PS3 Help

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
Forum Member
I've got a problem with my PS3 at the moment, it freezes after load up (at the screen with floating things in background).

I've gone into safe mode and chose options 3 and 4 to no avail and I've also contacted Sony for help and they said that I should restore the PS3 system.

The problem is I'm adamant that the problem is actually INSIDE my PS3. When I've been playing games it's been making weird ticking noises and clunking during transitions.

Another problem is I can unscrew all the screws bar one (one on bottom left/top right) the little rubber bit on the protective casing has come off but not the casing itself and it's impossible to get into the screw.

Does anyone know what the problem is, how I can fix it and more importantly how can I access that final screw?!

Comments

• fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only moving parts inside a PS3 that could make a noise are the fan, BD Drive and HDD.

I would pretty much eliminate the fan and BD Drive straight away, leaving the HDD as the most likely culprit.

If the HDD is corrupted, then following Sony's advice would work, as the noise could be from the HDD trying to access the damaged data.

If the HDD is physically broken, then it will need to be replaced.

I would explore the above before trying to take the console apart.
  • jokerzjokerz Posts: 1,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only moving parts inside a PS3 that could make a noise are the fan, BD Drive and HDD.

I would pretty much eliminate the fan and BD Drive straight away, leaving the HDD as the most likely culprit.

If the HDD is corrupted, then following Sony's advice would work, as the noise could be from the HDD trying to access the damaged data.

If the HDD is physically broken, then it will need to be replaced.

I would explore the above before trying to take the console apart.

yeah that sounds like a dying HDD
  • ConroyConroy Posts: 3,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My PS3 (UK launch model) started to crash/freeze daily about a year ago. Some games such as God Of War: Ascension would take close to 5 minutes before the main menu displayed on screen. I replaced the HDD and all those problems went away.

I did a few tests with the HDD on my PC and it failed one of the tests using SeaTools which showed that there was a mechanical fault with the drive.

Back up all your save data, sync your Trophies and replace your HDD.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My PS3 never gets past that "floaty" screen on boot up if there is a dvd in the drive. Don't know about your other issues im afraid.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    thanks for the replies, I hoovered inside the fan, removed disks, tried others out and the clunking sound isn't there anymore.

It's only started happening since yesterday, I was able to go on and I wanted to change my connection to my BT Home Hub to BT Wifi with FON, and it's froze ever since. Could this be a problem? Longshot but seen it mentioned before as a potential problem.