Will The X Factor produce a star this series?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 80
Forum Member
After last years abysmal series imo (excluding Tamera if she gets anywhere), will there be any huge talent or stars in this series? With Simon back on board I think that it could pick back up a lot as he clearly knows how to produce and create stars. However other than that, has the talent pool run dry?

Comments

• NicoleRichNicoleRich Posts: 2,107
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ella is successful. I think they just need to pick better singers with marketable personalities.
  • StratusSphereStratusSphere Posts: 2,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ella was from two series back, wasnt she?

It depends on who they go for. And maybe more importantly, how seriously they take it. We want to see artists singing modern songs not I Will Always Love You and Over the Rainbow.
  • DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 109,911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    No because what the public vote for , a winners journeys, sympathy etc has no chance of being successful.

I still think the it's only young female singers who have any chance of some success and you know what the public think to the thought of someone in that category winning.

Cowell and Cheryl will be better at steering the acts closer to what might be a success though
  • EEAS1997EEAS1997 Posts: 2,907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think so, yeah. The last real star to come from X Factor was Ella, which was two years ago. It's important to note too, that Series 9 was where the ratings were really dire, yet two years down the line... Ella's debut single is one of the biggest hits this year. I think that goes to show that regardless of the state the show is in, it'll always act as a strong platform, and thus will always be able to create careers so long as the contestants have the appropriate backing from Simon. Again, this is shown with Ella... Simon is a huge fan, and I'm sure without his support, she wouldn't have had success this early.
  • Grof_GriffGrof_Griff Posts: 306
    Forum Member
    I really hope so, but worry that this won't happen due to the audition tour being so short - even series 1 had 5 cities and this year there's only 4?!

I hope that doesn't mean the talent is poor though, although reading the Contestant Spoiler thread a lot do seem to be returnees/existing talent - so nothing fresh, someone new and amazing - hope I am super-wrong though! :)
  • CARA2000CARA2000 Posts: 10,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After last years abysmal series imo (excluding Tamera if she gets anywhere), will there be any huge talent or stars in this series? With Simon back on board I think that it could pick back up a lot as he clearly knows how to produce and create stars. However other than that, has the talent pool run dry?

Depends on what you consider a star and what Scowell's agenda is for this year. There has been some great raw talent on the show - Scowell hasn't got a clue what to do with it when it wins at times though. I agree he knows how to create stars. The stars he has made out of the talentless ones has proven that. Only clever promotion in that scenario. I assume Scowell employs talented marketers. :D:p
  • Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What's happened to Sam Bailey?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Really depends on who walks through the door. Simon coming back to the show should help because he gets behind at least a couple acts every year after the shows he's on. Talent should realize that and target the shows he's judging.

It's trickier than it would have been a few years ago because the teen fodder market is pretty saturated atm. Of course there's space if you find a better version of something already happening, but there aren't a lot of huge gaps, particularly as 1D don't seem to have really started fading and 5SOS seem to be filling the "play actual instruments" niche. And teen stars is what the show specializes in; if you have a strong enough artistic direction and enough talent to make it in the broader pop market, you probably skip the show. The most common exceptions are girls who grew up watching the show, which is why that category always seems to be the most loaded with talent by far.

I also wonder about the future of the show when it increasingly looks like the way to go is build up viral buzz over a couple of years online. (Though maybe that's more true in the US, where the whole reality singing show format really dropped hard this year.)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The game plan will be for one of Cheryl's acts to win this year. When the live shows starts they will probably pick out a safe bet winner from her category who will be an audience pleasing winner. It's a spoken promised part of the new female judges contract that they will have the winning act. I suspect this year won't be about finding a star. This year will be all about the rantings and the panto. I suspect the most successful act will finish 2nd or 3rd. I think this years show will find a UK success story for the medium to short term but if they want to find the next breakout star this year the show and the judges have to put the effort in and make sure the right person gets the victory, not the person with the saddest back story, not the person who gets votes based of the overused cheeky chappy cliche, not the person who the public feel sorry for and get behind because they have wanted it the longest and tried the most prior to the show. They need another Leona Lewis. A contestant who won based on pure star quality and talent. Maybe not a contestant in the exact style of Leona. But they need someone who has that IT factor. It's all in the hands of the show and the public not to royally screw anything up this year.
  • Directioner_HazDirectioner_Haz Posts: 462
    Forum Member
    Jason100 wrote: »
    What's happened to Sam Bailey?

Having a baby soon
  • StratusSphereStratusSphere Posts: 2,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The game plan will be for one of Cheryl's acts to win this year. When the live shows starts they will probably pick out a safe bet winner from her category who will be an audience pleasing winner. It's a spoken promised part of the new female judges contract that they will have the winning act. I suspect this year won't be about finding a star. This year will be all about the rantings and the panto. I suspect the most successful act will finish 2nd or 3rd. I think this years show will find a UK success story for the medium to short term but if they want to find the next breakout star this year the show and the judges have to put the effort in and make sure the right person gets the victory, not the person with the saddest back story, not the person who gets votes based of the overused cheeky chappy cliche, not the person who the public feel sorry for and get behind because they have wanted it the longest and tried the most prior to the show. They need another Leona Lewis. A contestant who won based on pure star quality and talent. Maybe not a contestant in the exact style of Leona. But they need someone who has that IT factor. It's all in the hands of the show and the public not to royally screw anything up this year.

I agree; this series will be (or will try to be) pulling out all the stops to get audience appeal and rescue 'The X Factor' as a brand that people will like.

Having Simon back will only serve to make Cheryl look better. Simon will probably go out of his way to be the 'villain' of the series and also pick fights with Louis so that Cheryl will look better and be the show's anchor in comparison.

In fact Mel B was probably chosen for precisely this reason too; to be horrible and make Cheryl look better. People only turned on Cheryl properly back in the day when Dannii's popularity surged and she seemed a much nicer person and Cheryl seemed a bit fake in comparison.

I also think Mel and Simon both being mean to the early audition acts will make either of them look less like 'the bully' because it'll split the meanness across them both. Mel really does seem to have been a smart choice in terms of 'casting' the show.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    Some of the people I saw audition were incredible, so hopefully they feature them. Some great artists, along with the usual odd ones. Overall a great mix from what I saw at the Judges auditions.