Options

Doctor Who 21st may

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Now, "The Empty Child" apparently includes no spoiler after the cliffhanger because of viewer complaints after "Aliens of London" so it sounds like a victory for viewer power to me. :cool: :eek:

I heard that too - v happy about that! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,690
    Forum Member
    Even though this is only purported to be true in the original post, I think it counts as a spoiler since the source is said to be at the BBC - it can't hurt to cover it with a spoiler tag can it? :o :eek:
    Point taken - and I have covered it up. Maybe you could do the same? :)
  • Options
    JohnFlawbodJohnFlawbod Posts: 4,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [/SPOILER]

I think this spoiler is rubbish as if you think it is true, then why does he keep saving the world?
    If mind wiping is involved, it could be true david - let's see see how The Doctor behaves in future episodes...with the benefit of hindsight (once the series is over) it might be that he was in fact compelled to save himself and the world was just there...I'm sure of RTD's ability to make it all make sense...so far :o There is a thread of darkness to CE we've all noticed: random acts of violence, torturing the dalek...did he sacrifice himself in "Father's Day" or did he just miscalculate the power of The Reapers? Who knows...I, for one, will be trying to look for clues in between the scary bits tonight especially in his reaction to
    Captain Jack who might well prove to be a large fly in his ointment
    ...still not convinced the series will end this way but happy to remain agnostic for now :D :eek:
  • Options
    Beth HartBeth Hart Posts: 6,183
    Forum Member
    Just popping my usual post about the poll. If there isn't poll by 8pm please can you alert this post using the red alert button on it, this will very quickly remind me to add the poll.

Beth.
  • Options
    cj592cj592 Posts: 4,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jimboc wrote:
    Looks like you're right Den. From the BBC website re the last ep of DW Confidential:

Episode 13, Finale, is retitled The Last Battle. The show relives the highs and lows of the Ninth Doctor's time with Rose, and sees Christopher Eccleston taking his final bow.

Does this mean this is going to be a flashback episode featuring old clips? I hope not. This used to happen with Firends in the later series. I thought it was just a lazy way of filling an episode slot

Cj :(
  • Options
    KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If mind wiping is involved, it could be true david - let's see see how The Doctor behaves in future episodes...with the benefit of hindsight (once the series is over) it might be that he was in fact compelled to save himself and the world was just there...I'm sure of RTD's ability to make it all make sense...so far :o There is a thread of darkness to CE we've all noticed: random acts of violence, torturing the dalek...did he sacrifice himself in "Father's Day" or did he just miscalculate the power of The Reapers? Who knows...I, for one, will be trying to look for clues in between the scary bits tonight especially in his reaction to
    Captain Jack who might well prove to be a large fly in his ointment
    ...still not convinced the series will end this way but happy to remain agnostic for now :D :eek:

I don't remember DW "torturing" the Dalek - taunting it, yes, certainly. Does that count as dark? Maybe.

K
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cj592 wrote:
    Does this mean this is going to be a flashback episode featuring old clips? I hope not. This used to happen with Firends in the later series. I thought it was just a lazy way of filling an episode slot

Cj :(

Note, that's the last episode of DWC, not DW.

K
  • Options
    cj592cj592 Posts: 4,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KennyT wrote:
    Note, that's the last episode of DWC, not DW.

K

Phew

And Am I the only one that thinks
    That aliens of london and world war three were great episodes.

Cj
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KennyT wrote:
    I don't remember DW "torturing" the Dalek - taunting it, yes, certainly. Does that count as dark? Maybe.

K
    As the Doctor zaps up the juice into the Dalek it says "have pity" to which he replies, "Why, did you ever show any?" or words to that effect - then he's dragged away from the controls.

Done Den, ain't technology grand? I still have probs with my toaster though... :D

Thanks Beth...looks like "Father's Day" was a bit of a triumph judging by the poll results then?

I'm going to throw
    the Doctor coming across "the unearthly child" reference
    from this week's press release for "The Empty Child" back into the ring at this point as it's been nagging at the back of my head (and no, it isn't a flea!) as something that is surely not accidental. :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    There is a "Bad Wolf" thread, a "Billy leaving" thread and indeed a "Bad Wolf" thread forum site elsewhere for conjecture if people are that worried about confusing posters - there's no point in complaining about threads going off point and then saying: but I think this is going to happen in the end....in my opinion, anyway.
    Traditionally John, we have had problems in the past in that we were originally told to keep posts about DW to a single thread.

Posters had been told to "feck off" for starting multiple threads (I kid you not), and there were complaints of 'not another DW thread' from tv forum members, so out of regard for other members of the tv forum, we restricted ourselves to posting everything in the one thread, hence the speculation and everything else gets added into the single episode thread.

We did request a seperate sci-fi sub forum - I myself wrote a very polite request detailing everyone's points as to the advantages of this. Unfortunately, although several of us took this approach, the request has at present time been denied. We have also been told that starting extra threads would not help the case.

We have been promised that this will be looked at in the future, so at present time I'm at a bit of a loss as to how we progress this. Due to the fact that we had to be restricted to one thread, nobody really objected when people veered 'off topic' in this thread, as long as it was DW related.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cj592 wrote:
    Phew

And Am I the only one that thinks
    That aliens of london and world war three were great episodes.

