Options

Sharing the leaked scripts on the forum

13»

Comments

• Options
    PobattiPobatti Posts: 341
    Forum Member
    Pobatti wrote: »
    What happened is one of the files got duplicated. If, on a Windows PC, you copy a file to the exact same folder that already has that file a (1) is appended to alter the file name to identify the copy.

OK, a bit of testing made me realize that doing the above would append "copy" to the file, however I've discovered a better explanation for this.

Let's say you're trying to download a file on the internet, but the download terminates. In many cases you're still left with a partial file on your hard drive. If you immediately try to download the file again your browser can see that a file with the filename it wants to save the download as already exists, so it appends a (1) to the end.

Presumably Episode 4 had problems being downloaded to that server, and the download was retried causing the "(1)" in the file name. That would explain why the file with the "(1)" in it was left as the "true" episode 4, since the other file was only partially downloaded and likely corrupt.

The corrupted file, rather than being deleted, was renamed "Ep6" for some reason.
  • Options
    Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    OK, a bit of testing made me realize that doing the above would append "copy" to the file, however I've discovered a better explanation for this.

Let's say you're trying to download a file on the internet, but the download terminates. In many cases you're still left with a partial file on your hard drive. If you immediately try to download the file again your browser can see that a file with the filename it wants to save the download as already exists, so it appends a (1) to the end.

Presumably Episode 4 had problems being downloaded to that server, and the download was retried causing the "(1)" in the file name. That would explain why the file with the "(1)" in it was left as the "true" episode 4, since the other file was only partially downloaded and likely corrupt.

The corrupted file, rather than being deleted, was renamed "Ep6" for some reason.

Or ep 6 is ep 6? The directory index didn't list filesizes so it's impossible to tell.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Or ep 6 is ep 6? The directory index didn't list filesizes so it's impossible to tell.

True, but it would have been worthless and superfluous if that was the case.

"Drei Marc" is a Brazillian subtitling company.

http://www.dreimarc.com.br/en

They were sent the scripts of the episodes in English, along with the videos. They needed the videos so that the script could be better understood and given context for translation. The BBC never sent them Episode 6's script, which would definitely have been there if they were supposed to have it because PDF files are small and therefore don't usually corrupt or fail to download properly.

And then you have the "(1)" anomaly. The files won't have been sent to their servers in that condition, the "(1)" was clearly appended after the fact. This means one of the files is and must be a duplicate or a corrupted download copy of one of the others.

The fact they then later renamed the partial Ep4 file to Ep6 (It must have been Episode 4 that was duplicated since it's Episode 4 that had the 1 appended to it, barring an even bigger case of incompetent renaming) is bewildering: the person who did it clearly wasn't tech savvy and didn't even view the files, saw the file sizes were all different, saw that there were files for Episodes 1 through 5 and assumed incorrectly that one must be Ep6.

Incompetence upon incompetence.
  • Options
    Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    True, but it would have been worthless and superfluous if that was the case.

"Drei Marc" is a Brazillian subtitling company.

http://www.dreimarc.com.br/en

They were sent the scripts of the episodes in English, along with the videos. They needed the videos so that the script could be better understood and given context for translation. The BBC never sent them Episode 6's script, which would definitely have been there if they were supposed to have it because PDF files are small and therefore don't usually corrupt or fail to download properly.

And then you have the "(1)" anomaly. The files won't have been sent to their servers in that condition, the "(1)" was clearly appended after the fact. This means one of the files is and must be a duplicate or a corrupted download copy of one of the others.

The fact they then later renamed the partial Ep4 file to Ep6 (It must have been Episode 4 that was duplicated since it's Episode 4 that had the 1 appended to it, barring an even bigger case of incompetent renaming) is bewildering: the person who did it clearly wasn't tech savvy and didn't even view the files, saw the file sizes were all different, saw that there were files for Episodes 1 through 5 and assumed incorrectly that one must be Ep6.

Incompetence upon incompetence.

BBC Worldwide seem to believe it was ep 6, then again, they also thought that server was secure.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    BBC Worldwide seem to believe it was ep 6, then again, they also thought that server was secure.

Exactly. They didn't exactly spend a whole lot of time investigating, and likely only jumped to the same conclusion as a lot of people here based on the publicly available content listing of the server. Whoever investigated probably won't have even noticed that the server appeared to contain a file Drei Marc shouldn't have had access to at that point.

You get that a lot with companies, employees are paid to do a thorough job but instead of checking and verifying every little detail they just assume everything they see is correct. Indeed, the person who made the files available on the server will have only done a half-assed job of it because not only was the server indexed by Google but there was absolutely no security in place.

As I'm involved in the IT industry I'm fully aware that any IT professional would instinctively be concerned about security at all times - they certainly wouldn't "overlook" or "skip" on security because when things go wrong (which inevitably they will) it's that member of staff who almost certainly has to foot the blame - so that tells me that maybe in this occasion the job was offhanded to someone who simply wasn't suited to the task probably in good faith, and that person predictably messed up.
  • Options
    Spdub2Spdub2 Posts: 272
    Forum Member

[highlight]EDIT:[/highlight] Discussion of knowledge gained from the leaked episode or scripts is also not permitted.

Despite normally being a haven of spoilers for programmes with future source material available ( avoid the GoT forum ) the Doctor Who forum on IMDB hasn't had any major spoilers posted .

It does seem a lot of fans are keeping spoilers to themselves
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spdub2 wrote: »
    Despite normally being a haven of spoilers for programmes with future source material available ( avoid the GoT forum ) the Doctor Who forum on IMDB hasn't had any major spoilers posted .

It does seem a lot of fans are keeping spoilers to themselves

SPOILER!

It's possible, just maybe, maybe the word 'exterminate' might feature in episode 2!

End SPOILER!

:p
  • Options
    Simon_AmblerSimon_Ambler Posts: 98
    Forum Member
    personally I think its a massive shame that the scripts got leaked online along with the videos. it spoils the fun
  • Options
    adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    personally I think its a massive shame that the scripts got leaked online along with the videos. it spoils the fun

No one makes you watch the leaked episodes, or read the leaked scripts.
    My fun hasn't been spoiled at all - I'm enjoying each episode as it comes.
  • Options
    DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I see this thread is no longer pinned!