R.I.P Dawn Barry CDWM

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,328
Forum Member
From probably one of the best episodes of "come dine with me". She was just 36 :(

Comments

• konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    An absolute classic episode but how sad that a contestant's alcoholism contributed to the entertainment (I'm not preaching, I laughed also although I didn't realise at the time that she was an alcoholic).

RIP.
  • gregsanisongregsanison Posts: 648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So young and tragic, Rest in peace you lovely lady x
  • DemizdeeroolzDemizdeeroolz Posts: 3,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was she the one that fell asleep during the meal ?
  • konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    Was she the one that fell asleep during the meal ?

Yes. It really was an absolutely classic episode. Some proper characters (the alleged Chuckle Brother was also a highlight :D)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 205
    Forum Member
    I lovers that week , such a young age, what has she passed away from ?
  • misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chazmaxi wrote: »
    I lovers that week , such a young age, what has she passed away from ?

Suicide, reportedly.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2443605/Come-Dine-With-Me-contestant-Dawn-Barry-dies-battle-alcoholism.html

Sorry for the DM link :o
  • Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    Good lord, that's sad.
    That was the best episode ever of CDWM.

EDIT: "But the beautician had in fact been dealing with alcohol and mental health problems for a number of years and had spent time in rehab."

Were the shows producers aware of this?
    If they were, then you need to question why they chose her to appear.
  • Tweacle Tart IITweacle Tart II Posts: 5,079
    Forum Member
    Oh my goodness, how shocking and sad :(

Preston is my favourite ever week of CDWM.
  • Stupid_HeadStupid_Head Posts: 37,826
    Forum Member
    Kiko H Fan wrote: »
    Good lord, that's sad.
    That was the best episode ever of CDWM.

EDIT: "But the beautician had in fact been dealing with alcohol and mental health problems for a number of years and had spent time in rehab."

Were the shows producers aware of this?
    If they were, then you need to question why they chose her to appear.

She made good TV. Sad but true.
  • Susie_WilcoxSusie_Wilcox Posts: 1,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was evident she had a drinking problem, she was well plastered before the guests even arrived at her home. And to go to bed before even serving the food...that was not even prepared:o

I have seen the episode several times now and always found her behaviour curious rather than humorous, I always wonder why people find an overly intoxicated female funny. You wouldn't laugh at someone high on heroin...:cool:
  • Swanandduck2Swanandduck2 Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    I agree she should never have been chosen for the programme. I know she made good TV but what a horrible cynical way to choose contestants; basically exploiting someone who wasn't well and allowing the public to laugh at her.
    Poor girl. RIP
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was evident she had a drinking problem, she was well plastered before the guests even arrived at her home. And to go to bed before even serving the food...that was not even prepared:o

I have seen the episode several times now and always found her behaviour curious rather than humorous, I always wonder why people find an overly intoxicated female funny. You wouldn't laugh at someone high on heroin...:cool:

That's indeed true,but I guess in true CDWM style it's funny because it's shocking that someone would be in the middle of cooking dinner, invite guests over, and then pass out! That entire week was pretty crazy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poor lass.
  • Sun_BeamSun_Beam Posts: 11,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh god.... didn't expect to read this news, how awful & poor Dawn. :cry:

That episode is CDWM's best one, IMO, and all of the made for fantastic viewing, and although Dawn clearly had alcohol issues, she was great to watch as she was funny and git along well with the others, but in hindsight, probably shouldn't have been chosen.

RIP Dawn :(
  • Tweacle Tart IITweacle Tart II Posts: 5,079
    Forum Member
    Sun_Beam wrote: »
    Oh god.... didn't expect to read this news, how awful & poor Dawn. :cry:

That episode is CDWM's best one, IMO, and all of the made for fantastic viewing, and although Dawn clearly had alcohol issues, she was great to watch as she was funny and got along well with the others , but in hindsight, probably shouldn't have been chosen.

RIP Dawn :(

Not Bernard :eek:
  • FlannoFlanno Posts: 1,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not Bernard :eek:

The Caribbean guy, you mean?

I remember him too. You're right as Brendan didn't get on well with Dawn almost right from the start when they first met.

It's terribly sad to hear of Dawn's tragic passing. May she rest in peace. :(

A bit of this classic CDWM starring the late Dawn:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TbwjbW7SP4
  • Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    Flanno wrote: »
    The Caribbean guy, you mean?

I remember him too. You're right as Brendan didn't get on well with Dawn almost right from the start when they first met.

It's terribly sad to hear of Dawn's tragic passing. May she rest in peace. :(

A bit of this classic CDWM starring the late Dawn:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TbwjbW7SP4

He didn't get on with many of them I recall?

He was an obnoxious arse.
  • JusticarJusticar Posts: 1,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember her, the one that fell asleep upstairs? Was quite a funny episode.
  • M@nterikM@nterik Posts: 6,982
    Forum Member
    May she RIP
  • lozengerlozenger Posts: 4,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is so sad, her poor family :( If only she'd realised what caring friends she had - some lovely tributes there. Alcoholism is a terrible illness, one that has blighted my own family and sadly there is nothing anyone can do to help. Hope her family can find peace.
  • Irishguy123Irishguy123 Posts: 14,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Should quite clearly have never been picked for the programme. It was as clear as day from watching the show that there were issues at play.
  • Blue Eyed ladyBlue Eyed lady Posts: 6,007
    Forum Member
    So sad. I remember watching this ep of CDWM & looking past her very obvious problems, she seemed a lovely, bubbly girl.
  • The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very sad.

I must be the only person who didn't find her episode in the slightest bit amusing or entertaining. It was awful car crash telly at its worst IMHO.
  • Blue Eyed ladyBlue Eyed lady Posts: 6,007
    Forum Member
    Very sad.

I must be the only person who didn't find her episode in the slightest bit amusing or entertaining. It was awful car crash telly at its worst IMHO.

No you're not alone, it was very obvious she had problems, especially when she started to cry, not very comfortable viewing.

Hopefully she has found peace:(
  • whatever54whatever54 Posts: 6,456
    Forum Member
    Very sad.

Poor lady, it is very sad. I wonder why she was so keen to be on television and make it as some kind of reality star, strange.

No, I'm with you and am amazed people are classing it as one of the best episodes ever:eek: It was just a bit sad to watch and see her unravelling on national tv:(