Cj
    I loved them cj although I too coud've done without the farting gags but then as I said before, my nephew and niece loved the Slitheen more because of them...I think I may shut up for a while and ponder the FA Cup for a while...ah, FA Cup, scary Doctor Who episode, Eurovision...just like old times... :eek: :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Done Den, ain't technology grand?

I'm going to throw
    the Doctor coming across "the unearthly child" reference
    from this week's press release for "The Empty Child" back into the ring at this point as it's been nagging at the back of my head (and no, it isn't a flea!) as something that is surely not accidental. :eek:
    Sometimes :D

I really like your idea that it could be you know who - and as you say, it would tie up a very big loose end!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As the Doctor zaps up the juice into the Dalek it says "have pity" to which he replies, "Why, did you ever show any?" or words to that effect - then he's dragged away from the controls.

Hmmm, I thought he was just trying to kill the Dalek, not torture it!

K
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, I thought 'torture' was a gross exaggeration, imho.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DenWatts wrote:

I really like your idea that it could be you know who - and as you say, it would tie up a very big loose end!

I must have missed that part of the thread...so who do you think it could be then?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DenWatts wrote:

It would indeed - now is the fact that the poster on the BBC homepage is titled: "The Empty Child" just a font of the day or is it making a stress point? Also, love the spooky child voice in the BG of the page BBC, hope this is on the soundtrack tonight... :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I must have missed that part of the thread...so who do you think it could be then?
    Mr Flawbod came up with the idea that it could be
    Susan, the Doctor's granddaughter.
    I think he has something there, since the choice of words in the synopsis would surely not be coincidental?

Maybe Doctor #9 leaves her with Doctor #1 before going off to Boomtown?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hiya BG, I speculated that
    "the unearthly child" reference in the Press Release pointed to the first ep and therefore Susan who although was "school age" in 1963 might not have been chronologically...
    just a flight of fancy really but then I'm given to them these days :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hiya BG, I speculated that
    "the unearthly child" reference in the Press Release pointed to the first ep and therefore Susan who although was "school age" in 1963 might not have been chronologically...
    just a flight of fancy really but then I'm given to them these days :D

That would be a turn up for the books and an interesting element to this story.

I am looking forward to seeing how the dynamic between the Dcotor and Rose changes with the arrival of Captain Jack on the scene. I think he is going to be more than just your conventional bad guy....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    Oh yes, I forgot.

Harkness as in "Darkness" ;)

Still it's only a name. It's still possible that CJ could be VS.

So what Gwynneth actually said was: "The things you've seen... Jack Harkness... The big bad Wolf..." :rolleyes: ;) :rolleyes: ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    .....continued from the 14th May thread:

OK I lied, but it seems ridiculous to have duplicate threads running at the same time.... :rolleyes: :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jimboc wrote:
    .....continued from the 14th May thread:

OK I lied, but it seems ridiculous to have duplicate threads running at the same time.... :rolleyes: :confused:
    lol, nice one jimboc, but if posters aren't able to distinguish the dates for themselves then either you're underestimating their intelligence or they will remain confused no matter how many attempts are made to close down the appeal and contributions of threads by making second tier rules for a "we" that really oughtn't to exist in an open discussion forum... :cool: :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lol, nice one jimboc, but if posters aren't able to distinguish the dates for themselves then either you're underestimating their intelligence or they will remain confused no matter how many attempts are made to close down the appeal and contributions of threads by making second tier rules for a "we" that really oughtn't to exist in an open discussion forum... :cool: :eek:

I didn't mean to doubt anyone's intelligence - I was just being a smart arse to be honest!

Anyway we all know about parallel universes - Inferno is one of my favourite stories, so why can't the two threads co-exist eh?

I think I need some fresh air - back later!!

:D:confused: :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now for those who used to squeeze their presents before Christmas and just had to read the last page of Agatha Christie novels to see whodunnit, the following preview's posted on the DWAS website but be warned...there are many episode spoilers therein so if you don't want to know the results, don't watch the news before Match of the Day! :D

http://dwas.drwho.org/reviews/theemptychild-jh

Oh...do I press the button or not...oh...mmm...oh... :eek: :eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    I loved them cj although I too coud've done without the farting gags but then as I said before, my nephew and niece loved the Slitheen more because of them...

I already said this in another thread, but I think "AoL"/"WW3" should've had human terrorists, not aliens, as the villians. They'd still be taking over 10 Downing Street to start a nuclear war for their own purposes. They'd still do it by faking a spaceship crash in central London. They'd still need to gather all the UNIT experts (including the Doctor) and kill them before the crash is exposed as a fake. The only real changes would be losing the fart jokes and the unconvincing monster suits.

There are a couple of big story-telling advantages to using human villains instead of aliens. For example, it would give the Doctor a satisfying response to Rose's mother demanding, "But can you keep her safe?" He could reply, "No, but could you keep her safe here on Earth? How can you be sure she won't be killed my more terrorists tomorrow?" That's better than the silly "only ten seconds" compromise we got.

It's just a shame that RTD seems so determined to pack aliens and monsters into stories which don't need them!