from whatever app and specify Mail as the destination.
    Or multi-task.
    User apps can happily run in the background now. Like Android the OS manages it and of course prioritises and sleeps processes as required (or battery life would be severely lessened). The legacy notification system is not multi-tasking but basically polling.
  • DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    The answer is they are both good.

Android is powerful, more apps are free, it's a more open ecosystem, more opportunity to multitask, customise and do what you want with the device. Less interference from the makers about what you can and can't run, much more choice of launchers, setup, and so on. That comes at a price, sometimes operators bloat it, sometimes it is more prone to abuse and less controlled.

IOS - a really polished experience, where everything works, it has been well thought out, it works the way it works and you don't have much choice. Multitasking works, but it's not as powerful as in Android, less customisation options, more controlled and restricted, safer from a point of view that the apps are more well vetted. Simple, but less powerful but good for users that need it to be simpler...

Wow! Well there's a balanced view which I think is what was needed. Are you saying I'm simple? :)

Bit of clarity... (not for you Thine)
    You CAN attach files from the iOS mail app but only pics and videos (tap and hold in the main text window to bring up a Copy, paste and attach pictues or video menu.
    I think this was introduced in iOS 6. (correct me someone).

Other than that, you can't simply attach from a file because iOS doesn't have a file store as such. All files are stored within other apps. I have never ever found this an issue.

I just went into Dropbox, tapped a Excel spreadsheet, tapped menu and then Email. Document attached! Job done.
    What's the issue??
  • zapodzapod Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Why then, on my Experia, have I got apps I can't get rid of? Why do I have more than one gallery type app? More than one video player app? More than one music app? The kicker is the - count ’em - seven, yes, seven apps for downloading apps. That would be the Sony updater, the Vodafone updater, the play store, a thing called appselect, Get Games, Get Apps, Downloads.

It's an insane, confusing, morass of Sony stuff, Vodafone stuff and Android stuff that hogs my app drawer and the measly built in Flash memory and refuses to be deleted without me rooting the device and installing Cyanogen.