Options

Help with Wi-Fi

IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have a VDSL modem/Wi-Fi router, but it's quite old and can only do 54Mbps. I cannot replace it, but I'd like to turn off the Wi-Fi part and use some other device to take care of it. What do I need? Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Simplest option is a wireless access point. You plug into old router using Ethernet cable. Virtually plug and play.

E g.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/review/B006PYGWG6/R2QZZMSEGKQCN5/ref=mw_dp_cr?cursor=3&qid=1394142935&sort=rd&sr=1-2

above system will be OK for internet access bit would have limited network capability.

If you know how, or willing to try, to access routers and modify (many guides on web) you could install a really fast 1Gb router attached to old router and get much faster WiFi as well. Old router would only be used for internet in effect. it is not that difficult to do and not expensive.

Of course internet speed is limited by broadband supplier but the old router will easily handle that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks, so the keyword is access point. I had a look already, but did not know what I needed :) I don't think I am going to experiment with routers atm.
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Something like this

www.amazon.co.uk/Netgear-N150-Wireless-Access-Point/dp/B003T0A03A/

Just plugs into your router via ethernet cable and gives you WiFi 802.11N standard which should give you the required speed boost. Plus you get three spare ethernet ports to add extra wired devices should you need to.
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    just a note. most of the cheaper end are 150Mbps access points.

you nee to think if that is adequate for your needs or f you want to spend a bit more and go for 300Mbps.

other questions are if you want to use just a WAP or you want to use the new device as the full router and just use the old one as a modem or not.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    other questions are if you want to use just a WAP or you want to use the new device as the full router and just use the old one as a modem or not.

I would have to turn off routing in my old router. It's Motorola Netopia 7347-44. I see there

Bridging: Disabled/Enabled
    Concurrent Bridging/Routing: Disabled/Enabled

I guess I would have to switch bridging to enabled and the concurrent bridging/routing to disabled? Now are both disabled. Some options are configurable via ISP's webpage, I am guessing to save people from their own stupidity, but I am not sure if I want to start changing things. I had a look at routers and they all come with some kind of a modem, too. Perhaps I'll ask my ISP first if they can swap it for something newer and save myself a headache.