Birthday present help for a 1 year old?

yeahbuddyyeahbuddy Posts: 703
Forum Member
✭✭
I need some help for my close friends daughters birthday. It's her 1st birthday but I have no idea on what to get her. When she was born I sent her a personalised soft baby blanket and then christmas a baby rattle. Help?

Comments

• Rachael.Rachael. Posts: 2,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tbh I would stick with clothes. Its a practical present I'm always grateful for when given to my 2 year old (not that I'm not grateful for other presents!). I just mean my daughter always receives loads of toys at birthdays and Christmas and has far too much. Most of it doesn't even get played with, gets broken or last.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yeahbuddy wrote: »
    I need some help for my close friends daughters birthday. It's her 1st birthday but I have no idea on what to get her. When she was born I sent her a personalised soft baby blanket and then christmas a baby rattle. Help?

Ask the mother if she needs anything. You could always treat them to a day out. Or give the mother a bit of a break and have the child for a few hours so she can get her hair done.
  • JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    I went to a one-year-old's birthday party yesterday and we got him an interactive book made of fabric. It had little pull-out cloth toys and things like that in it. He seemed to like it and it's pretty inoffensive for parents (makes no noise!). It was £9.99 from the Babies R Us section of Toys R Us. If there's one near you, it's a good bet for children's presents, if you haven't a clue like me, because the toys are arranged by age recommendation.
  • guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Duplo...I bought some for my Grandson's 1st birthday and he absolutely loves it!
  • postitpostit Posts: 23,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wrap up a large cardboard box filled with polystyrene peanuts. The child will have a wonderful time crawling in and out of the box and flinging the peanuts everywhere.

I don't know if your friendship will survive though ;-)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    postit wrote: »
    Wrap up a large cardboard box filled with polystyrene peanuts. The child will have a wonderful time crawling in and out of the box and flinging the peanuts everywhere.

I don't know if your friendship will survive though ;-)

^This would have been my advice!

I'd recommend something quiet or be hated by your friend!

I would speak to your friend first to see if there is anything she would recommend or at least run it past her before the day.

What is your budget?

I like the idea of Audio or DVD books such as this:

http://www.elc.co.uk/The-Gruffalo-and-Friends-Audio-Boxed-Set/121007,default,pd.html
  • LaceyLouelle3LaceyLouelle3 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    What sort of budget do you have?
  • iCandy77iCandy77 Posts: 1,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FANNY_ANNE wrote: »
    Ask the mother if she needs anything. You could always treat them to a day out. Or give the mother a bit of a break and have the child for a few hours so she can get her hair done.

What a rubbish suggestion. The present should be for the child not the mother. Get something for the child, no matter how small.
  • lozengerlozenger Posts: 4,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Books. Never fails - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Thats-Teddy-Usborne-Touchy-Feely/dp/0746085176, 1 year old is not too young to be read to at bedtime - especially with a touchy-feely Usbourne book
  • RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,071
    Forum Member
    lozenger wrote: »
    Books. Never fails - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Thats-Teddy-Usborne-Touchy-Feely/dp/0746085176, 1 year old is not too young to be read to at bedtime - especially with a touchy-feely Usbourne book

I second the suggestion of books.
    You can never go wrong with books.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 183
    Forum Member
    Baby Girl and Bear Traditional Wooden Music Box by Gisela Graham https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B007RD9T2S/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_QheZtb04S9FP4524

I love these
  • Paulie WalnutsPaulie Walnuts Posts: 3,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    postit wrote: »

Aren't those things a choking hazard for a young child?
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't bother getting anything. The kid will be totally oblivious to the situation and utterly confused.
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is she a really good friend, or do you secretly disike her?

If the latter, buy the kid a drum.

;-)
    Forum Member
    barbeler wrote: »
    Don't bother getting anything. The kid will be totally oblivious to the situation and utterly confused.

Yes, no doubt. But it's basic manners not to show up at any birthday party empty-handed.
  • trphiltrphil Posts: 2,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My daughter was given a dalmation cuddly toy that used to bark by one of my cousins, that was nearly thirteen years ago and she still cuddles this toy every night.
  • Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    JulesF wrote: »
    Yes, no doubt. But it's basic manners not to show up at any birthday party empty-handed.

Take a bottle of sherry then.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iCandy77 wrote: »
    What a rubbish suggestion. The present should be for the child not the mother. Get something for the child, no matter how small.

Yes, as I am sure the one year old would know the difference *rolls eyes* ^_^
    Forum Member
    Kiko H Fan wrote: »
    Take a bottle of sherry then.

I would take both! Wine, though, not sherry, as I don't live in 1970s suburbia. ;-)
    Forum Member
    Yes, as I am sure the one year old would know the difference *rolls eyes* ^_^

I don't think your suggestion was rubbish at all, but I do think that it's appropriate to give the person whose birthday it actually is a present, regardless of age, even if it's just a little token thing. It's just good manners.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JulesF wrote: »
    I don't think your suggestion was rubbish at all, but I do think that it's appropriate to give the person whose birthday it actually is a present, regardless of age, even if it's just a little token thing. It's just good manners.

Thank you.

In my original post I did say to take them out for a treat or take just the child out to give the mom some time to herself. This could have been to a petting zoo etc
  • yeahbuddyyeahbuddy Posts: 703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for your help guys :) any more suggestions, everyone's stuck :)
  • yeahbuddyyeahbuddy Posts: 703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank you.

In my original post I did say to take them out for a treat or take just the child out to give the mom some time to herself. This could have been to a petting zoo etc

We are close friends but we leave about an hour from each other so looking after her would not be that easy but thank you for your advice :)
  • benjammin316benjammin316 Posts: 264
    Forum Member
    Nothing, he won't remember
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yeahbuddy wrote: »
    We are close friends but we leave about an hour from each other so looking after her would not be that easy but thank you for your advice :)

Thank you and sorry for being a bit arsey on your thread. :)