Absolute dumbo - I've no idea if this is possible

2»

Comments

• MartinPickeringMartinPickering Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes sadly I have, I've just lost so much of my high frequency hearing that I can hear sound, but not make out meaning, so just raising the volume doesn't help me.

Have you tried using an electronic device that lowers the entire audio spectrum by an octave?

(I don't have a specific device in mind but I can do this easily on my computer.)

Of course everyone sounds like "Lurch" but I expect you'd get used to it. ;)
  • anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most TVs have dreadful sound which doesn't help. The auto volume on some TVs is quite good nowadays and worth trying. A sound bar may also help, see if you can try one in a shop.
  • misarmisar Posts: 3,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Winston_1 wrote: »
    Homeplugs make a very distinct chirping sound. Once you hear it you won't forget it.
    One of the problems with them is that they tend to be on 24 hours a day. The other interference you mention is much more intermittent.

As the mods removed my last post on this topic (plus a couple by others) I will rephrase it in purely technical terms. Given the certainty with which you make your claims about Homeplugs in an effort to deter harmless use, can you describe the research you have conducted to prove the "chirping" you hear on a SW radio is emitted by Homeplugs?

For the information of other readers, in addition to many interference sources the SW spectrum is full of genuine non-audio digital transmissions (from fax, telex, beacons, etc) which listeners might readily describe as "chirping".
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    JonCollett wrote: »
    Hello

You asked if there was such a thing as a freeview/freesat receiver with the ability to record, I found this on Ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Technomate-TM-7102-HD-Tripe-Tuner-Satellite-DVB-S2-Terrestrial-T2-Receiver-500GB-/201116708557?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Satellite_TV_Receivers&hash=item2ed37d6ecd

This seems to do some of ehat you want - I haevn't seen one with a built in DVD player though (but that doesn't mean that one doesn't exist).

Best regards

Jon

Thanks for the info Jon, sadly you posted it after I'd bought a Panasonic DMR PWT530 Blu Ray & PVR freeview+ I'm very happy with it.. I'm intending to get a TVLink Plus so that I can watch my recorded programmes in my bedroom.

Thanks to everyone for the answers, though to be honest the bickering about wireless interferance was not helpful at all. Perhaps you should have a dedicated wireless quibbling thread just for you...

Anyhow, not letting that detract. I'm now very happy and thanks for the answers guys
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    a suggestion. if u have a computer then get plug in tv tuners for both freeview and satellite. then just record ! and catchup tv works on it as well of course. make sure both tuners work with the freeview and feesat programme listings and have the correct software drivers for your version of windows. or you can buy a "media centre" computer with all these bits already fitted and guaranteed working no setup problems.

otherwise its a computer for catchup and recording type broadcast tv receivers plus the remote controls ..........

tv link magic eyes still work with freeview and freesat using philex omnimax instead. same system but works with standalone freeview and freesat receivers. but not computers.