Forum Member
If you're to believe TMZ, that is.
http://www.tmz.com/2014/08/12/lauren-bacall-dead-dies/

Comments

• grahamzxygrahamzxy Posts: 11,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

RIP Lauren Bacall

There is a weird coincidence about Actors dying in threes - JJ Murphy, Robin Williams, now Lauren Bacall
  • SupercellSupercell Posts: 5,079
    Forum Member
    I always remember an interview Paul OGrady did with her and he has obviously been told to address her as Ms Bacall!

Classic old school glamour actress
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grahamzxy wrote: »
    RIP Lauren Bacall

There is a weird coincidence about Actors dying in threes - JJ Murphy, Robin Williams, now Lauren Bacall

Perhaps hearing about Robin Williams was too much for her.
  • Jake2008Jake2008 Posts: 1,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Supercell wrote: »
    I always remember an interview Paul OGrady did with her and he has obviously been told to address her as Ms Bacall!

Classic old school glamour actress

I remember that as well, I remember it being mentioned how a street somewhere in the UK was named after her, I remember him saying (before the new run on ITV started this year) that she could come back anyday as she was smashing

Sadly another of our last remaining old school actresses has gone RIP
  • IanPIanP Posts: 3,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very few screen goddesses from the classic era left now. She was one of the greats and a fine actress too.
  • Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    very sad news, fabulous actress
  • MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

TMZ are actually known to be pretty accurate and reliable. They were the people who broke the news of Michael Jacksons death first.
  • NotaTypoNotaTypo Posts: 4,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A good age and a classy, old school glamourpuss.

RIP.
  • Mrs BBVMrs BBV Posts: 3,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good grief. One of the few remaining old school, grand ladies of Hollywood. :(

Such a shame as she deserves her recognition and to be mourned and yet her passing will be totally overshadowed.

I read her autobiography a few years back. She was a tough cookie who certainly didn't suffer fools gladly. Utterly mesmerising to look at on screen though.

Why do these celebrity deaths in US. always break late at night?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mrs BBV wrote: »

Such a shame as she deserves her recognition and to be mourned and yet her passing will be totally overshadowed.

I read her autobiography a few years back. She was a tough cookie who certainly didn't suffer fools gladly. Utterly mesmerising to look at on screen though.

Ehh? do you mean late at night our time? It was around 4pm in LA when the news of Lauren Bacall and Robin Williams Broke. Hardly late at night. Also if they die in the morning US time it's not going to come out instantly. They have to tell the family etc.
  • RickyLeeds85RickyLeeds85 Posts: 11,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

BIB Because their early evening is late night/early morning our time. another legend gone RIP Lauren Bacall
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    IanP wrote: »
    Very few screen goddesses from the classic era left now. She was one of the greats and a fine actress too.

Agreed. She was certainly one from the Golden Years of Hollywood and a legend in her own lifetime.
    Forum Member

Yes, I agree. A real shame as her passing is certainly deserving of more coverage than it'll get.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    Ehh? do you mean late at night our time? It was around 4pm in LA when the news of Lauren Bacall and Robin Williams Broke. Hardly late at night. Also if they die in the morning US time it's not going to come out instantly. They have to tell the family etc.

Yes I did mean our time. I remember Michael Jackson and Whitney Houston, as well as Robin Williams and Lauren Bacall breaking news on Sky just as I was going to bed which inevitably meant watching the news late into the night.

I just wondered whether the American media has an 'optimum time' to break a story. Before modern media, stories used to break especially timed for 6/9 O'Clock news on BBC or for publication in the next days paper. In fact one British King is alleged to have had his death hastened by morphine so the news could be in the paper and consequently on his subjects breakfast table in the morning.

I digress. Always amazed me that Lauren Bacall never won her Oscar until so late into her career as she had an incredible back catalogue of work.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I did mean our time. I remember Michael Jackson and Whitney Houston, as well as Robin Williams and Lauren Bacall breaking news on Sky just as I was going to bed which inevitably meant watching the news late into the night.

I just wondered whether the American media had an 'optimum time' to break a story. Before modern media, stories used to break especially timed for 6/9 O'Clock news on BBC or for publication in the next days paper. In fact one British King is alleged to have had his death hastened by morphine so the news could be in the paper and consequently on his subjects breakfast table in the morning.

I digress. Always amazed me that Lauren Bacall never won her Oscar until so late into her career as she had some incredible back catalogue of work.

The media will break a story as soon as they hear about it. There is no holding back of stories or an optimum time to announce them. It just so happens that the announcements by their publicists or family or the police etc of the people you mention dying were broken late evening our time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I agree. A real shame as her passing is certainly deserving of more coverage than it'll get.

Mind you it will be a great deal more dignified than how the media have behaved over Robin Williams passing and therefore more in keeping in the spirit of the lady herself.
  • AliKatAliKat Posts: 152
    Forum Member
    Really sad to see this, a proper old school glamour puss. "You know how to whistle don't you?... You put your lips together and.... Blow".

Not many true old school Hollywood stars left now, sadly. RIP Ms Bacall.
  • DangerBrotherDangerBrother Posts: 1,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has been a pretty bad year for "famous" folk passing on.

Rik Mayall and Robin Williams were very sad because they made so many folk laugh.

Seymour Hoffman and now Lauren Bacall were great actors, amongst the very best of their respective generations.

RIP x
  • SecretLifeoBeesSecretLifeoBees Posts: 50,870
    Forum Member
    Wow it's shaping up to be a bad year. So many big names lost :(

What a truly beautiful woman she was in her heyday though!
  • AdelaideGirlAdelaideGirl Posts: 3,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RIP - reunited with Bogie.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has been a pretty bad year for "famous" folk passing on.

Rik Mayall and Robin Williams were very sad because they made so many folk laugh.

Seymour Hoffman and now Lauren Bacall were great actors, amongst the very best of their respective generations.

RIP x

I think it's the unexpected nature and relatively young age of some of those that have passed that has made so much of it so shocking. And of course that some have featured addiction or mental health problems which are so widely misunderstood. L'Wren Scott and Peaches Geldof another two with issues. :(
    Forum Member
    Mind you it will be a great deal more dignified than how the media have behaved over Robin Williams passing and therefore more in keeping in the spirit of the lady herself.

The Guardian are doing her proud anyway:

http://www.theguardian.com/uk

:)
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    One of the greats. :(

I have read her fantastic autobiography 'By Myself' twice. What a life she had. I shall read the updated version 'By Myself & Then Some' in the near future.

May she rest in peace.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    She seemed to have been around forever.