Options

Feeling ripped Off/Holiday

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,176
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi
advice please before I go storming in....
booked a holiday with Thomson's on Friday, when go home went online to have a good look at hotel/location. saw that the price was £200 cheaper!! same flights/hotel/tour operator.>:(

Is there a cooling off period when booking holidays, ie cancelling without losing deposit ? we have paid deposit and a bit more on top

thanks

Comments

• Options
    iCandy77iCandy77 Posts: 1,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did they give you any paperwork? All terms and conditions, including cooling off periods if there is one should be in there
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iCandy77 wrote: »
    Did they give you any paperwork? All terms and conditions, including cooling off periods if there is one should be in there

yes got all paperwork, no mention of cooling off periods, but that's not to say there is not, and that is what I need to find out.
  • Options
    Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    I thought it was well known that it costs more booking through a travel agents as they need to make their money somehow?

Surely if they gave everyone the cheapest possible price they wouldnt be making any profit? Isnt it also why so many are reducing the numbers of staff and closing down because they cant compete with the amount of people booking it themselves online.
  • Options
    cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    They will say that you took the price offered and make you stick with it probably

But you might get lucky, They are not going to tell you that if you go online it is cheaper as they probably get commission, Also the people in the shop may not even know themselves it is cheaper online
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was the deposit less than £200? If it was, cancel, lose the deposit, and book at . ...whatever the price is then.

Are you sure the package was identical? For example, if you look at the Venetian Riviera, most holidays include transfers. However, if the flight is with EasyJet, then transfers aren't included. Are the meals the same? The rooms?

If they are truly identical, then at least you were happy with the price when you booked it. It's always a mistake in those circumstances to compare prices.

Incidentally, if the prices had gone up, would you have sent the cheque for the difference to Thomsons, or the travel agent?
  • Options
    DiscombobulateDiscombobulate Posts: 4,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is what it says on their website about cancellation

Period Before Departure When Notice Of Cancellation Is Received / Percentage Of Total Booking Price

70 days or more / Loss of deposit

69 – 57 days / 30%
    56 - 43 days / 50%
    42 - 29 days / 70%
    28 - 15 days / 90%
    14 - 0 days / 100%
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    Was the deposit less than £200? If it was, cancel, lose the deposit, and book at . ...whatever the price is then.

Are you sure the package was identical? For example, if you look at the Venetian Riviera, most holidays include transfers. However, if the flight is with EasyJet, then transfers aren't included. Are the meals the same? The rooms?

If they are truly identical, then at least you were happy with the price when you booked it. It's always a mistake in those circumstances to compare prices.

Incidentally, if the prices had gone up, would you have sent the cheque for the difference to Thomsons, or the travel agent?

This. I don't know why people do this to themselves.
  • Options
    gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah I recently checked out a holiday through thomas cook I think it was for a jet2 hol. Told then thanks I'd let them know as wanted to find out more about hotel. Found myself a comfy bench. Checked out same hol myself on jet2 website and got it 200 quid cheaper.
    I thought it common knowledge that the walk in shop versions are dearer. Just You have to be more careful filling it all in doing it yourself.
  • Options
    Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    I always book online - but don't be misled by some super cheap prices. Once you've added flights, baggage and transfers, it's not always such a bargain. I'd never use a travel agent.

£200 is a lot of money though :( It's definitely the exact same holiday?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine was def 200. This included transfers and baggage. The only things I added after initial price was food and seats. Those wouldn't have been included yet at travel agents as we hadn't got that far in the discussion. By time I added this things and in fact travel insurance I was still cheaper than the initial ta price.

I think I'd only use a ta for a special window deal. Even then could probably find it cheaper. They do take a lot of the hassle out booking I guess so some folk may prefer it. There's a place for both ways.
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can never understand why people book a holiday or really buy anything and then go home and see what they can get it for on the internet, why not just do the research first.

If it was an identical holiday, these days Thomson can't even compete with their own website prices, personally think it's just an excuse for the company to shut underperforming shops and cut jobs in order to save money, I mean what chance do they stand if they can't even compete with themselves.

Many agents will price match the internet or get as close to possible as the price, and many people even today will pay a little extra for the service they receive rather than just on cost.

The ones that tend to go bust are the ones that really try to compete with the internet, then the problems start when they no longer have the cash flow, in all honesty unless an agent can make at least 5-7%, then it's not worth having the booking.
  • Options
    jarryhackjarryhack Posts: 5,076
    Forum Member
    I always book online with Thomson, it always includes a web discount so that's why it's cheaper. Btw it's like an unwritten rule never to look at a holiday price after you have booked it, cos they are always going up and down. You wouldn't be going back and offering to pay the extra if it had gone up, would you? :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its the same most places. Game store don't compete with thier online store
  • Options
    AVTECHAVTECH Posts: 1,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very simply, you did it the wrong way round.

