Scottish independence: let's have an honest debate (P2)

Comments

• Black SheepBlack Sheep Posts: 15,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    anndra_w wrote: »
    Because devolution has allowed us to protect the welfare state to a degree while the England has had to suffer privatisation and the introduction of fee's etc. So when you say there is no sign that anything would be different devolution demonstrates how that is a stupid and ignorant statement that has no basis in reality.

Well, it's degrees of difference, isn't it. The welfare state in Scotland has to a certain extent been privatised just as England has.

Where we have no fees the rest of the UK has different things that we don't, different disease treatments or cancer medicines for example.

In general, were only different by a few minor points and some of our gains are offset by some of our losses.

Take one thing, there's no jobs for graduating nurses in any numbers right now and a great many of them are heading to England where there are jobs and they are actively recruiting Scots nurses. Nurses that most likely will never return here.

So where is the real difference? Devolution has I think been a positive thing for Scots but I'm not convinced it's been an entirely positive thing for Scotland.
  • kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thms wrote: »
    Correct. It is a complete fallacy to accuse the Scottish government of discriminating against the other countries of the UK. Scotland will become an independent country, but it is not an independent country yet. After a yes vote in the devolution referendum the Westminster government devolved powers to Scotland, but Scotland is still part of the UK, and under a quirk of EU rules if Scotland wants to allow free tuition fees for people who live in Scotland then it has to allow students from other EU countries free tuition too.

Are you saying that if Scotland becomes independent then it will 'under a quirk of EU rules' (better known as anti-discrimination laws) have to allow students from all the other EU members free tuition?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    anndra_w wrote: »
    Except that of course it hasn't. There is nothing remarkable about free tuition, it happens all across Europe so the idea that it can only happen by charging English students is a nonsense. England has exceptionally high fee's compared to any other EU state and to expect Scotland to take on the burden of paying English students when their own governments has refused to is not reasonable.

I précis this by saying I wholeheartedly agree with the Scots take on tuition.

However, do English and Scots students get treated differently in Germany or France?

If the answer is no, then it is discriminatory for them to be treated so in Scotland.

If were all Europeans, then?
  • AllyourKittyAllyourKitty Posts: 897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

However, do English and Scots students get treated differently in Germany or France?

If the answer is no, then it is discriminatory for them to be treated so in Scotland.

You can't use logic with Nationalists, you should know that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Auld Snody wrote: »
    If you have no real idea of what they are buying ,why do you think there are cheaper alternates ?

Wel perhaps if you tell me what they are buying we can see if they can get it elsewhere?
  • woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can't use logic with Nationalists, you should know that.

Does that include British Nationalists such as yourself?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Correct. It is a complete fallacy to accuse the Scottish government of discriminating against the other countries of the UK. Scotland will become an independent country, but it is not an independent country yet. After a yes vote in the devolution referendum the Westminster government devolved powers to Scotland, but Scotland is still part of the UK, and under a quirk of EU rules if Scotland wants to allow free tuition fees for people who live in Scotland then it has to allow students from other EU countries free tuition too.

Which, if there was independence, will all end.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

A better way (and more accurate) is that although it does discriminate, it's ok, because we are all part of the UK and it is a solution agreed by Westminster.

However, if Scotland become independent, it would make no sense for the discrimination to continue.
  • AllyourKittyAllyourKitty Posts: 897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    woot_whoo wrote: »

What was that? A poor attempt at an Ad Homiem attack?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wel perhaps if you tell me what they are buying we can see if they can get it elsewhere?

Whiskey and chemicals are big exports.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What was that? A poor attempt at an Ad Homiem attack?

Nope. How is pointing out that you're a British Nationalist any more of an 'ad hominem attack' than you calling others simply 'nationalists'? Or is this a tacit admission that attacking posters is your game? :S
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Of course, the old, if you aren't in favour of independence you must be a British Nationalist.