First do the online research yourself, resort, hotel, packages, price.

THEN.. decide whether you want to book it yourself online...

OR.. if you want the services of a High Street shop go in and ask if they can match it,
    sometimes (not often) they can!
    i.e. if it is a Thomson holiday from a Thomson shop they may match it or offer some level of discount.

But you have to do the research first!!! or you pay the shop to do it, that is where the price difference comes from.

Also remember that the individuals in the shop may be getting commission on the sale so will present ideas for holidays which pay them the most and may not the best deal or package for you.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,959
    Forum Member
    Tough luck i'd guess. Why in this day and age people go to travel agents i'm not entirely sure.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tough luck i'd guess. Why in this day and age people go to travel agents i'm not entirely sure.[/QUOTE

Because not everybody wants a simple holiday, that's easy to do on the internet.
  • Options
    TogglerToggler Posts: 4,592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You went to a high street shop to book your holiday and got it all booked and done for you, they answered all the questions and gave you good advice about the resort and hotel. You got personal service that comes at a cost. That was your decision.

As others have said why not look on line first? However if you do go on line and enter the booking details wrong, for instance you don;t enter the travellers names correctly and then get turned back at the airport, don't expect a lot of sympathy.

You pays your money and you takes your choice. My advice? get over it.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    Because not everybody wants a simple holiday, that's easy to do on the internet.

I haven't used a travel agent shop in over 10 years and have had some very complex multi-centre holidays. I'm currently planning a trip around Vietnam - but doing all myself I can choose exactly the flights, hotels, transfers and trips that I want and I can book directly with the providers so cutting out the middle man.

I suppose some people want someone else to organise everything and hold their hand while they are away but for me planning a holiday is part of the fun.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    I haven't used a travel agent shop in over 10 years and have had some very complex multi-centre holidays. I'm currently planning a trip around Vietnam - but doing all myself I can choose exactly the flights, hotels, transfers and trips that I want and I can book directly with the providers so cutting out the middle man.

I suppose some people want someone else to organise everything and hold their hand while they are away but for me planning a holiday is part of the fun.

And how long is that taking you? an agent with experience on Vietnam probably could have an itinerary sown up for you with in an hour. And doing it yourself especially worldwide doesn't always work out cheaper, cutting out the middle man doesn't always mean you get a better deal especially on those type of itineraries.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    And how long is that taking you? an agent with experience on Vietnam probably could have an itinerary sown up for you with in an hour. And doing it yourself especially worldwide doesn't always work out cheaper, cutting out the middle man doesn't always mean you get a better deal especially on those type of itineraries.

It's talking me weeks - but I do enjoy doing the research and I'm learning a lot about the country along the way. I've already drawn up several virtual itineraries and then ripped them up and started again. I don't want it all sorted out within an hour. It also doesn't matter than much if booking DIY is slightly more expensive. I'd rather pay a little more if I know I'm getting exactly what I want.
  • Options
    MythicaMythica Posts: 3,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gillyallan wrote: »
    Yeah I recently checked out a holiday through thomas cook I think it was for a jet2 hol. Told then thanks I'd let them know as wanted to find out more about hotel. Found myself a comfy bench. Checked out same hol myself on jet2 website and got it 200 quid cheaper.
    I thought it common knowledge that the walk in shop versions are dearer. Just You have to be more careful filling it all in doing it yourself.

It's not common knowledge as I've had plenty of cheaper holidays through the travel agents to what the same holiday is online.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always book online - but don't be misled by some super cheap prices. Once you've added flights, baggage and transfers, it's not always such a bargain. I'd never use a travel agent.

£200 is a lot of money though :( It's definitely the exact same holiday?

Why would you limit your 'choice' seems strange to me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jarryhack wrote: »
    I always book online with Thomson, it always includes a web discount so that's why it's cheaper. Btw it's like an unwritten rule never to look at a holiday price after you have booked it, cos they are always going up and down. You wouldn't be going back and offering to pay the extra if it had gone up, would you? :D

It's not always cheaper. I've found that out myself. Plus if you push you can try and get discounts or free stuff like insurance.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tough luck i'd guess. Why in this day and age people go to travel agents i'm not entirely sure.

Because it's cheaper sometimes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    It's talking me weeks - but I do enjoy doing the research and I'm learning a lot about the country along the way. I've already drawn up several virtual itineraries and then ripped them up and started again. I don't want it all sorted out within an hour. It also doesn't matter than much if booking DIY is slightly more expensive. I'd rather pay a little more if I know I'm getting exactly what I want.

I'm not expert on Vietnam, but apparently a must is to go to Sapa and take the rail from Hanoi, also do an overnight Junk cruise around Halong Bay.

A good tour operator site to use for information is Audley Travel.

http://www.audleytravel.com/destinations/southeast-asia/vietnam.aspx