While the Blue Jacketed Salmond troopers are in no way evoking nationalism?
  • Auld SnodyAuld Snody Posts: 15,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You brought it up you supply the info. If you do not know why bring it up?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course, the old, if you aren't in favour of independence you must be a British Nationalist.

While the Blue Jacketed Salmond troopers are in no way evoking nationalism?

Ah, but you're not only 'not in favour of independence', you're vehemently and passionately opposed to the very idea of Scotland governing itself. Rather like a stick of rock, you'd have a Union Jack running right down the middle of you. ;) Of course, it's rather sad that you have to resort to slurs about advocates of independence in order to make your cause look more appealing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You brought it up you supply the info. If you do not know why bring it up?

Er, no you brought it up I think.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kidspud wrote: »
    A better way (and more accurate) is that although it does discriminate, it's ok, because we are all part of the UK and it is a solution agreed by Westminster.

However, if Scotland become independent, it would make no sense for the discrimination to continue.

But it is still not discrimination . Are you also accusing the Welsh of discrimination as well?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah, but you're not only 'not in favour of independence', you're vehemently and passionately opposed to the very idea of Scotland governing itself. Rather like a stick of rock, you'd have a Union Jack running right down the middle of you. ;) Of course, it's rather sad that you have to resort to slurs about advocates of independence in order to make your cause look more appealing.

No need to slur you as your idiotic statement there speaks volumes.
  • thmsthms Posts: 61,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kidspud wrote: »
    Are you saying that if Scotland becomes independent then it will 'under a quirk of EU rules' (better known as anti-discrimination laws) have to allow students from all the other EU members free tuition?

As Margo says the politics comes after the referendum. It is SNP policy to allow free tuition fees. It is not the policy of any of the unionist parties, and unless the SNP have another landslide, it should be a combination, or perhaps all three of them who will form an alliance to govern Scotland. I also expect them to sell Scottish Water at the earliest opportunity, and to start the ball rolling with privatisation of the NHS and other publically owned services. It will be 2026 before the SNP return to power.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Er, no you brought it up I think.

No you did. In post 8313 where you said:
    "This is why independence outwith a CU is a disaster before it starts.

The UK would seek cheaper alternatives to Scots goods if we became a foreign country."
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No need to slur you as your idiotic statement there speaks volumes.

How so?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As Margo says the politics comes after the referendum. It is SNP policy to allow free tuition fees. It is not the policy of any of the unionist parties, and unless the SNP have another landslide, it should be a combination, or perhaps all three of them who will form an alliance to govern Scotland. I also expect them to sell Scottish Water at the earliest opportunity, and to start the ball rolling with privatisation of the NHS and other publically owned services. It will be 2026 before the SNP return to power.

Margo is deed....... Should be as Margo said....

Its very telling that you believe that even under independence things will get a lot worse. Even under independence you see the NHS being privatised. Even under independence you believe water will be privatised and even under independence other services will be privatised.

I don't think any party would form an alliance with the SNP, ever.......
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Its very telling that you believe that even under independence things will get a lot worse. Even under independence you see the NHS being privatised. Even under independence you believe water will be privatised and even under independence other services will be privatised.

I think it is aninteresting idea that Labour, the libdems and the Tories would form an allegence to keep the SNP out .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No you did. In post 8313 where you said:
    "This is why independence outwith a CU is a disaster before it starts.

The UK would seek cheaper alternatives to Scots goods if we became a foreign country."

And so they would, wouldn't you?

However, if your saying that they may not be able to get some, you need to say what they won't be able to get.

Bearing in mind as it's 60% then it can't just be whiskey and Harris tweed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But it is still not discrimination . Are you also accusing the Welsh of discrimination as well?

Not accusing, they clearly do. However, as I've said. That is fine within the UK.
  • thmsthms Posts: 61,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I don't agree.. Scotland will be much better off as an independent country. I think the Unionist Parties need to win the election so that Scots like yourself feel reassured during the changeover.
This discussion has been closed.